German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...

How do your dogs ride in your cars? Do you use harnesses and/ or seatbelts? Does your pup like car rides?

What car do you drive? Did you purchase it with your dogs in mind? Is there anything that you love about your vehicle that is particularly useful?

And finally, does your dog bark at people/ dogs from the inside of your vehicle? And how do you correct it?

A little bit of context, I have a Mazda 3 hatchback, where Titus rides. Juno is in the backseat. Juno barks at people. Titus barks at dogs, and they both lose their minds. Then I lose my mind, because I cannot make them stop :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
For now, Freya rides in a crate in the back of my Jeep Wrangler (four door model). I leave one seat down so we can see each other. She is quiet currently, and it only took three or four rides for her to calm down (and lie down) while riding. She is super interested in looking out the windows, though. I think she hasn't barked because she can't actually see anything yet.

I do plan to have her ride in the back seat eventually, and I was considering one of the short leads that the seat belt can loop through that gives the dog enough space to move around but would protect them from any sudden braking lurches. But I haven't yet pursued that option.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My dogs ride in 42” crates in the back of my mini van. With two big dogs and two big crates, I knew I needed a car that could haul everything when I bought it. Archer’s crate is covered and he can’t see out, so he doesn’t ever bark. He hates riding loose in the car and whines until I put him in his crate. He loves car rides and begs to go in the car any chance he gets.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
How do your dogs ride in your cars? Do you use harnesses and/ or seatbelts? Does your pup like car rides?

What car do you drive? Did you purchase it with your dogs in mind? Is there anything that you love about your vehicle that is particularly useful?

And finally, does your dog bark at people/ dogs from the inside of your vehicle? And how do you correct it?
Keystone loves car rides...almost as much as the destination. he rides in the cargo area, i don’t use a seatbelt/harness or crate, but if i did i’d choose a crate. I have a VW Tiguan... i considered the dogs a bit when i purchased it, but there are plenty cars i passed on that are better for dogs.... i like what i like. Keystone only barks at air dancers... i let him. if i have a headache i have routes to avoid them. he will growl if a sketchy person is too close to the car, but i consider it appropriate and allow it as well. i’d probably crate a nuisance barker.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
We have a VW wagon. Bought in part with the dogs in mind. We don't have space for crates with three of them, and our gear! They're either secured via carabiners in the hatchback clicked into the childseat locking, or lately, in the backseat with seatbelts (though we have a seat cover and I cannot for the life of me see to do up the seatbelts!(.

We use these Ruffwear harnesses: Load Up™ Dog Car Harness | Ruffwear. They're made for vehicle restraint.

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine ride in XL Ruffland kennels strapped down in the back of my husband's truck (capped bed). Not ideal, and I'm hoping to get a Ford Transit Connect XLT or Toyota Sienna when he comes to visit this year. They do not bark at people or dogs passing by. SV Judge at our USCA trial last November set down his paperwork and coffee on my tailgate with no reaction. I severely dislike barking when crated, but I've never had to deal with correcting the issue. Usually it's FOMO when mine do it (one is out being worked and the other is crated).

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ellie was the only one that barked, almost always at boy dogs. Floozie liked to ride around town garage saling. The rest usually sit in the back of the jeep and watch out the windows, until we stop, then it's into the driver's seat. Jake was the only one that growled if someone came up to the car. For new dogs, I usually sit in the back with the new dog on a leash. I throw old comforters into the back so they usually learn pretty quick to sit there. We bought the jeep Liberty for the 4wd and the cargo space, not dogs but it's what we use to drive dogs around. We drove across the country with the pitty and he was a fusser for the first hour every day. Got better when he figured out Burger King has a drive up (!) and most Holiday Inns allow dogs. But for the most part they just sit in the back with the back seat up. makes a pretty good enclosure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Safest way is in crates, and some crates are reputedly better than others. I have a Ruffland aka Ruff Tuff, and the X large fits in backseat of a crewcab pickup truck.
That said, we have also let our dogs ride in the cabin of vehicles, old-school style. I don't recommend this, I simply admit to doing it sometimes. If you do it, make sure you lock out the electric windows if your car is so equipped.

My current dogs are not huge barkers from inside the vehicle. At least not so far. We had a previous GSD who guarded every perimeter fiercely, including the car. That didn't mean she barked at every single person who got within 25 feet. The person had to be within fairly close reach of the car to trigger it. I considered it a security system of sorts, and did not discourage it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We had minivans for years, 4 in a row, the last 3 Toyota Siennas. Highly recommend but that's another discussion.
3 kids, always a 90-100 pound GSD and 20X/yr trips 2+ hours away to the cottage. The dogs almost always sat between the front seats, dangerous I guess but we didn't think/know any better. The back was always full of cottage gear, a huge cooler and bags of clothes and food.

When we got down a kid, we bought a Honda CRV (mid sized SUV). Still had an 80 pound GSD in the back. We had to put 1/3 of the back seats down so he could stand semi up front. Dangerous but we didn't know any better. He would whine non stop if we put him in the back and STANDS the entire 2-3 hour trip every time. Weird because he LOVES going in the car each and every time I go anywhere. You can't open the back to get something out without him jumping in.

Then we got the new pup, 7 months now and will be over sized (already much taller than the 80 pounder but skinny as all get out. From the first day bringing him home, he settled right away in the car and basically lays/sleeps the entire way. Exact opposite of his older mentor, go figure. Neither one barks at anything in the car but the young boy does guard at home so he's the one who would if either of them. If he started and wouldn't stop, I'd have my family/passenger sit in the back and correct the behaviour.

I don't travel with them in the absolute safest manner but it's what we do.

PS, I got my first GSD of my own at 16 years old, had a two seater Honda CRX hatchback that the dog would jump right in and lay/crouch down in because there wasn't enough room to stand. It sure wouldn't hold a crate :sneaky: I took that dog everywhere with me; hiking/camping/fishing/climbing.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I drove a Mazda 3. If you drop the seats you might fit one crate but not two.
So, my solution to behaviors that annoy me is teach them to do it on cue. That allows me to put start and stop cues in place.
I taught Sabs "find the ugly people" 🤣 because I am a twisted human.
She would sit quiet as a mouse until I said it, then pick some random person and bark like mad, get her treat and be quiet again. If she did it without the cue she got nothing. It was strictly a car game, and it stopped all the other barking in the car. Except the "certifying" of cars on the highway. Not sure what her qualifying factors were, but random cars needed to be barked at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 4x4,so far Rudolf has been doing good,lays in the back seat on blanket on a harness.no barking yet.Has done this since I got him Friday.So far he loves my truck and my 1969 Plymouth Fury III.Riding in the Plymouth Fury III,same way

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Not in the front seat, if the airbags were to activate I'd have a dead or badly injured dog. Nitro rides in the back seat of my Toyota Yaris hatchback, in his harness which is plugged into the seatbelt 'port'. The car is his favourite place, he loves cars. If I was to walk him past a vehicle with an open door, he'd want to jump in. The Yaris is too small to fit his airline crate, even with the rear seats down.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, my solution to behaviors that annoy me is teach them to do it on cue. That allows me to put start and stop cues in place.
She would sit quiet as a mouse until I said it, then pick some random person and bark like mad, get her treat and be quiet again. If she did it without the cue she got nothing. It was strictly a car game, and it stopped all the other barking in the car. Except the "certifying" of cars on the highway. Not sure what her qualifying factors were, but random cars needed to be barked at.
I am so going to teach Juno that game! Did you really say "Sabi, find the ugly people"? Was that the command work?

I don't like my neighbour, so I let Juno bark at her :ROFLMAO: longer than at anybody else.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My GSD isn't a barker but a whiner. It's getting a little better with time, and she doesn't whine if she can stick her head out the window (pretty sure it's just epic excitement whining). This is in the backseat of my Honda Accord. I've tried strapping her in (harness carabinered to seatbelt) and she hates it, makes the whining worse. So I just let her ride back there with the window open and it's tolerable.

I also have a work truck, currently a Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab. I got a Ruffland kennel (L size, she's on the small side for a GSD...65 pounds) because we're not allowed to have dogs inside the truck. It straps down into the bed and she seems to be fine with it; idk if she whines, can't hear it. :) I don't think the kennel will fit into my Accord backseat, if it does I might have her ride around in that for safety.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Greetings...

A little bit of context, I have a Mazda 3 hatchback, where Titus rides. Juno is in the backseat. Juno barks at people. Titus barks at dogs, and they both lose their minds. Then I lose my mind, because I cannot make them stop :p
Kias loved car rides. He'd just doze in the back beside someone. We used a crate sometimes (because we can take the seats out of our car) and when we couldn't fit it he just sat on the floor.
We have a Nissan NV 3500. It's like a comfortable passenger/work hybrid van. You can carry anything in it comfortably, from furniture to 12 people.
Kias did bark. He always had his stuff on when we took car rides, so I corrected with a pop of his prong collar.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Too funny! :LOL: I'm gonna teach that one.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My dog loves car rides. It means he’s going somewhere with mommy. He jumps right in. lol

He’s great in the car. I have a SUV and he sits behind the driver’s seat in a harness. I have a dog seat cover back there. He never even attempts to get in the front seat. He’s not a big whiner in the car unless I get out and leave him in there. It used to be much worse than it is now. As an adolescent, you could hear his screams down the block. lolol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts