German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend who has a 3 yo GSD male raised a point the other day that i would like to ask somebody who knows the answer (or at least more knowledge than I do).

That is this - my friends dog (also 3 yo)
was attacked a few weeks ago in the parking lot by a pit bull that escaped from it's owner as they opened up their car to get him out. And then the pit came racing across the lot and atacked her dog who she had on leash as we were standing next to my car talking.

Fortubnately the owner came running over and was able to grab the pit before anything too much happened other than a little fur flying.

My question is this - I told my friend that she and her dog was darn lucky as her dog (83 lb male) would have stood no chance in a fight with the medium to large pit bull male dog. She said that he would have and might have beat the pit if he didn't have a leash on.

Not that we would have ever just let them fight - NEVER!

But would a regular dog of another breed, even a larger one like a GSD, have much of a chance against a pit bull?

And lets pray that none of us ever have a chance to find out!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Size doesnt matter as much as the know how and training.. Not to say a 15lbs dog has a chance against a 100lbs of anger..

But a pit against a GS is a fair match.

Im never worried about the saftey of my pup when he is with me. Ill protect him as much as he protects me.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Hijacking the thread?

Anyway this one is simple - whoever has the gun!
Lol I'm not exactly thread jacking. I'm also on a martial arts forum and there's always a thread like that on the first page, usually posted by some noob who's trying to figure out which art to learn because he wants to be deadly on the street in 30 days.

In both instances, dog and human, the outcome of the fight will come down to the individuals. Their skills, their level of conditioning, their "heart."

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
This completely depends on the dog's personality and temperment imo.

If the GSD in question isn't dog aggressive, I doubt it stands a chance against a DA pitbull. Had they both been DA, it would be a fair fight.

·
Registered
972 Posts
depends on the dogs. honestly sometimes im afraid for my GSD when him and my lab get into it. she and my boy friend play fight so she has some fast moves and knows how to fight dirty.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Depends on many factors for both dogs as others have suggested.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Or if Chuck Norris had a dog. . . .

Do you guys remember a while back where this little kid who was training in JiuJitsu choked out a pit bull that was attacking somebody?
I think I remember hearing about that.

Was that the case where the pit was attacking his sister or cousin or something?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
depends on the particular dogs i would think. that said. i have a friend who's pitbull was tore up by an aggressive GSD.

i would guess the pits would will more often than the gsd's

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Not sure why questions like these even come up, cause it depends on the dog.

A mean nasty unsocialized pitbull can kill a GSD.

A mean nasty unsocialized GSD can kill a pitbull.

A mean nasty POODLE can get the jump on and kill a friendly pitbull.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
codmaster, if i may help clarify the question...

lets assume either both the GSD and Pit are aggressive or both are not. that way we take that "factor" out of the question.

so, similiar temperments... GSD or Pit? I'd have to say Pit.

·
Registered
386 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts