German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have been wanting to start a poll about what percentage of German Shepherds are not allowed on furniture, how many get on couches and chairs and how many sleep in bed with people. I PMed a mod of how to set this up but got no answer. So I thought it could be set up as a member dialog and count them individually. Besides its fun to tell how and where your dog snoozes. Do they snore, hog the bed, etc.

>Not allowed on furniture
>Allowed on couch but not bed
>Sleeps in bed with people

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check. What about the couch?

Inga sleeps in her kennel. Its covered with dark cloth like a cave. We keep her in there to avoid her incredibly enthusiastic morning greeting until we are fully awake. Not allowed on furniture.

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Allowed on bed when invited...[occasionally]
- Keystone will sleep there
- Tilden hops off within 10-15mins

Allowed on couch when invited...[rarely]

Both will sneak on the couch if I’m not around but respond quickly when I tell them to get off so it’s not a big deal.

No animals allowed on any furniture when blowing coat!

·
Super Moderator
5,764 Posts
My current batch of dogs don't sleep with me (Sage used to), but they are normally allowed on the furniture. Lately though I just haven't been able to take Russell looming over me on the couch, so I've kicked everyone off. I do have a separate TV/craft room that Scarlet hangs out in with me (with the Siamese kitties), and she's allowed on the couch in there.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Sabi slept with me until she couldn't, then I hurt myself sliding off the bed onto her dog bed in my sleep. Lol.
Bud was not allowed to sleep with me, because he was very serious about his job and would sit all night "vulturing" over me.
Shadow sleeps with me most nights, sometimes moves to the dog bed and on the odd night when she will not settle or if I am away she sleeps in her crate.
Very few adult fosters ever slept with me, puppies always sleep with me until we crate train.
All dogs are allowed on furniture, unless I say no. Squabbling results in me saying no.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wont have my girl until summer but it'll be a hard NO on any furniture. Mostly for cleanliness and in a feeble attempt to have some safe havens from all the hair everywhere. Though i may sleep on the floor with her occasionally to create a stronger bond in her under 12 week stages.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They look so regal lying on the couch. Like lions or something. With Inga, if you lie on the floor you're dog meat :D

Reactions: Arathorn II

·
Registered
851 Posts
They are allowed on the furniture and will often nap on the couch or in a chair.

They are allowed on the beds and will occasionally nap on one.

Both dogs sleep in the bedroom with us, but only Omen will occasionally sleep in the bed with us. When he does he sleeps at the end of the bed and doesn't really get in the way. Jazz has never been interested in sleeping in the bed with us. She has always preferred the floor.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not really want a lot of dog hair in my sheets, blankets and furniture. Besides, our trainer adviser advises not to let dogs on furniture. Inga is the first GSD and the hardest and best dog I have ever known, but she still will sometimes try to go out the door without sitting first. Her rowdy welcoming ceremony is not appreciated while half asleep either. In addition, I want her near the door at night in case of trouble.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Allowed on the furniture with permission. I am not consistent with this though and after a long day of trialing Riot just sneaks her way up onto the couch for a nap and I let her, she earned it lol.
Allowed on the bed with permission. The boys will not sleep on the bed, they won't spend much more then two minutes or so up there. Riot and the cattle dog will sleep on the pillows all night if you let them.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Mine are welcome everywhere. My girl no longer likes our bed. But she does like to get up first thing in the morning and have a quick snuggle with me.

My boy is usually sprawled all over me most of the night. I love him. I love snuggling with him. When I sit on the couch he usually smooshes right up next to me. He is the snuggliest dog I have ever had and I love it. My girl has always thought to much touching would give her cooties.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Not on furniture or bed, and with new carpet upstairs they have to sleep downstairs. They both have favorite spots they head to when I head up to bed. So far I haven't heard any back talk from either of them about being restricted to the floor. It is hard for me to get off the couch since they tend to lay butt to butt beside me.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
>Allowed on the furniture. Bought leather so I can keep up with the dirt and hair she leaves behind. Has to move when asked.
>Allowed on the bed and allowed to sleep with us but she rarely does. She may go to bed with DH but leaves when I go to bed if she hasn't left sooner.
>Has laid claim to the queen bed in the guest room and prefers to sleep there with the ceiling fan on low...lol!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I love snuggling with the dogs, but after ruined comforters and a couch lost due to dog fur, I have decided no more dogs on furniture and beds. It is hard to enforce the "no couch" rule when I am not home. When we get our new set (leather, yay), I may leave a broom across for a while to help them get the idea.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not allowed on furniture - will hop up for a snuggle on the bed on weekend mornings. And I do find evidence of sofa surfing when we are not home. I am gone 9 hours a day so if that is the worst thing he is up to, I count myself fortunate.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
He is not allowed on any furniture or on the beds... dogs stay on the floor.

He does jump on the couch and run around when the zoomies take over, lol

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: selzer and Femfa
1 - 20 of 117 Posts