German Shepherds Forum banner

281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
You will not prefer them if you have to carry them!
The issue is that most often people who brag that their GSD is over 100 lbs have fat dogs. Large specimens do occur in litters from parents of standard size, but it should never be a goal of a breeder.
No doubt, but how often do you have to carry a German Shepherd?:whistle:
I pick up my boy now and again just to mess with him because it gives him the zoomies but even my vet examines him on the floor or has a lift table if necessary and they jump in the back of the SUV easily until they are very old.

Like it or not, even very reputable breeders are breeding larger dogs these days since that's what people want. Breeding just for size at the expense of overall health obviously would be a problem but there are a ton of "oversized" to breed standard dogs that are terrific examples of the breed and healthy. I do agree that you see a lot of over weight GSD mainly from a lack of required exercise and over feeding of "treats" imo. Even more so in labs but that's a people problem not breeding for size.

btw, as far as I know, the AKC official breed standard doesn't even include a weight range standard.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
No doubt, but how often do you have to carry a German Shepherd?:whistle:
I pick up my boy now and again just to mess with him because it gives him the zoomies but even my vet examines him on the floor or has a lift table if necessary and they jump in the back of the SUV easily until they are very old.

Like it or not, even very reputable breeders are breeding larger dogs these days since that's what people want. Breeding just for size at the expense of overall health obviously would be a problem but there are a ton of "oversized" to breed standard dogs that are terrific examples of the breed and healthy. I do agree that you see a lot of over weight GSD mainly from a lack of required exercise and over feeding of "treats" imo. Even more so in labs but that's a people problem not breeding for size.

btw, as far as I know, the AKC official breed standard doesn't even include a weight range standard.
I had to be able to lift and carry my dog, 50 yards, once a month, every month if I was to continue working. All 82lbs of the big witch. Lol. Bud was somewhere around 96lbs. I also routinely needed to lift into or over things in the course of our patrols. If one is an avid back country hiker it is worth considering as well. Military handlers also must be able to lift and carry their dogs. LE lift their dogs and there may be a need to carry them, I don't know if it is a qualification or not.
This is a working breed. And a breed that was intended as a partner for a human.
Bud was a lovely example of the breed, biased here lol, moderately over but not extreme from standard parents. I kept him on the thinner side on purpose since he was injured as a pup and there was concern there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
not me! Too big!

my 5yo male is about 26 1/2" and about 85 lbs.

Good size for a GSD.

100+ is too big in my opinion (and according to the standard as well)
100 pounds is not to big. My gsd was breed to big big and is now all muscle and 120 lbs

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
This is Molly. She was a big boned girl, and carried her weight well. She averaged 135 lbs. During the later stage of life, I had to rig a ramp to get her into the Jeep. She was worth it. Fantastic GSD.

·
Registered
914 Posts
We just got a scale recently, haven't had one for a few years.

Rogan is 7 months and weighs 82-85 pounds (scale jumps around a little because I'm carrying him, scale is accurate to my doctors) and 27.5" at the withers. He's about the same weight as my 6 yo GSD (80 pounds) but markedly taller. At 5 months old, he was 58 pounds iirc.

When he fills out, he'll be a big boy, his paws are not just large but tall heavy pads. I admit to being biased towards larger GSD (80+ pounds) but health is paramount. Rogan will likely tip the scales at ~90-100, his father was the largest GSD I have ever personally seen. I have had 3 females that were 90+ and all beautiful healthy lean dogs

·
Registered
914 Posts
Note this is a huge 42" round dog bed and he overflows it at 7 months and 82 pounds. Very tall, very long dog already

·
Registered
914 Posts

This is my pups father. One of the largest GSD I have ever personally seen (not pictures).
I never asked what he weighed but he had to be 120-130, not fat at all.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I had to be able to lift and carry my dog, 50 yards, once a month, every month if I was to continue working. All 82lbs of the big witch. Lol. Bud was somewhere around 96lbs. I also routinely needed to lift into or over things in the course of our patrols. If one is an avid back country hiker it is worth considering as well. Military handlers also must be able to lift and carry their dogs. LE lift their dogs and there may be a need to carry them, I don't know if it is a qualification or not.
This is a working breed. And a breed that was intended as a partner for a human.
Bud was a lovely example of the breed, biased here lol, moderately over but not extreme from standard parents. I kept him on the thinner side on purpose since he was injured as a pup and there was concern there.
Yup! currently on the search for a smaller female for this reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just looking for a good watch dog/family dog for inside with us. I figured it would be in the standard weight range. I wasn’t looking for something larger than normal. I’ve had great GS before. So, I’m very attracted to the breed.

The sweetest/family orientated/best GS I found is a rescued female that is 103 lb, 26 inches. She looks full blood GS. She’s 6. The vet said if I hadn’t walked in with records dating back to when she was four months old, her hips, eyes, and everything else would cause him to think she was only 3. He said didn’t detect any triggers to pay attention to: aggression, guarding, shyness, etc.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Waiting for someone to tell me my 9 month old 100 pound boy is over weight. Considering so many people on this thread said "98% of them are obese" .... I'm waiting .... I guess I have the 2% and have had previously too ..... :ROFLMAO:

Ideally,I admit that I'd like slightly taller, 90 pound males, just over breed standard. As long as they can do some agility type work and multi hour hikes and chase rabbits and squirrels all day, I'm good.

Here's all legs and all ribs fat boy :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
Gia made it to 102lbs before. Here’s a photo from around that time. She was 27”. Far from obese but larger than i would have liked....85 was nice and where she was most of her life.
70873651-C977-4C8B-8A94-DA806E6151BF.jpeg

·
Registered
440 Posts
Waiting for someone to tell me my 9 month old 100 pound boy is over weight. Considering so many people on this thread said "98% of them are obese" .... I'm waiting .... I guess I have the 2% and have had previously too ..... :ROFLMAO:

Ideally,I admit that I'd like slightly taller, 90 pound males, just over breed standard. As long as they can do some agility type work and multi hour hikes and chase rabbits and squirrels all day, I'm good.

Here's all legs and all ribs fat boy :rolleyes:
View attachment 562783

View attachment 562784
Where did you get your boy from?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I lucked into this thread at precisely the right moment. I just arrived from weighing my nearly 6.75 month old male pup and he tipped the scales at 73 lbs. I was not expecting that much weight since he is bred from working lines and he is not overweight at all. His mother is on the small side and his sire is not a particularly large dog (estimate at 80 lbs). I wanted a GSD that fit the working line breed characteristics and now I am a bit concerned that he may exceed working line size guidelines.
Will his height along with his weight at this stage provide a fairly reliable estimate of his ultimate size?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Just like people, dogs stop and start at all different levels and proceed at different stop and start rates of growth. Parents are a reasonably good estimation of average offspring but I have seen 100 pound pups come from an 80 pound sire /w a 60 pound dam.

Put up a pic or two from your pup, he sounds fabulous. My pup was over 80 pounds at 7 months, now over 100 at 10 months (yesterday) and still very lean. I'm hoping he stops around here and just fills out a little.

281 - 300 of 305 Posts