German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I randomly stumbled upon this video the other day of Wolfdogs and this woman mentions the three breeds used to create Wolf dogs. At the 8:30 mark she starts talking about German Shepherds and says that they are already part wolf and may be 10% wolf or have even less than that. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I found this little bit that was interesting about the history of the gsd https://retrieverman.net/2010/10/21/do-german-shepherds-have-wolf-ancestry/.

I have very little knowledge other wise but there were things I saw in the video and things she said in the video that made me scratch my head. Her wolf hybrid was giving off so many calming signals that I wondered why she was ignoring them. The dog was clearly uncomfortable.

I know your question is about wolf content in the ancestry of the gsd. My best guess would be way less than 10%.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Well first off, modern dogs are not directly related to modern wolves, unless they were intentionally bred into the line. The ancestors of dogs are extinct.

Second off, define 10% wolf...

One could argue that dogs are 100% domesticated wolf, humans and dogs have worked together anywhere from 36,000 to 14,700 years depending on whom you believe. But what is for sure is that they're canids just like gray wolves from a common ancestor, but evolutionarily adapted through both natural and artificial means to work and live with humans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts