German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we just got Agis Wednesday night, 3 mo old GSD/Rottie mix, completely unsocialized, completely upheaved through rescue/shelter system coming from Northern Manitoba to Toronto and passing through a number of different places on the way. Didn't understand the outside.

He's finally starting to explore more outside, still a little barky at bigger dogs but calms down if they come over (he's getting over kennel cough, so I tell people, keep your dog away, some people are just so into puppies or apparently aren't fussed about their own dogs - perhaps they're vaccinated - that they come over anyhow). Today, he barked at a dog and got our beagle (piercing bay) going - our beagle likes to bay at other dogs at the best of times, so that was great. His 'quiet' command went out the window when his little brother barked...

But - we were walking around the lawn, because he's still not used to the leash enough to go for a walk around the block (I have refitted his harness, but he doesn't like the pressure - getting a bit better, and walking more! He's pooping and peeing pretty well outside).

I'm digressing. There is a large grate over an opening I can only imagine is a huge vent from our apartment complex's underground garage - and he chose to walk over it, on the grate! Not only did he walk (which with him is an accomplishment in and of itself), but he picked a weird surface and handled it like a pro. It must be over 2m he walked across this huge grate which for a 16.5lb puppy is pretty good I think.

GSD (mixes) are the best! Such mentally with-it dogs. The big dogs never walk across that grate!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
He's better than my guy! My guy was so afraid of storm drains/sewer grates for months. We would have to make a big detour around them. Now he stands at the edge and sniffs them and looks inside them, but he still won't walk over them!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! He’s still learning lots and apparently cries if we leave (we went out for a few hours Saturday and I was gone in and out for a total of 20 minutes Sunday) - our neighbour two floors up informed us she can hear him in certain rooms like the bedroom but as she’s quiet at night - she can stick it. She loves animals though so I took him to meet her and she decided he just needed time to settle. We’re getting an anxiety diffuser and a radio today.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Our dog before Kias used to be sooooo afraid of the grates too. He absolutely hated them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts