German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
not me! Too big!

my 5yo male is about 26 1/2" and about 85 lbs.

Good size for a GSD.

100+ is too big in my opinion (and according to the standard as well)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me!

My male is 104 lbs - he is European :) My new little girl is 4.5 months old and already weighing 40 lbs - she was bred in Germany!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My male is 104 lbs - he is European :) My new little girl is 4.5 months old and already weighing 40 lbs - she was bred in Germany!
My male and both females are one generation off all european blood. they are 84, 70, and 62.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Male GSD, Balto only weighs around 68-70 pounds.
However, I rescued him after watching a friends dog for a little.
He was an 115 pound german shepherd,...a very sweet but big dog.
My rescue looks very similar to his dog except for the fact that Balto is a patterned sable. :p

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My male is 26" at the withers and 84lbs. Honestly, perfect size for a working dog.

My female is 24" at the withers and 64lbs. Nice and compact and a great agility working dog. :)

100lbs is huge, and I would wonder about structure and weight issues...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Frank is 28 inches and 83 pounds, at 2.5 years old he still has some filling out to do through his chest and body, but I don't think he'll get any heavier then maybe 88 pounds.
Still a big boy and alot of people guess him at being way over 100 pounds because of his height.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
GSD is a medium-large sized breed. They are not a giant breed or mastiffs. Females should range 50-75lbs while males should range 65-88lbs. There are oversized anomalies that can pop up in normal litters, but I do not understand breeding for weight and size. Odd.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy is a small guy... 2.5 years, 25" and 71 pounds.

I have had several people compliment me on him and guess that he weighs at least 95 pounds...they are shocked when I tell them his actual weight.

I also think some people really don't know how much their dog weighs.

My SIL has a GSD as well, he's tall and 110 pounds....I personally don't like his "look".

I have seen another GSD who weighed a little over 100 and thought he looked good...he was proportioned.

My boy is the perfect size for everything we do together, he's light on his feet. And if I absolutely had to I could lift and carry him.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My Female is at 61-63 pounds, 24 inches at the withers. Perfect in EVERYWAY :D
My male is only 3.5 months old. he weighs right at 32ish pounds.. he will be a big boy, hopefully no more than 90.
I am a firm believer that a gsd over 100 pounds is not something impressive. most of the time it just means they are overweight... This one person on the facebook group I am a member of was like, "this is my 160lb baby"... poor thing had no tuck on it's tummy. it literally looked like a marshmallow with toothpicks for legs. I was sad for the dog...

That being said, I do understand there are cases where the dog is just so tall that 100lbs is what is needed for the frame.. in that case i just say keep the dog lean.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That is fine. But I do not understand breeding for oversized dogs. OFA is nice, but the minimum requirement for breeding. Lots of OFA'd and a stamped dogs out there that I wouldn't dream of breeding. I will stop now before this becomes one of "those" threads :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GSD is a medium-large sized breed. They are not a giant breed or mastiffs. Females should range 50-75lbs while males should range 65-88lbs. There are oversized anomalies that can pop up in normal litters, but I do not understand breeding for weight and size. Odd.
Thanks for the info... I'm aware of the "breed standard" but my question was regarding how many ppl have GSDs over 100lbs. And I agree breeding for weight and size alone is odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is fine. But I do not understand breeding for oversized dogs. OFA is nice, but the minimum requirement for breeding. Lots of OFA'd and a stamped dogs out there that I wouldn't dream of breeding. I will stop now before this becomes one of "those" threads :)
I hear ya lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Female is at 61-63 pounds, 24 inches at the withers. Perfect in EVERYWAY :D
My male is only 3.5 months old. he weighs right at 32ish pounds.. he will be a big boy, hopefully no more than 90.
I am a firm believer that a gsd over 100 pounds is not something impressive. most of the time it just means they are overweight... This one person on the facebook group I am a member of was like, "this is my 160lb baby"... poor thing had no tuck on it's tummy. it literally looked like a marshmallow with toothpicks for legs. I was sad for the dog...

That being said, I do understand there are cases where the dog is just so tall that 100lbs is what is needed for the frame.. in that case i just say keep the dog lean.
Right I'm not talking about fat dogs lol I meant a lean 100+ lbs and healthy.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Some people like big dogs and that's OK. I really have no problem with big dogs. However, size must not compromise the function the dog was bred to do. A Germain shepherd was bred to work for long periods of time. On its feet. Its body should be able to withstand the punishment of working with out breaking down due to carrying extra weight around. My boy is only 66lbs. Small by all standards for a male, but he can go all day if needed with no stress on his joints or back. Some times I do wish he was a little bigger just because everyone who sees him has to tell me about their bigger (meaning better) dog. Remember a German Shepherd Dog was developed as a tending dog. A tending dog is a fence with teeth. They are not suppose to lay down in the middle of the field and keep "watch" over the flocks. They are suppose to run a perimeter for long periods of time. Some breeders have purposely increased the size of the dogs by selectively breeding for larger dogs because the pet market is really impressed with large dogs. The question is does increasing the size of the dog compromise the working ability or longevity of the dog.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts