German Shepherds Forum banner

221 - 240 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I have a regular vet and also go to a vet for rehab -both will comment if they feel the dog needs to loose weight. When I went for Rorie initial visit for therapy they gave me what they felt her ideal weight should be which I think was around 62 pounds. She has back issues so being overweight would not be good for her

·
Registered
165 Posts
My Sch dog was 96 pounds working weight. No fat. He could do the AD test with out the breaks any time. He was two inches over size height. Bred from import Sch dam and sire. The sire was 105 pounds working weight , dam was 90.
He was on the training field nearly every day of his life. He was a great dog, very easy with the kids. In fact they were his " flock". When my ex wife yelled at them he would pace back and forth between them never growling or barking but very watch full. When I would come out to settle things he would look to me and look to the kids like " I need a little help here". Great dog.

I see many chubby GSD at classes, as well as other breeds. Most are so structurally so bad they can hardly walk let alone do any thing that takes much effort. Many will just lay down and sack out in the class down times. I guess I'm just a weird old man. All of my dogs have been physically fit right up to their end. We go on daily walks regardless of weather. Most days we get out in the fields on a very long leash. I like to practice recalls as it gives the dog run time over rough ground. It really strengthens the feet and legs and let's them twist and turn around obsticals.

My Aussie gets just 1 cup of dog food per day and lunch time left overs of what ever we are having. At most another cup. She gets plenty of treats during the day training too. She is very solid at 58 pounds.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Quoted post was deleted
I think you are failing to take geographical differences into consideration as well... I believe the two posters you quoted are both American... The GSDCA and AKC GSD standard actually do NOT have an official weight range. Just wither height and length proportions, actually the american stand even calls for a taller dog. AKC requires 22-24 inches for bitches, FCI is 55-60cm the conversion differences calls for American dogs to be 1/2 an inch taller.

https://gsdca.org/german-shepherd-dogs/education

Americans do tend to prefer their dogs towards the larger end of the breed spectrum. I can easily see the bitches in American breedings to average closer to 70lbs than 60 without being over weight and out of condition.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'll be honest, I came here for the bickering, BUT those pics of boomer from 2016 were even better. What an excellent representation of a gsd IMO. That dog was in perfect shape

·
Registered
382 Posts
Athena max weight was 101. She was solid when she weight that, vet was shocked she was not overweight. Now she is older and leaner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My male is 97 lbs in working condition. He was not bred to be oversized, in fact, I wish he were smaller. I love a more medium size dog. But he has absolutely everything I love in a GSD otherwise, so his size is what it is ;) He is 3.5 years old currently.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
My male is 97 lbs in working condition. He was not bred to be oversized, in fact, I wish he were smaller. I love a more medium size dog. But he has absolutely everything I love in a GSD otherwise, so his size is what it is
He is 3.5 years old currently.
this dog looks amazing. One of the few who's an actual 97 lean, ripped pounds. Well done!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 9 year old female is 86 pounds. She's reasonably active, and healthy
My new puppy might be over 100 pounds or around there since her dad was 130. he's healthy and not overweight. I purposefully looked for a breeder that produced the body type I liked, and did testing on their breeder dogs hips and elbows.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Last time we weighed Jack, he was 92 lbs at 18 months. He'll probably just hit 100 when he's full grown. He's on the lean side and I can see all of his ribs when he sniffs at something or stretches out, so he's in no way fat--I actually think he could use a tiny bit more weight. He also has the shoulders and hindquarters of an Olympic swimmer... Dog is ripped. Very active.

His sire clocked in at 135 lbs, and the dam at 95. I think he takes after the dam.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My boy ended up oversized and just over 100lbs. He will be four years old in February. He is lean and well muscled. If I could change him, I'd have him on the low end of the german shepherd height and weight range. In an emergency, he is too big and heavy for me to carry him.

221 - 240 of 253 Posts