German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Hard no to dog(s) on furniture or beds (they have their own that I don't lie on)

Just an observation but would have been interesting to add to the poll:
Many of the owners who seem to like dogs on their beds are women and single :sneaky:
I kid, I kid.....a little ....
Perhaps that's a choice.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Allowed on furniture? That’s funny. Uhm. No. Resting at our ankles is fine.

Sleep in bed? That’s funnier. Uhm. No. Sleeping in their on quarters is fine. They’re not permitted on the bedroom level of our home.

Continued success.

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Hard no to dog(s) on furniture or beds (they have their own that I don't lie on)

Just an observation but would have been interesting to add to the poll:
Many of the owners who seem to like dogs on their beds are women and single :sneaky:
I kid, I kid.....a little ....
ha... i generally didn’t allow dogs on the bed/furniture until about 10yrs ago when my (now ex) bf converted me. we also sleep very close/together when camping, so it’s begun to feel pretty natural and i do miss when he’s not in the mix. that said, he sleeps where he wants and it’s not unusual for him to leave the bed for the floor, dog bed, other rooms, etc

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
71 Posts
My husband wanted a GSD for years, I was a cat person. Before we brought our first pup home he repeatedly told me that dogs are not allowed in bed and that I couldn't do that. Within 20 minutes of bringing him home, my husband had him on the bed, lol! That boy and my next pup will sleep on the bed for a few minutes and then move to the floor. My youngest pup is completely attached to me and will not leave the bed if I'm in it. In the winter I sleep on the couch a lot because we heat with wood and its toastier there. We brought my youngest home in February and he slept on top of me on the couch most nights. Not sure how this is going to work this winter, lol!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you picking on me again? Lol.
Dogs snore and kinda smell funny. I see no difference.:p:devilish:
Never picking on you, I love that you don't take my comments too seriously :p
My 7 month old pup used to snore quite a bit when he was younger, it was comical but thankfully he seems to have grown out of it. I hadn't even thought of it again until you mentioned it.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Luna likes to Patrol down stairs. Max is always in my bedroom Either on the floor or bed. I had a good out patient procedure done recently and has not left my side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Grew up in a house where dogs lived outside, from 1960s until I left for college in 1981. That was pretty much the hard rule, though now, my Mom does have a little dog who lives in the house.

Married a lady who loves dogs, and our dogs have always been allowed on couches, and have slept in the bed with us.
Now, for the German Shepherds, all three have had the same pattern. They hop up on the bed when we first lie down. But even in a house that we keep pretty well chilled in the summer, and coolish in winter, they seem to get warm quickly, and hop down on the floor. Often within minutes. It is as if they like the pack to gather, then they find their preferred spot. Usually they sleep on the floor until morning. My wife and I see eye to eye on dogs and their house privileges. Probably part of why we've been married for 31 years now. And when we don't have A dog, we have two.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My current batch of dogs don't sleep with me (Sage used to), but they are normally allowed on the furniture. Lately though I just haven't been able to take Russell looming over me on the couch, so I've kicked everyone off. I do have a separate TV/craft room that Scarlet hangs out in with me (with the Siamese kitties), and she's allowed on the couch in there.

Beautiful dogs!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pistol beats me to the bed, then sprawls out on my side.

Our dogs have always slept on the bed with us, usually they just started out on the bed, then moved to the floor.

Pistol sleeps on the couch, one side is actually his, my husband has the other side and, I have the love seat.

We spoil our dogs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Grew up in a house where dogs lived outside, from 1960s until I left for college in 1981. That was pretty much the hard rule, though now, my Mom does have a little dog who lives in the house.
I wonder if this is more of a generational thing in regards to how pets are viewed? It sounds like I'm in the same age range as you are. We didn't have dogs growing up, just an indoor cat. My mom did not allow the cat on any furniture except for one chair and us kids' beds. Of course no counters or anything. The cat box was in the garage and the cat had to hit the door knob if she needed to go and she was kept in the garage over night. My mom would never have tolerated a cat box in the house.

Looking back at friends that had dogs when I was a kid, seems like they had a lot of similar rules.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Our dogs stayed in the kennels at night. They rarely came in the house more than one at a time. We had one inside dog, an insane terrier that could (and would) climb out of the 6 foot dog runs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wonder if this is more of a generational thing in regards to how pets are viewed? It sounds like I'm in the same age range as you are. We didn't have dogs growing up, just an indoor cat. My mom did not allow the cat on any furniture except for one chair and us kids' beds. Of course no counters or anything. The cat box was in the garage and the cat had to hit the door knob if she needed to go and she was kept in the garage over night. My mom would never have tolerated a cat box in the house.

Looking back at friends that had dogs when I was a kid, seems like they had a lot of similar rules.
My best friend across the street had a GSD who lived in an enclosure, which was about two thirds of his backyard. The rest was reserved for his mom's flower beds,and small patio.
Except in really awful weather, the dogs in my neighborhood mostly stayed outside, especially larger dogs. Toy dogs often were an exception. Frined with GSD had a toy poodle (his Mom's actually) who got to live in the house. Same rule held true for my grandparents as well, until they were well into their 70s, and adopted an Aussie who had been accustomed to house privileges. Then that rule got an exception made;)

We did have cats, but did not have a litterbox in the house until I got into my later teens. The cats would come in the house, however.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I wonder if this is more of a generational thing
It could be partly. But I think it more speaks to background/culture.
I lived on a farm for part of my childhood, and we had no indoor pets, really. But at various times we had a sick calf in the kitchen, a litter of puppies getting bottle fed, an ill chicken in my bedroom, etc. The animals were definitely not pets but we're vital to our lives and treated accordingly.
I left home very young and was adopted by a bunch of stray dogs. Again they weren't pets but were vital to my well being.
My only rule about the furniture now is if I say move they better. Challenging me over it is a no go.
But I struggle to sleep without a dog or six curled around me. Business trips that lasted more then a day or two were hard for me because I couldn't sleep without the dogs.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nitro starts the evening on the floor at the foot of our bed, through the night he usually wanders down to the kitchen for a drink, then hops onto the lounge for a spell, and is usually on the hallway tiles in the morning, even in winter. He knows he isn't allowed on the lounge during the day. Because he was never corrected for going on the lounge at night while we're asleep, he thinks it's permitted then. I remember one night Nitro standing next to the lounge, waiting for me to go to bed, so he could hop up on it. He's such a polite dog...

·
Registered
71 Posts
We allowed our first dog (100lb lab/gsd mix) in our room but not on the bed. When the second came (100 lb black lab), they would scrap at night or groom themselves so they were banished out of the room. My hubby hated that at 2am lol. They were allowed on couches though. When we got Hunter he wasn’t allowed in our room at night and no furniture! He was totally fine with it. He otherwise got the run of the house and totally enjoyed sleeping on my nice hand knotted carpets.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not allowed on any furniture per husband's request lol. I would allow it but we also worry about if her paws aren't perfectly clean. Cannoli is also violently affectionate and if we are on her level that comes out haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

101 - 117 of 117 Posts