German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Just be aware some gsds can fool you into a false sense of security and lead you to think they can be trusted around chickens. Two of my gsds have full chicken access privileges and two are now limited access only.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
If you haven't started thinking about it already - you may need to plan for a brooder expansion. We did ours at 3 weeks old because they outgrew what we had planned for 6 chicks. They can start picking on each other if they don't have enough room. Mine are 4 weeks and already trying to fly out of the brooder to visit us!

Our next project is re doing the coop and run because it isn't big enough for all the chicks once they integrate with the older gals.
I've been thinking about the brooder also. I have several ex-pens left over from when the dogs were puppies, and also several fold-able play yards for the kids, I'm hoping that I can attach several pens with zip ties, put a tarp underneath and maybe cardboard along the sides, and cover the top with chicken wire or something. I doubt it'll be very pretty but hopefully it'll be okay until they're feathered out enough to go outside?? Good luck on your coop and run! My husband's supportive of the chickens, as long as he doesn't have to do anything (haha), so our coop is being built and delivered. Should be here soon. I think I'll try to build the run myself...though I might have someone put the posts in for me, or at least get quotes.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
see. chicken math is real.

I think the last time I posted I was getting 9 chicks (up from my original order of 6) and I now have 12-4 week olds. I added 3 more from a feed store while my husband was out of the country.
Yes! It is much too easy to click "add to cart" when ordering from the online hatcheries!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I've been thinking about the brooder also. I have several ex-pens left over from when the dogs were puppies, and also several fold-able play yards for the kids, I'm hoping that I can attach several pens with zip ties, put a tarp underneath and maybe cardboard along the sides, and cover the top with chicken wire or something. I doubt it'll be very pretty but hopefully it'll be okay until they're feathered out enough to go outside?? Good luck on your coop and run! My husband's supportive of the chickens, as long as he doesn't have to do anything (haha), so our coop is being built and delivered. Should be here soon. I think I'll try to build the run myself...though I might have someone put the posts in for me, or at least get quotes.
It doesn't have to be fancy - just functional. Ours is just a plywood box and my husband just attached a second box (same size as the first) to expand. both sections have lids. I added things like small branches and made a quasi roost out of scrap wood. Gives them stuff to climb on. My brooder is much improved over last year - you learn and redo lol.

My husband likes the chickens, but I get all the day to day work and cleaning. He does build stuff though - mostly because he likes those types of projects.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I’m so envious of all of you. Our neighbors had chickens for a while and they suddenly disappeared overnight. I didn’t know if they ate them or someone turned them into AC for hosting “exotic animals.”

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of my neighbors has a GSD and geese, the dog never even looks at the geese and he is out there with his master. I think he probably started when the dog was a puppy.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts