German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people post pictures of their dogs in their pool. Rey really needs more exercise to burn energy. I can't let her off-leash and I have a 30' pool in my back yard. Wondering how bad she'd clog up the filter with dog fuzzies or if anyone's had a problem with their dog's toenails ripping a liner.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Yes there is the hair issue and the possibility of ripping the liner which can add up to huge repair bills.

I think the biggest issue is safety, if you teach the dog that swimming in the pool is acceptable and don't protect the pool then what's to stop them from jumping in while you're not there and possibly drowning. If the pool is fenced and there's no way the dog can get into it without being supervised, then there's no issue.

My parents use a solar blanket and one time one of their labs got out of the house without us knowing and managed to not only fall in the pool but get under the solar blanket and it fell perfectly so we had NO idea what was going on. Thankfully we were able to find him in time and he was ok but it was a seriously scary moment

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
My brother had a wonderful pool, it was one of the old concrete ones that they just don't make any more. I dreamed of having one at my place and the pool contractor laughed at me when I asked for a ball-park quote. I can't remember how much he eventually said, but it was well over $50,000!! Blow me down, it'd be cheaper to find a house with an existing pool and just move. Sigh.

He dumped the basket often, because of the dog hair, but it was also filled with bugs and leaves and human hair too. We also skimmed lots of hair off the top, lol.

The pool itself had the paint scratched off the bottom in the shallow end, so you'd probably have to worry about the toenails ripping through. I'm guessing you have an above-ground one? They also like to go up to the sides and pull to get out, so you'd really have to teach to avoid the sides.
I'd be very worried about damages myself.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Just keep the nails trimmed and the dog brushed and it shouldn't be a problem. We also taught our dog about using the stairs to get out of the pool so that he wouldn't claw at the liner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about your dog's hair clogging the filter. But, her nails could accidentally tear the pool's liner. They make swimming boots for dogs, that look just like snow boots. Maybe you could try those?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice on the filter and liner to all that answered! Though I've noticed people worry about the liner, I haven't actually seen anyone post about a dog tearing a liner yet. I did read one post on here once about a clogged filter full of dog hair. :)

As far as what's to keep her out of the pool when I'm not around? Me. She isn't allowed out when I'm not around. No less safe than the pond in front or back of my house, I figure, except it's cleaner and I have to show her the steps.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
As far as what's to keep her out of the pool when I'm not around? Me. She isn't allowed out when I'm not around. No less safe than the pond in front or back of my house, I figure, except it's cleaner and I have to show her the steps.
I wasn't trying to imply you are a bad or careless owner, I didn't know what your setup is so I warned you based on personal experience of having a dog fall into the pool. My parents pool is in ground and they live in the country so it's not fenced off from the rest of the property so when I visit I'm very cautious with letting my dogs off leash in the front where the pool is and have taught them to not go near it. If I taught them swimming in the pool was ok then I'd be doubly cautious

Swimming is great exercise, I hope you and your dog have a wonderful time :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
We installed stairs just for the dogs. Initially they were under strict supervision, and they were taught that the only way in and out of the pool was by the stairs. The liner isn't at risk, because they don't go to the unprotected sides to exit the pool. I do keep their nails down anyway. I agree that if you use a solar cover or a less than very strong cover for winter, I would not teach them to get in and out of the pool. Also, if you don't have stairs, forget about having them get in and out with a ladder. I don't cover my pool during winter any longer. I got my stairs on line with free shipping. They were a few hundred if I remember correctly. I wish I had done this sooner. The dogs LOVE it, and I can keep them fit and happy no matter how hot it is.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Wow Cindy, those stairs are amazing - you rock!!

I tied up a bunch of milk crates and weighted them down with cinderblocks so they wouldn't move. That also scratched the paint, go figure, lol. After the pool had its fresh coat of paint, the dogs had to learn to use the ladder. Easy for the young and agile, not so much for the elderly because of the steepness.

I've ruled out the concrete pool because of the insane price, but this thread is getting me interested in getting an above ground one. I didn't think it would stand up to the abuse a GSD could give it!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My pool is above ground and it's not fenced (I also live in the country). I've thought about installing the pool wall fence/guard. I do have stairs inside the pool but the entrance on the outside to get in the pool is wide pool ladder. I don't think Rey will mind the outside ladder to get in. When we were building the new house we put a ladder to the porch before the steps were built and Buddy just took it upon himself to climb that one, which was much more steep and narrow than the pool ladder. I didn't think about the winter cover. Not willing to leave mine uncovered because too many sticks and stuff land on it during severe storms in early spring before I open it, which has saved my liner over the years. Buddy is allowed off-leash and was taught simply not to get in the pool (he has his own little pool). It's because Rey is so constrained and only 2 years old that I am considering this. She needs a place to burn energy.

·
Registered
558 Posts
One other thing. Our pool is an above the ground pool, but it is surrounded by a deck. It makes entry and exiting very easy for the dogs.

·
Registered
839 Posts
nice setup Cindy.

There are tons of neat kinds of stairs for above ground pools now. Here's one example...but you can search around and find them in lots of different shapes and sizes and colors.

Amazon.com: Blue Wave Easy Pool Step for Above Ground Swimming Pools: Home Improvement

I have an above ground. We were going to have the really nice above ground put in....but instead we decided to get a cheaper pool as a "tester" pool for this summer.

Doing research, they now also sell fence for above ground pools.

Here's one example.
Amazon.com: 24-Inch Resin Above-Ground Pool Fence Kit -White- Base Kit A (8 sections): Home Improvement

Our terrier swims in our pool. We bought him the little dog raft. His hair does get everywhere....but we usually just scoop it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts