German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4-month old GSD seems to love our flower beds in the garden. Unfortunately the plants don't seem to love so much a 22Kg (48lb) dog trampling all over them.
I've tried many times to keep him on a leash, waiting for him to go into the beds, and correcting him then, but he does not do it at all while on a leash. When not on a leash, which would be the majority of the time while outside, there's no stopping him, and even stern NO (which he understands well in other situations) doesn't seem to stop him. Tried spraying diluted citronella oil on the plants, which made him want to roll over them. Tried treats and praise when he's walking close to the beds but not going in them, but I don't believe he links both.
A local trainer suggested an e-collar with correction whenever he goes on the flower beds, but seems slightly overkill, although I understand the concept.

Any suggestions on how I can correct this?

·
Registered
627 Posts
^^
This. Some cousins of mine used to have a German short haired pointer who would dog up their garden, they put up a 2ft tall white fence and taught the dog not to cross the barrier, plus it made the garden look pretty cute too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I’ve been using a long line to control my pup and redirecting with a ball as we have a digger. Not 100% successful but it’s much better than it was. He knows he’s not supposed to dig but the little devil waits until he thinks I’m not paying enough attention (so for us, continually keeping him focused on something other than the garden is working) . I also get ignored completely occasionally but only if he’s off the long line so I figure he’s not ready to be trusted off of it. It’s a 30’ lead so he gets plenty of freedom even on lead.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've got a row of rocks along the front to define the garden from the lawn. It's only a few inches high and easy to step over but I've managed to teach all the dogs not to step over it with a 'no'. The rocks keep it low enough that the nose can go in but the paws stay out. The only problem I had was (male) Buck and a dwarf spruce. It's the smaller, struggling one on the end in spite of all the 'watering'...

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I have a different problem. The planter areas belong to the dogs because there isn’t much there. We are getting ready to plant now in “their” spaces because I can’t leave empty dirt there forever. I don’t know how that is going to go. Hopefully they will learn to coexist. For a puppy, i would use removable fencing. You can get wood stakes and plastic netting to make an inexpensive removable barrier. There must be a cheaper variety but something like this. Staple or nail it to stakes.

or this

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
Wow, anyone can call himself a trainer. An ecollar on a baby?
If you have a dog who enjoys digging, designate a spot where she can dig.
These dogs are smart! Just correct when she goes to flower bed and say, “No dig!”
Then take her where it is ok, and say, “ Dig!” Start digging yourself If you have to. She will learn quickly.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I have areas where I have to grow new grass EVERY Spring just from dogs traffic running around (particularly at the bottom of the front door steps). I pound a half dozen stakes around and tie 2-3 levels of twine between them. Mostly does the trick for a month and the grass does fine for the Summer before they kill it again in late Fall and over the Winter.

Maybe roping a barrier off for a few weeks will make a point to him?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
When my puppy was little I put up that soft plastic tape/ribbon (like crime scene tape), and taught her to respect it. By the time the tape broke, she knew to stay out of my garden areas.

Reactions: UniSPheryk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I used garden fencing (obtainable at Lowes, Home Depot, and, oddly enough Aldi's) and backed the panels up with fast-growing rose bushes and/or evergreen shrubs. The fencing is low enough (2.5 feet or so) to not disrupt flower enjoyment and easily removed (just pull them up) for hard core weeding or additional planting. Plus you get to teach/reinforce Leave It! and Off! commands which is a good thing in my book. Now, keeping them out of the raised beds where I had tomatoes growing was a constant battle that lasted all summer and well into the fall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Appreciate the help. I'll try to find a temporary barrier and train not to cross.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 4-month old GSD seems to love our flower beds in the garden. Unfortunately the plants don't seem to love so much a 22Kg (48lb) dog trampling all over them.
I've tried many times to keep him on a leash, waiting for him to go into the beds, and correcting him then, but he does not do it at all while on a leash. When not on a leash, which would be the majority of the time while outside, there's no stopping him, and even stern NO (which he understands well in other situations) doesn't seem to stop him. Tried spraying diluted citronella oil on the plants, which made him want to roll over them. Tried treats and praise when he's walking close to the beds but not going in them, but I don't believe he links both.
A local trainer suggested an e-collar with correction whenever he goes on the flower beds, but seems slightly overkill, although I understand the concept.

Any suggestions on how I can correct this?
I used a small fence, then I would toss the weeds to my puppy over my shoulder into the air. He began catching weeds and now the flowers are something he protects. He is 18 months now and still loves going to work in the yard. And the fence was removed a long time ago

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a small white fence but then I taught my puppy the garden is his too. When I weed I thro the weeds to him and he runs around the yard catching weeds. Now he stays out of the flowers and loves working in the yard. He's 18 months old now and there's no fence in front of the flowers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts