German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, would like some opinion about adopting a 7 yrs old female Australian Shepherd mix into a home with a 1.5 yrs old female GSD and small dog mix.

The Aussie is trained to be a service dog but never finished due to busy schedule and I'm not sure how far along they are (owner has records). Owner said the Aussie can settle nicely in the home, has good recall, can be called off on a chase, good in public, with children, dogs, etc.

The Aussie is 50lbs so about the same size as my female GSD. The GSD is easily scared of dogs but have proven to acclimate to dogs I introduce into the home slowly or dogs that are gentle with her in the GSD social club I take her to. She's only scared of dogs that wants to chase or slam her right away before she decides in her own time the dog is safe to play with. The Aussie owner said the dog can be pushy but will stop if told.

Any thoughts from current and past Aussie owners about what I should consider / watch out for? The Aussie sounds trained and is old enough that she may be calmer than a younger dog and can be a good confident dog for my weak nerve dog to mirror. Confident dog that my GSD considers part of her pack boosts the GSD's confidence level so am hoping the Aussie can be that dog for her.

Would both being female be a problem? The Aussie is spayed but not my GSD... yet.

Thoughts please!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have two aussies that have been around atleast 3-4 of my current/past gsds.

My female is a tad pushy, but does back off if I tell her, she wouldn't hurt a bug:) She's very sweet and has always got along great with my gsd's. Masi (female gsd) and her are 'buds',

My male aussie is pushier, more of a loner, he won't take crap from anything but gets along well with my gsd's.

With that, I think it depends on their temperament, aussies can be wicked herding dogs, have high prey drive, my two females like I said, get along great together, only because neither one are real 'pushy' type temperaments..They play ROUGH, the aussie giving as good as she gets, tho she is now 13 years old, and certainly doesn't play as rough as she used to..

I would ask if you could take the aussie on a trial basis, couple of weeks maybe, see how it goes, sounds like she's had alot of training, and certainly maybe a good confidence booster for your gsd..

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have owned 2 aussies (one now) and fostered another 6 or 7 aussies over the past 20 years. I love them and I find that my male GSD and my male Aussie get along very well. Whether your female GSD gets along with a female Aussie really depends on their personalities. I have found that female Aussies can tend to be bossy.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado LOVES Aussies, if he sees one he'll zoom in on it like a bee on honey, it's uncanny how he can tell which breed the dog is.

The Aussies I've met play a rough style chase me/chase you running like hooligans style which Delgado matches perfectly, they're also super fast so they can keep up with Delgado and he can really stretch his legs.

I don't know if I personally will ever own a Aussie but I really do like the breed. They're a smart, biddable, fun, and gorgeous to boot breed :) The blue merles are just stunning :wub:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got two GSDs and an Aussie here. The GSDs are 3 and 9 years old, the Aussie is 10 or 11 (I forget). No real problems, aside from the Aussie trying to herd the GSDs when outside playing, and that's only a problem when I get to laughing so hard I fall down.

But I am still careful. Having multiple females in the house can be almost asking for trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts