German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
The female in my profile pic has had maybe two baths since we got her in November 2019. One of those baths was after she had been in heat.
The breeder also bathed her the weekend we picked her up. She naturally has a nice, clean dog smell. The male has a very slightly more musky odor, but neither smell bad to me or my wife.
Perhaps we've gone nose blind to the dogs, but in general, I don't care for unpleasant odors and detect them fairly quickly.

As to baths, I'd agree with those who say the least amount necessary to live with the dog is best.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My dogs get bathed if they have done something offensive. Like rolled in dead things. Beyond that I brush.
I have yet to see a dog say gee it's time for a bath.
I like the smell of dogs.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think Varik had a bath ... ummm ... 2 years ago? 3 ? Actually, I can't remember. He's a completely indoor dog on a modified raw diet (raw + base mix). I wash him if I take him to the lake .. AMOEBAS! shudder

Don't forget to brush your dog regularly.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I think my 8yr old has had maybe 3 baths in his life.
If it is yeast causing the smell then you need to identify the cause. I feed raw and all 3 of my dogs smell fresh and clean without bathing.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts