German Shepherds Forum banner

261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Rollo looking handsome as ever.
On occasion a big GSD comes along, Bud was mid 90's and kept very lean. I like to see a couple of ribs on my dogs. Neither of his parents were over size. In truth I have met a good many males that hit very near to the 100lb mark and were lean and fit. But nearly every time someone TELLS me their dog is over 100lbs, what it is is overweight. This whole thread kind of proves that.
Thanks for the kind words. And I would generally agree with that!

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. And I would generally agree with that!
Rollo is a good looking dog. I love his face and you clearly keep him fit and active.
I had the biggest dog on our team with Sabs and having carried her every month to meet or fitness testing I can tell you I am NOT in the market for a dog much over standard. Lol. I will keep my 60lb "purse dog" thanks!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Rollo is a good looking dog. I love his face and you clearly keep him fit and active.
I had the biggest dog on our team with Sabs and having carried her every month to meet or fitness testing I can tell you I am NOT in the market for a dog much over standard. Lol. I will keep my 60lb "purse dog" thanks!
It definitely is a lot lol - 60lbs sounds like the perfect size!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it’s fine because a normal German shepherd is 75 to 85 or 90 pounds but a big German shepherd is at least 100 to 120 pounds and that not bad my dogs weigh about 120 and very lean and tall

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think a 100 pound dog for a male is good because u don’t want your dog very slim and small and they get big from there tallness and not fat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually no, that's oversized. Up until Halo all of our females have been in the 72-78 pound range, but the German standard for a female is approximately 48-1/2 pounds to 70-1/2 pounds (converted from kgs). Halo is usually around 55, pounds, so she's our first that's within standard.
  • A standard female is between 50 to 70 pounds 78 isn’t oversized but 55 pounds is good unless she is a baby and not fully grown

·
Registered
8 Posts
My vet guesses that Baymax will get over 100 pounds easily. At 5 months old, he was 67 pounds, so I can only imagine what he weighs now. I'll be taking him for his year checkup in a couple of weeks, so he will get weighed and everything. My guess is he is probably about 90 pounds now, and he still has growing and filling out to do.

Wasn't my plan to get a dog so big, but oh well. Life happens like that sometimes, haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you because people think that there dog have to be on the right scale but your dog is healthy and a little oversized then normal it’s fine as long as your dog walk and run fine then ever thing is good

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Sch dog was 96 pounds working weight. No fat. He could do the AD test with out the breaks any time. He was two inches over size height. Bred from import Sch dam and sire. The sire was 105 pounds working weight , dam was 90.
He was on the training field nearly every day of his life. He was a great dog, very easy with the kids. In fact they were his " flock". When my ex wife yelled at them he would pace back and forth between them never growling or barking but very watch full. When I would come out to settle things he would look to me and look to the kids like " I need a little help here". Great dog.

I see many chubby GSD at classes, as well as other breeds. Most are so structurally so bad they can hardly walk let alone do any thing that takes much effort. Many will just lay down and sack out in the class down times. I guess I'm just a weird old man. All of my dogs have been physically fit right up to their end. We go on daily walks regardless of weather. Most days we get out in the fields on a very long leash. I like to practice recalls as it gives the dog run time over rough ground. It really strengthens the feet and legs and let's them twist and turn around obsticals.

My Aussie gets just 1 cup of dog food per day and lunch time left overs of what ever we are having. At most another cup. She gets plenty of treats during the day training too. She is very solid at 58 pounds.
I have a question is she a baby or just small not to be rude but do have pictures and not to be rude but isn’t that almost to like a underweight dog

·
Super Moderator
32,341 Posts
A standard female is between 50 to 70 pounds 78 isn’t oversized but 55 pounds is good unless she is a baby and not fully grown
Huh? If the standard specifies a certain weight range, a dog over that range is by definition, oversized.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I think it’s fine because a normal German shepherd is 75 to 85 or 90 pounds but a big German shepherd is at least 100 to 120 pounds and that not bad my dogs weigh about 120 and very lean and tall
Post pictures of your dogs, we like dogs.
Yes some get big, but it is not the norm and should not be the goal.

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
I groomed Russ the other day, and it almost killed me. OMG he’s gotten fat. I swear he’s close to 100 lbs. The kids changed his food and he’s been getting more calories in this new food. So, that big boy is now on a diet. I hope that the next time I see him he’s lost 10 lbs!

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
54 Posts
GSD is a medium-large sized breed. They are not a giant breed or mastiffs. Females should range 50-75lbs while males should range 65-88lbs. There are oversized anomalies that can pop up in normal litters, but I do not understand breeding for weight and size. Odd.
I have a 85lb girl GSD that looks like her lines are Eastern Germany. She is big boned, big headed, big teeth, nerves of steel and a HUGE kind and sweet heart, but she is BIG. Most of my GSDs have been about 70 lbs.

I have an 11 month old girl that is from German working lines and she weights 55 lbs. Two things: Don't let her size fool you. She is the most intense dog that I have every been around -- she is extreme in everything she does. Second: She is a GREAT size for me. She's about 23" tall and is so much easier to get in and out of cars, etc.

I am not a fan of really large GSDs because of the potential health issues. I spend money each month on Extend Joint Supplement ($40/Month) for my big girl to help counteract the inevitable problems I will have due to her size. If you have a 100 lb GSD you should start them on supplements as soon as you can, IMHO.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I had 3 female GSD in a row that were 90 - over 100 lbs and lean. My current male 6 year old is smallish 25" at the withers and ~80 pounds. My other near 6 month old male is close to 70 pounds and will be oversized for sure. He was 62 pounds at 5 months, now eating 2 1/2 cups kibble 3X per day and looks emaciated, all ribs; his father was one of the largest GSD I have ever seen - full jar head and massive chest.

Breed standard or not, I happen to like 90 -100 lb dogs that can still be lean, athletic and impressive.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
I have a 85lb girl GSD that looks like her lines are Eastern Germany. She is big boned, big headed, big teeth, nerves of steel and a HUGE kind and sweet heart, but she is BIG. Most of my GSDs have been about 70 lbs.

I have an 11 month old girl that is from German working lines and she weights 55 lbs. Two things: Don't let her size fool you. She is the most intense dog that I have every been around -- she is extreme in everything she does. Second: She is a GREAT size for me. She's about 23" tall and is so much easier to get in and out of cars, etc.

I am not a fan of really large GSDs because of the potential health issues. I spend money each month on Extend Joint Supplement ($40/Month) for my big girl to help counteract the inevitable problems I will have due to her size. If you have a 100 lb GSD you should start them on supplements as soon as you can, IMHO.
Inevitable problems? Does your dog have a family history of joint problems, health condition, spayed or poor conformation?

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I had 3 female GSD in a row that were 90 - over 100 lbs and lean. My current male 6 year old is smallish 25" at the withers and ~80 pounds. My other near 6 month old male is close to 70 pounds and will be oversized for sure. He was 62 pounds at 5 months, now eating 2 1/2 cups kibble 3X per day and looks emaciated, all ribs; his father was one of the largest GSD I have ever seen - full jar head and massive chest.

Breed standard or not, I happen to like 90 -100 lb dogs that can still be lean, athletic and impressive.
You will not prefer them if you have to carry them!
The issue is that most often people who brag that their GSD is over 100 lbs have fat dogs. Large specimens do occur in litters from parents of standard size, but it should never be a goal of a breeder.

261 - 280 of 305 Posts