German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had an issue? I called our insurance company today to make sure the puppy we will be getting is allowed and they said yes, but only because we are an existing customer. They also said there would be a problem if the dog bit someone. I assured them that we are responsible people that will train and socialize our dog properly (he actually knows us pretty well so he isn't worried).

I also told him that if our future dog had the occasion to bite someone then it would be a really bad situation where we would be finishing the person off with a gun anyway! Promised to call him only to find out if insurance would help with blood stain removal and bullet hole repairs!

Seriously though, anyone had any issues with their policy?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I wouldn't have even let my agent know. Just opens you up to premium rates going up. There are a few threads recently by an agent, maybe ask him?
People have been cancelled for having a trampoline, I wouldn't call and let my agent know we have one of those either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had our insurance canceled few years back, could not believe it. Our GSD was on their, do not insure list, I was pissed. They sent out a, what has changed in your house survey. Then we got cancelled.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally Posted By: hickoryHad our insurance canceled few years back, could not believe it. Our GSD was on their, do not insure list, I was pissed. They sent out a, what has changed in your house survey. Then we got cancelled.
What insurance company was it?

·
Registered
670 Posts
My concern is that if you don't mention it and your dog does bite someone-even a minor wound costing a few hundred dollars, the victim could turn around and sue you big time and take everything you own. Insurance gives you some protection against this- they have limits and take this seriously. They pay medical bills of the victim. Victim must upon "settlement" agree and sign that the matter is ended at that point. If a person sues you and you have no insurance, it could possibly drag on forever and cost much money in legal fees alone. The insurance company represents the homeowner in any legal proceedings. Please note that this is firsthand knowledge and how my insurance company handled it last year when someone tresspassed on my property and got bitten. My dog had been "grandfathered in" for coverage and upon his death I changed companies as that company wouldn't cover 20-30 dog breeds anymore.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I remember my parents saying something about this a few years back with our older German Shepherd.

Because they were exsisting clients they were fine, but they told us that if we weren't they would not insure us..

I can't believe how narrow minded some people (and companies) can be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts