German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm more curious than anything. Since I live in California, I can't even imagine what it's like for some of you with your dogs in the coldest parts of the U.S.

How do your GSDs do in weather like some of you are now experiencing in the Midwest, i.e., some of this frigid, record-breaking cold weather? Do you have to make special arrangements for them to go outside and go potty, etc., etc.? At the very least, you probably have to put some "booties" on your dog, don't you?

Craig

·
Registered
31,507 Posts
No. I take them out to potty and bring them back in. The year Seger was a puppy, it was much colder for much longer than this year. We had sustained temps from -15 to -25 air temps.

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Yes it's horribly cold here in Michigan.Even the postal carriers have the day off!My dogs are only going out for potty breaks and right back in again.The biggest danger is to their paws and ears of they are out for more than a few minutes.They actually are pretty bummed out that we aren't spending any time playing in the snow.They love it:)
I watched a documentary about Siberian trappers and their dogs and don't fully understand why they aren't all frozen to death or frostbitten.One of the trappers said he disagreed with some of his peers who let their dogs sleep indoors at night because "it made them soft"!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...The biggest danger is to their paws and ears of they are out for more than a few minutes....

Out of curiosity, since you live in a very cold climate, what's the coldest temperature that you think is safe for a GSD to be outside in? *I* would think anything below, oh I don't know, maybe even 20 degrees is probably too cold for any length of time, isn't it?

Craig

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
This is the first time in my life I've been in a temperature that I think is actually unsafe for the GSDs. My car said -25F when I left this morn, windchill is somewhere around -50F or -60F, depending on who you believe.

Out to pee, then back in the house.

It's so cold my goats' faces look like White Walkers, even inside their shed.... the goats are getting whole bananas twice a day, and the birds are getting hot corn mash and hot cooked peas. I would not keep a GSD outdoors in this weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Last night and this morning the booties were on.....-30 ambient.

The dog pretty much lets me know when they need to go on....the hobble, 3 legged standing or just laying down....generally starts when it gets below zero and she is out for 10-15 minutes.

In these current temps.....she's good for a minute before she starts showing the effects of the cold on her pads.

I have to agree with @dogma13....."One of the trappers said he disagreed with some of his peers who let their dogs sleep indoors at night because "it made them soft"!!".......no doubt acclimation makes a huge difference.....my bitch is acclimated to being spoiled temperature-wise........

One other thought......there's a lot to be said for teaching the on demand dump or squirt when these temperatures occur.

SuperG

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...One other thought......there's a lot to be said for teaching the on demand dump or squirt when these temperatures occur.

SuperG

HA! My dog would be in serious trouble with temperatures like you're describing. Maybe because she's a "California Girl", potty time is not to be hurried. To "Jazzy", it's never a bad time to make time to "stop and smell the roses", see what critters have peed in the yard, etc., etc. Jazzy's relaxed attitude at potty time drives my Wife up a wall as she's waiting for her to decide on the perfect spot to potty.

:laugh2:

Craig

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
20degrees is not too cold,even for dogs that sleep outdoors as long as they have plenty of straw to burrow into and can get out of the wind.The wind chill is what is bad.I actually get overheated outside in single digit temps if I'm walking or playing with the dogs when it's sunny.Really!:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20degrees is not too cold,even for dogs that sleep outdoors as long as they have plenty of straw to burrow into and can get out of the wind.The wind chill is what is bad.I actually get overheated outside in single digit temps if I'm walking or playing with the dogs when it's sunny.Really!:)

Oh man...I guess you can tell I'm from California.

:smile2:

Craig

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Lol!It's all what we get acclimated to I suppose.I lived in Texas for ten years and the heat didn't bother me much.Now I start whining when it's over 70 :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Zelda is driving me nuts today, her and the standard poodle want to go out and play but with the temps being -8 with a windchill of -35 I wont let them go out for more than a couple of minutes at a time they think I am mean lol

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Last week we had a day where the daytime high was -6. I did not walk my dogs that day and we are pretty hard core walkers. They do fine going out to potty. Sometimes the dopes want to hang out outside. My white dog is the last one to have frozen paws usually.

Mine all do pretty good...my old girl is not as hardy as she used to be. I never saw her hold up a paw from cold in her life until last year. And I know we've had some cold weather. Or maybe living in FL for 5 years she lost some of her cold durability.

Until they start holding up paws we still go for walks. They tend to do just fine down to about 10. Below 10 it's hit or miss with the paws. Below zero we potty and come right back in

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Right now it’s -20. this am my guy who does go potty on command kept lifting up each paw one at a time and he was out only for 2-3 min. He is bored driving me nuts so can’t wait to go training tomorrow he needs to get some pent up energy out. I also ordered some booties since he just loves the snow amd Being outside but this cold is too much

·
Registered
124 Posts
I woke up to ambient temp of -49. My new foster has no experience with booties, but I did already teach him to go out and do his business right away. He's doing better than my Aussie/BC mix who was not trained to do so! But, I am home b/c schools are closed and can let them out on a retractable leash while I hide behind the door as a windshield, peering out to see what they do.

I've just learned about Musher Wax and will get some if bootie training--which I will start soon!--does not go well. Even to do their business quickly, these temps are dangerous b/c sometimes it takes more than 60 seconds to poop and pee.

I follow my dogs' leads about what is too cold. We went to the dog park on Monday during a break in the frigid temps--it got up to 19!!--and both dogs were fine for the 20-30 minutes I could stand it. I hadn't realized the wind had already picked up and didn't put on a 2nd layer of pants, or we might have lasted longer. My bad.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
They were posting pics of shelters out last night stealing peoples dogs that were out in the cold. A couple of them were just tied to a tree. Those I thought that they should have brought them inside. So the shelter stealing them didn't bother me. But, a couple were out in nice kennels with housing inside of the kennels, with a lot of bedding and wind breaks all around the kennel. Everyone was crying to burn the owners at the stake. But in all honesty those dogs would have been fine. even with our -30 wind chills. I jokingly asked if they thought I would be able to hunt rabbit, squirrel, deer, coyote next year or if they would all be dead from the frozen temps. and what about the wolves (we don't have any around me but up north they do.) they'll surely die also right? Well, obviously I don't know that wild animals are used to -30 temps where outside dogs aren't used to temps below 20 F. My bad.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Ours are turned out loose for potty breaks. They aren't dawdling at all. The kitten put one paw out and turned tail back inside.

·
Registered
31,507 Posts
They were posting pics of shelters out last night stealing peoples dogs that were out in the cold. A couple of them were just tied to a tree. Those I thought that they should have brought them inside. So the shelter stealing them didn't bother me. But, a couple were out in nice kennels with housing inside of the kennels, with a lot of bedding and wind breaks all around the kennel.
I hope they had the backing of the authorities on their midnite raids. Those people with nice kennels are going to come at them for all their worth.

I've seen a lot of animals left outside with little to no shelter. It's infuriating. I have two outside cats that have new igloo's, on an enclosed porch, filled with hay and brand new beds that are essentially igloos themselves. And one cat is sleeping in a stupid, open, cardboard box after many nights of sleeping in the igloo.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts