German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wonderful sister passed away recently. She was a breeder of the GSD breed for a couple decades. She knew the breed very well and was very apt not to breed "junk." She became sick and wasn't able to breed anymore. At the time of her passing she had two females. None of us are able to take them, so we have to find them good homes.
Anyhow, her daughter had a woman that rescues animals come out to take pictures and get information on the dogs. This woman showed up when no one was home, never called to make sure someone was there. My niece went back home after the woman had already left. She noticed that both dogs were acting ill. She said they acting like they had some stomach pain. She didn't go into detail. She said they vomitted a lot of their food back up. She found out from the woman from the rescue said they looked too thin so she fed them three cups each of dog food. They had already ate before this woman showed up as my niece told me she fed them before. So, these dogs had 5 cups of food in a short amount of time. My niece was upset and called me about it. My sister's dogs were not overweight, at all. My niece is too nice to tell her she shouldn't have taken it upon herself to do that, besides, she is just a teenager.
I tried calling the gal to get her side of the story, but she was unable to take my call so I left her my name and phone number. She didn't call me back.
It irritates me that some people think the GSD is too thin. They are suppose to be lean dogs. I had a friend that thought mine was too thin when I first got him. My sister said he wasn't. When I took him to the vet she said he looked fine, not to worry.
Should I call this woman back? I don't want her going out to my sister's and pulling this again.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I would definitely keep calling until I got through. Is there another person at the rescue you could talk to? A superior? What this person did is completely irresponsible and not her place at all to make that judgement. I would be extremely angry as well. Did this woman have her own food with her that she carries around or was it your food that she had access to? If she fed the dogs her own food then that would be even worse because they could have allergies/intolerances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if she used her own food or not. I will be even more angry if she used her own. She's the owner and operator of the rescue so no supervisor to answer to. I don't know if she is ignoring me, or if she has been too busy to call back but I'm going to try again. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the woman called me back. I don't know who is telling the truth in the matter, so I think I need to let it go.

She said that she did feed the dogs as she didn't think they had been fed as the water was low. So, she filled up the water, and gave them food. She wasn't positive how much she gave them, but she fed them their own food. I asked her if she thought it was more than two cups, she said she wasn't sure, but they ate it all.

I asked her about them being too thin. She said she never mentioned them being thin. I informed her that they are not underweight. She said she didn't think they were. I kindly explained to her that my niece feeds her before school, then around 4:00. She said she knew she went out there, but didn't know if they were fed so she just went ahead and fed them. Still, I think her heart was in a good place, but, I really think she needed to contact my niece's before she took upon herself to feed them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts