German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dixie, aka princess poopaloop when she was little, believes that my sole reason for existing is to serve her! She and her feline sisters are permitted on all the furniture and bed. Dixie is well trained and will obediently move off the couch or chair if told to. Although I get the look of "but I was here first!"? IMG_20180625_194837972_HDR_1542070046512.jpg IMG_20170103_134047_1542069826816.jpg

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I know we will be in the minority here! but for us:
- no dog in bed ever
- no dog in couch ever (he has his own XL memory foam dog bed in the living room)

At night he sleeps either on his dog bed in living room, or on the carpet in our bedroom.
He no longer needs any crate or gate, and is free in house at night and when we go out.

He has a more aloof personality and is not a cuddly dog.
If I lie down too close, too long beside him, he will get up and move a few steps away.
I grew up in a more reserved family, so my dog suits me fine! I love that he does not jump up, does not lick, and I love his dignified reserved manner. He has never shown any desire to be in bed or on the couch with us. He likes to be nearby, dozing or watching us, but not touching us.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I let the dogs in the couches and bed. If they are wet, smelly or shedding heavily I keep them off or if I feel like they are taking over. I cover up the couches to keep them clean. Max is always in my bed and prefers sleeping with pillows. I will soon be starting an aggressive chemo treatment and many are telling me the dogs will not be allowed on the bed and furniture so this will be a big life style change for all. I’m alway snuggling and cuddling with my dogs and also I here that contact should be limited by some people. It is very upsetting to hear this even though I know it’s temporary until my immune system goes back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https[/quote]

This here, that is the way a pup ought to look.

·
Registered
710 Posts
All three of my dogs are allowed on the furniture and sleep in bed at night. I keep everything covered and replace the covers daily.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Samson is allowed on beds and couches. His visits to the beds are brief though. Pretty sure he gets too hot and prefers the hardwood floors and leather sofa. Our last GSD was the same way. No interest in being on the bedore than 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Saint sleeps by my feet, gets up when I get up, never on the furniture....

...which is strange cause the wife's Shih Tzu silky is always on one of the 2 couches or bed.

We cant have nice things ... but I'm happy with more than acceptable good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Although my big-boy is allowed to visit on the couch and bed he seldom stays there long. He has a soft bed out on the patio but prefers laying on the bricks. The only use he had for the couch was to be able to watch out of the picture window.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know we will be in the minority here! but for us:
- no dog in bed ever
- no dog in couch ever (he has his own XL memory foam dog bed in the living room)

At night he sleeps either on his dog bed in living room, or on the carpet in our bedroom.
He no longer needs any crate or gate, and is free in house at night and when we go out.

He has a more aloof personality and is not a cuddly dog.
If I lie down too close, too long beside him, he will get up and move a few steps away.
I grew up in a more reserved family, so my dog suits me fine! I love that he does not jump up, does not lick, and I love his dignified reserved manner. He has never shown any desire to be in bed or on the couch with us. He likes to be nearby, dozing or watching us, but not touching us.
He must be part Maine Coone, LOL. That's how our Maine Coon cats are - always near by but not super lappy. I'm hoping the 8wk old GSD pup we're about to get is a little cuddlier, but we're planning on a no dogs on the bed policy. That's cat territory. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Korra is allowed on the couches and chairs but my husband draws the line at the bed, she would get too hot anyway, she sleeps in our room in her crate and has a XXL dog bed in the hallway but she prefers her chair by the window for daytime and her crate at night. She is the cleanest dog I have ever had, she doesn't smell and she doesn't ever get dirty. She is not locked in the crate unless she is throwing a fit in the morning when my son leaves. She is a cuddler but on her terms, she loves to be cuddled and kissed but not for long, like a cat.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
. She is the cleanest dog I have ever had, she doesn't smell and she doesn't ever get dirty.
really? sure you have a German Shepherd? I brush mine every night because I don't want dirt on my bed, even if they only spend a couple of moments up there.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Lately it can be hard to think of something my girl wants to do that she can still do. She is finally showing her age a little.

The morning hugs routine has become such a thing I even set my alarm early so I can hug her for fifteen minutes. She really loves hopping in bed in the morning for me to hug her and it's the only time she will ever let me. So that's what I do...I wake up early to invite her in bed and hug her.

this is how me and my boy roll

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Allowed in the bed, and on furniture, he’s part of the family, to be sure. He is pretty clean, and I do sweep and wash bedding regularly. He loves to cuddle and I couldn’t imagine not having him sleep with us.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sorry, this is a quote but I could not get it to quote both, even using the Multi Quote button...

"He has a more aloof personality and is not a cuddly dog....He has never shown any desire to be in bed or on the couch with us. He likes to be nearby, dozing or watching us, but not touching us"

"He must be part Maine Coone, LOL. That's how our Maine Coon cats are - always near by but not super lappy. I'm hoping the 8wk old GSD pup we're about to get is a little cuddlier, but we're planning on a no dogs on the bed policy. That's cat territory."

Oddly enough, when I had a cat and lived in NYC, he used to spend the night sleeping on my head! It was like having a very warm, vibrating hat. Sometimes I would sleepily shove his tail out of my face. I guess I'm glad that my 75 lb dog is not inclined to do the same thing. :)

But, my cat was more "touchy" and "cuddly" than my dog is, oddly enough!

·
Registered
44 Posts
really? sure you have a German Shepherd? I brush mine every night because I don't want dirt on my bed, even if they only spend a couple of moments up there.
LOL, yep. I do brush her a few times a week and wash the blankets, covers and rugs every couple of weeks. I bathed her when I first brought her home and then almost a year later (a proper bath with soap and warm water in the tub) and no dirt came off of her, the water and shampoo were clear, it's almost that time again, I'll let you know how it goes this year. The blankets and rugs are hairy but not dirty. She is a weird one, lots of hair everywhere but clean, I think that relates, the dirt just doesn't stick.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Yes I find my shepherds are pretty clean and not smelly. Except for rainy day or snow And they get wet they have a doggy smell. Hairy yes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hard no to dog(s) on furniture or beds (they have their own that I don't lie on)

Just an observation but would have been interesting to add to the poll:
Many of the owners who seem to like dogs on their beds are women and single :sneaky:
I kid, I kid.....a little ....

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Hard no to dog(s) on furniture or beds (they have their own that I don't lie on)

Just an observation but would have been interesting to add to the poll:
Many of the owners who seem to like dogs on their beds are women and single :sneaky:
I kid, I kid.....a little ....
Are you picking on me again? Lol.
Dogs snore and kinda smell funny. I see no difference.:p:devilish:

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
I'm a not woman, married, and our dogs are allowed anywhere but up on counters.

We have leather furniture, no carpet in the house save for commercial rubber backed runners, and I don't really sleep unless I have a dog with me. Yeah, I'm weird.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts