German Shepherds Forum banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
GSD is a medium-large sized breed. They are not a giant breed or mastiffs. Females should range 50-75lbs while males should range 65-88lbs. There are oversized anomalies that can pop up in normal litters, but I do not understand breeding for weight and size. Odd.
My schutzhund and patrol dog was 95/pounds working weight. No fat rock solid. From European breeding. We trained and exercise nearly every day. He loved working even if it was trotting along side the bike. All of the dogs in his liter became K9 dogs. The smallest became a bomb and area search dog. He could not be fooled. You could drop a 9mm brass case in the middle of nowhere and he would find it. Never bark or touch it just sit quietly and wait for handler to arrive. Very good tracker too. He was fhe first to be taught hard pavement tracking.he scored a bank robber who got in a car and drove away. The car was spotted and stopped the dog picked out the perp with no help. Again just sat and waited for the handler Watching the perp in the line up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
:wild:

Ah, how I love this forum!
If you like big GSD CHECK OUT King shepherds or Shilo shepherds. These guys are really big. I’ve only seen one up close If I have to get a medical service dog I’ll try for one of these.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My dog is 100% working lines out of West German, Czech, and Slovak lines and is back massed on some old, strong DDR lines and is 26” and 105 pounds. That was not my goal, but despite his size, it only contributes to his working ability. His entries are fast and strong with big grips and aggression

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
My previous dog, a female, weighed 90 lbs with no fat on her. I never measured her height, but she was ROCK SOLID in any situation!

Out of standard in weight yes, but spot on in every other way! Good, solid dog!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not me. But it may just be the bloodline your dog is from. Some GSD’s are bred bigger than others. As long as he’s not overweight it’s fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree about larger dogs being bred for size is a mistake. Jake was 35 lbs when we got him as a puppy from a shelter. (they said he came from CA). He grew to 140 lbs. but his legs were genetically from another dog and were not right for his size. When he reached full size his rear legs had to be re-aligned. He could no longer walk and was in a lot of pain. When he was 7 his heart gave out. Some breeder did not pay much attention to anything but size and my best friend suffered for it. In that he had floppy ears and a curly tail I tend to think there was a Great Pyrenees in their somewhere. (that's his little buddy with him in the pic). Some garbage about a King Shepherd.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I agree about larger dogs being bred for size is a mistake. Jake was 35 lbs when we got him as a puppy from a shelter. (they said he came from CA). He grew to 140 lbs. but his legs were genetically from another dog and were not right for his size. When he reached full size his rear legs had to be re-aligned. He could no longer walk and was in a lot of pain. When he was 7 his heart gave out. Some breeder did not pay much attention to anything but size and my best friend suffered for it. In that he had floppy ears and a curly tail I tend to think there was a Great Pyrenees in their somewhere. (that's his little buddy with him in the pic). Some garbage about a King Shepherd.
Are you acknowledging that Jake was severely overweight in this photo? Or is this him at the referenced “full size”?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jupiter is 80 lbs at 16 months. Oddly, his brother Bear is 100 and his father is 120 (the breeder, who owns both dogs, has told me).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you acknowledging that Jake was severely overweight in this photo? Or is this him at the referenced “full size”?
He was a little overweight which the vet said would have been okay except he needed to lose some to aide in his recovery with legs held together with brackets and screws. He did lost some between cutting his food back and the surgery. He looks a lot bigger laying on the floor like that.

241 - 253 of 253 Posts