German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, lots of questions, any help is very much appreciated :)

We have a 2.5 year old GSD, a 6 year old Boston Terrier, and 9 month old pitt mix, all spayed females. All 3 dogs get along great, and 2 older ones are left the run of the house all day when we go to work. They tend to play more on the rough side, but tails are always wagging and they always go back for more.

About 5 months ago, the GSD and BT were playing and all the sudden the GSD got aggressive, grabbed some neck fluff and tried to shake the BT. We figured the GSD got too excited and was just trying to play. Then tonight they all ran outside to bark at the dogs that live behind us and the GSD and BT got into it again. This time there was some blood. Not enough to warrant a trip to the vet, but enough to worry us about the stability of the GSD.

If you met our GSD on the street you would call her a wimp. Tail between her legs hiding behind me when we meet other dogs. She is fine with our pack of 3, but for some reason when she gets around other dogs she is very timid. The 2 times that she did get aggressive with the BT, they were back to licking each other and playing within minutes.

Does anyone have any advice, training methods, ideas? If you need more info, please ask as we would like to do all we can to help our GSD be the best she can be.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I wouldn't leave them alone together anymore. Since its happened twice it can happen a third time and the little dog does not stand a chance. I don't know how you can train it out of her, I'm guessing that its because the two females are not far enough apart in age.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would be concerned about the size difference between the BT and the gsd especially now that the play is getting rough at times. The incident with the dogs in the yard does sound like redirection - your gsd got excited - frustrated and then redirected on your little BT. My suggestion is that you keep the dogs separated when you are not at home and also when you are at home to monitor their playtime so it doesn't get out of hand.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Crate and rotate. NEVER leave them together unsupervised or just out of reach to prevent anything serious. There's a saying; "Males fight for breeding rights and females fight for breathing rights". Its not a joke. Sounds like you have too many females under one roof. Its usually recommended to have alternate sexes when you have dogs as there's less chance of fights. Female GSDs can be pretty dominant towards other dogs. Males tend to be a bit more laid back.

I currently live with my dominant minded female (now my father in laws dog) and my less than dominant minded female. Zena doesnt generally tolerate other females for extended periods of time and Shasta just wants to be friends with everyone. I keep the two seperated except during potty breaks when they are in the yard.

Definitely keep these two seperated from one another. Fights ALWAYS gets worse and considering a GSD can very easily snap the neck of a smaller dog, unless you want to see your Boston broken like that, these two need to stay away from each other.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
Leave them loose only when you are there supervising. You really do not want to come home to a bloodbath.

It sounds like female-female aggression or re-directed aggression. Dogs are fence fighting and can't get to the dog on the other side, and turns and grabs the one available.

Bitches are often worse than dogs, and it does not really matter that they are spayed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts