German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we have Duke he's almost 9 months old, we also have a cat they don't get along all the time, maybe only 10% of the time will the cat allow him to get close to her and then he can even lick her.

Anyway, my son is moving back in and he has this little chihuaua he is bringing with him. I am not sure what to do, I have no idea how Duke will be with him, he's good around other little dogs at the dog park but this will be in his home. I told my son he might have to kennel his dog if they dont' get along but then won't Duke freak just having him even just smelling the other dog in the house ?

Its a male dog and I think not altered & dont' think he can afford to get him altered either.

Please share your thoughts and experiences ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
When I was growing up we had a Shepherd & a Chihuahua (and a poodle, lol) and there were no problems.

My mom has a chihuahua & Greta gets along with her fine. Even when Greta was a puppy. If she got TOO playful the chihuahua would just hide for a bit.

In both cases all were females.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Min Pin was 1.5 years old when I got my GSD pup at 10 weeks of age. At first the GSD pup was a little rough with the Min Pin. Now the GSD is 7 months old and they are great buddies. The GSD is gentle with him and they are together all of the time.The Min Pin sleeps with him and uses him as a huge mattress. Both of them are males.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I have both Shepherds and small dogs. How well this work will depend totally on supervision. I doubt your puppy will be territorial. I think a bigger concern will be him being too rough.

Our dogs get along well and even play but you have to be really careful because the Shepherd can seriously hurt the Chi without ever meaning to and the Chi can get scared which can cause him to become more aggressive.

Our big dogs and small dogs are never left alone together even when everything seems great. With a young pup like your's, I'd definitely do the same.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
We adopted a chi from the pound in December and at first Shilo would have nothing to do with him. There are days she does growl at him but for the most part she ignores him.

Since Duke is a pup, he may just want to play but you need to closely supervise because he could carried away and accidentially hurt the little guy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can't really help with the Chihuahua aspect, although given proper supervision they should learn to get along. My main concern would be making sure you watch Duke extra carefully, even if the Chihuahua is kenneled. With them both being male dogs, the smell of another dog in his turf, MIGHT make him think about marking his territory! Good Luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't even think he might mark his territory, he was hard enough to potty train in the first place. I told him to bring him over first to see how they got along. His dog if it was kenneled would be staying in his bedroom at all times ( my son is very protective over his baby ). I told him if they get along its just a bonus to both of us, maybe they will wear each other out. LOL.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have both and they get along great..I also had a toy poodle come in (foster) and My Shep just sniffed him and really didn't take much notice of it. Good luck I hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally Posted By: Gyggles1I didn't even think he might mark his territory, he was hard enough to potty train in the first place.
He might not. It's just something to watch out for. A little bit different, but I remember when I had my collie, he was always really good in the house. We never had any problems with him... Until his first encounter with a real X-mas tree in the house. I think he must have thought it was ok, since he'd pee'd on those trees before.
It was quite a shock as he did it right in front of the whole family as we were getting ready to set it in the stand.

So yeah, new smells in the home... you never know.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, that's a good one LOL didn't think of the Xmas tree either the good thing is we are doing a fake one this year, LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts