German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 weeks old GSD, Lincoln and a 3 years old white Chinchilla, Gizmo. I have had my chin since he was 3 months old. When we were getting Lincoln we thought we probably could train him to not eat Gizmo. We introduced them to each other the first week Lincoln came home. He was scared of Gizmo and wanna leave the room every time Gizmo move. So I thought, great, maybe they don't wanna be so close together is a good thing.

Gizmo is in our second bedroom with a 5 ft tall cage. He sleeps during the day. Lately that Lincoln like to sneak in to eat the poop (gross :crazy:) I keep the bedroom door close at all time. Anyway, I let Lincoln go in there with me last night and his reaction was totally different than when he was 8 weeks! He gets so excited when Gizmo move. He jump and chase that little fur ball in the cage with the tail wagging. I prepare that puppy is going to chase everything that moves but before seeing that with my own eyes I didn't really feel the danger to Gizmo. But now it freaks me out. I'm worried that if one day I accidentally leave the door open and he goes in there and try to get gizmo and somehow manage to do so, I would be heartbroken. Lincoln is probably just want to play but Gizmo wouldn't be up for it if he squeeze him like how he squeeze his toys. Last night he got so close he almost got a hold of Gizmo's tail.

I'm trying to be a responsible owner to both my pet. I think my choices are

Train Lincoln to leave Gizmo alone - well, training him to go against his own instinct, I don't know if I'm capable enough to do that.

Keep them separate and hope for the best - If accident happened, I don't know how devastated I would be.

Rehome Gizmo - I really don't want to do this. But if I have to, this is my last choice. I would rather send him to good home than being eaten by my dog.

·
Registered
624 Posts
A GSD has a certain prey drive. The rule to follow like with small kids, small dogs and cats is always supervise their meetings.

I don't think there should be any problems but NEVER leave your puppy alone with your chinchilla.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Having owned a chinchilla and dogs before I can tell you its vigilience. You have to train your dog that the chinchilla doing his thing in his cage is allowed. Our male chinny got out and actually humped our male cat because our cat knew that the chinchilla was NOT to be touched.

Everytime the dog hyper focuses on the rodent correct it. If he submits and lays down by the cage praise. Train the puppy in the same room as the chinny. Get the chinny to do his zoomies through his cage (to distract the dog) so the dog has to do his training with the chinny bouncing and squeaking and doing whatever he does in his cage.

It will take time, but our high prey drive husky was actually our chinchilla's friend. He would lay against the cage and let the rodent GNAW on his fur (i put astop to that lol), and would ignore the rodent. Keep at it and kept firm. A dog going through the cage will kill your rodent. Chinchillas DON'T have much to protect them. Also letting the chinchilla hear the dog bark and make noise will help HIM calm down and not be so scared of it. Its conditioning. I would give a treat to my rodent while our dog barked, when the rodent would just be calm and trying to get loves.

At first use treats. Gentle soothing towns to your chinchilla. "Here boy, good chinny, good x." Soothe him against the sound of the barking, and slowly work up to where you want pets, and chin scratches before you'll reward. Eventually the dog and chinchilla will be friends.

Side note. NEVER allow your chinchilla out in the same room as the dog. The dog's prey drive is high and that's an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey, I don't think that it's the best idea as chinchillas are stressful and each stress situation decreases its lifespan...

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a 15 weeks old GSD, Lincoln and a 3 years old white Chinchilla, Gizmo. I have had my chin since he was 3 months old. When we were getting Lincoln we thought we probably could train him to not eat Gizmo. We introduced them to each other the first week Lincoln came home. He was scared of Gizmo and wanna leave the room every time Gizmo move. So I thought, great, maybe they don't wanna be so close together is a good thing.

Gizmo is in our second bedroom with a 5 ft tall cage. He sleeps during the day. Lately that Lincoln like to sneak in to eat the poop (gross :crazy:) I keep the bedroom door close at all time. Anyway, I let Lincoln go in there with me last night and his reaction was totally different than when he was 8 weeks! He gets so excited when Gizmo move. He jump and chase that little fur ball in the cage with the tail wagging. I prepare that puppy is going to chase everything that moves but before seeing that with my own eyes I didn't really feel the danger to Gizmo. But now it freaks me out. I'm worried that if one day I accidentally leave the door open and he goes in there and try to get gizmo and somehow manage to do so, I would be heartbroken. Lincoln is probably just want to play but Gizmo wouldn't be up for it if he squeeze him like how he squeeze his toys. Last night he got so close he almost got a hold of Gizmo's tail.

I'm trying to be a responsible owner to both my pet. I think my choices are

Train Lincoln to leave Gizmo alone - well, training him to go against his own instinct, I don't know if I'm capable enough to do that.

Keep them separate and hope for the best - If accident happened, I don't know how devastated I would be.

Rehome Gizmo - I really don't want to do this. But if I have to, this is my last choice. I would rather send him to good home than being eaten by my dog.
You GSD does not need to be friends with your chinchilla , he needs to be neutral. Find an experienced trainer who can teach this, if they don't understand what you are asking for keep looking. For now I would allow zero access to the room until you know how to handle the situation, you will only be creating more value for the chinchilla the more often your pup gets to rehearse bad behaviors around it.

This what neutrality looks like:
http://instagr.am/p/CA6UO1LFJsB/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that could be quite challenging, especially for chinchilla. Though it's a good sign you you're researching the topic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, humans also have instincts, however, it would be chaos if we were to act purely on them. Here upbringing comes into play and it also takes time. Consider it as a part of good manners program for your dog. Be around at all times when the dog and the chin are in the same room. If it doesn’t work, then, you are right, it’s better to keep them separate. It’s okay, if they can’t spend time together. Just make sure, everyone’s safe. Also, you might be interested in ways to keep your chin healthy, feel free to study this article which answers the question: what is the life expectancy of a chinchilla and shows some of the ways to create conditions for its prosperity and longevity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts