German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a topic I have been very concerned about lately. We are having to move from our current home because of health threat issues with our rental home we are in now and our landlord does not want to fix the problems..... Anyways. We have found a nice rental home that suits our needs but it is in one of the cities that have the highest crime rates in my state. So with that in mind I am worried about moving to that city. We wish it was just as simple as okay lets find a different city to move in, but with a family of our size and finding a place that allows our whole family (including Bandit) it's hard. Especially because of his size and breed. So it isn't leaving us with many options but we found this one home that fits our family size and allows our whole family but it's only draw back is the high crime rate within the city. I want a source of protection especially since I have three young children and my mom and the children are home alone during the day and early evening most of the time. I figured Bandit could be a source of protection.... but I am concerned that I am giving myself a false sense of security. Bandit loves his family but he is a lover not a fighter. He invites in everyone with tons of love and kisses even people he's never even met or been introduced too and doesn't seem to have a single aggressive or protective type of bone in his body. His purpose is not to be a guard dog he is the same family dog he has always been. But I want people to see him in the area and be intimidated and think twice about intruding into our home or messing around our home..... but in the event someone did break in or was unaware of his presence I wonder if he would do anything or if he would just be okay with someone intruding into the home or if he'd just go and hide.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Well, if the intruder had a gun, I'd rather he go and hide. Seriously, GSD's are a deterrent, but people can be crazy and a crazy will not stop just because of a dog.
Get a gun, take a class on gun safety and usage and a security alarm system for the home.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, my dogs are responsible for looking intimidating and barking when somebody comes on the property. Let's face it, anyone desperate enough to break into someone's home is probably armed anyway, in which case Bandit's teeth won't do any good.

I don't know about you, but if my dog got hurt or killed protecting me I couldn't live with myself. I know not everybody feels this way about their dogs, but I do.

Have you considered purchasing a gun and learning how to use it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
where are you moving to? Durham, Rocky Mt. ??

·
Registered
396 Posts
German shepherds LOOK intimidating ... that right there is on your side. They SOUND intimidating when they bark, that's another point on your side.

My white shepherd was 96 pounds of CHICKEN, but boy were people scared of her!! Even the neighbors were intimidated, I found out. I knew her as a big big baby, who never snarled or snapped or batted an eye, no matter who did what to her. She loved everyone, and thought everyone (except the vet) loved her. My big brave shepherd would cower behind me when she was scared. But still ... people were intimidated.

It's the image, and the reputation that you've got going for ya. Of course, there's no reason to be 'relaxed' about security ... ever.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with the intimidating "look", and a bark can be a good deterrent,,if you move to that area, if when out walking Bandit, I wouldn't let him be 'friendly' with just any buddy, this way it may get around you have a gsd and stay away from your home?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
A GSD can be a good deterrent but you just don't ever know what they will do if someone did break in. As suggested I would get a really good security system with monitoring. We had one installed and it really does make you feel safer.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Dogs act as a deterrant. Once someone is in the house, all bets are off. Even the best trained PPD dog is not a match for a gun, butcher's knife, or baseball bat. Sorry. I don't know why people seem to think that a 100 pound dog is going to pretect them from someone with a serious weapon.

Walk your dog proudly around the neighborhood, keep him inside with the shades up, and hope it "gets around" not to mess with your house. My neighbors have told me that Elsa is quite intimidating staring out our floor to ceiling windows all day. Her bed is right in front of them and she just spends the day watching with a very serious look on her face.

If someone is crazy enough or well enough armed to break into the house knowing that she lives there, there is nothing she's going to be able to do for me.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i find it hard to believe that because you have a large
family and a dog you have to move to a high crime rate
part of town. how about moving outside the city or town
you picked? look around you'll find something better in a better
part of town.

when it comes to protection i don't count on my
dog to protect me or our house. i protect my dog.
my dopg wasn't raised to be protective and because
he is a GSD doesn't mean he's going to be protective.
some of them are more naturally protective than others.

i bet you could go to a pound and find
a big barking ready to bite and to defend dog
who would love living with you.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I would keep looking too. Raising three kids in a high crime neighborhood is not usually the best idea if it can be avoided. I know these days there is crime everywhere, but don't sell yourself short- there has to be a ton of rentals:)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Yeah, I was talking to somebody who told me a story about a small pharmacy that kept getting robbed. One day the owner got a Malinois that stayed in the place overnight. It was a great deterent for a couple of years, until somebody broke in and shot the dog. :(

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't know if this is the same with all cities, maybe it's just because Chicago is so big but Chicago has a pretty high crime rate-- however that doesn't mean the whole city is crime-ridden, unsafe and full of people shooting each other left and right. There are "bad" and "good" areas and neighborhoods and everyone in the city knows where is safe and where they don't want to be walking at night (like the far south side for example.) I live on the far north side within walking distance of the city limits which is nothing like the south side of the city.
I still am glad I have Bianca, and I let her bark when people come near the house/yard.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i find it hard to believe that because you have a large
family and a dog you have to move to a high crime rate
part of town. how about moving outside the city or town
you picked? look around you'll find something better in a better
part of town.
One thing we only can move so far from the city we are in now because of my boyfriends job and the cost of gas. So that gives us limited options to cities. We have also been looking in a lot of different cities but with our time frame, family, size, breed of dog I have, and our financial situation we are very limited when it comes to rental options. Believe me I am trying very hard to find a different place, I don't want to have to move my children in a town that has a high crime rate. Someone mentioned even cities with high crime rates have decent areas. This I also know is true, the area we are looking into moving is a nice area but nice doesn't always mean that there is not a lot of crime in the area, doesn't mean there is either. I am in general just worried because then city I am in is smaller and a lot less crime. I also understand that people with weapons are going to over power a canine. However they may think twice about entering possibly is my thought if they know there is a large canine within the home somewhere. No one wants to get bitten, however I don't believe Bandit would ever bite anyone even an intruder... Bandit was not bought for a guard dog and does not live like a guard dog. He is a very loved, spoiled family pet. I just thought sharing my concerns would possibly open my up a door to different ideas on how to resolve the concern for the possible new environment. It was nice to hear from those of you stating that walking him and making his presence known might help and hearing that some of your neighbors are intimidated by your dogs even though they are not mean. I hope that helps us out in our new neighborhood no matter where we go. Like I said my dog is not a guard or attack dog, but I am hoping that anyone thinking with the wrong intentions will think twice about messing with our home because of our dog.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hi Akk578....

My first landlord gave me some good advice when I moved to new apartment in a college town. Advice which I have found to be true over the years....most crimes are committed by people you know and/or have been invited to your home. While random acts of home invasions/theft do happen it's usually the casual acquaintance you know, friend of friend that sort of thing.

I found, while living in temporary housing staying low, staying quiet and keeping my business to myself to be good safety precautions.

Stay aware, trust your gut instincts and you will be o.k.

Best wishes to you and your family with the move.

One thing we only can move so far from the city we are in now because of my boyfriends job and the cost of gas. So that gives us limited options to cities. We have also been looking in a lot of different cities but with our time frame, family, size, breed of dog I have, and our financial situation we are very limited when it comes to rental options. Believe me I am trying very hard to find a different place, I don't want to have to move my children in a town that has a high crime rate. Someone mentioned even cities with high crime rates have decent areas. This I also know is true, the area we are looking into moving is a nice area but nice doesn't always mean that there is not a lot of crime in the area, doesn't mean there is either. I am in general just worried because then city I am in is smaller and a lot less crime. I also understand that people with weapons are going to over power a canine. However they may think twice about entering possibly is my thought if they know there is a large canine within the home somewhere. No one wants to get bitten, however I don't believe Bandit would ever bite anyone even an intruder... Bandit was not bought for a guard dog and does not live like a guard dog. He is a very loved, spoiled family pet. I just thought sharing my concerns would possibly open my up a door to different ideas on how to resolve the concern for the possible new environment. It was nice to hear from those of you stating that walking him and making his presence known might help and hearing that some of your neighbors are intimidated by your dogs even though they are not mean. I hope that helps us out in our new neighborhood no matter where we go. Like I said my dog is not a guard or attack dog, but I am hoping that anyone thinking with the wrong intentions will think twice about messing with our home because of our dog.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well, if the intruder had a gun, I'd rather he go and hide. Seriously, GSD's are a deterrent, but people can be crazy and a crazy will not stop just because of a dog.
Get a gun, take a class on gun safety and usage and a security alarm system for the home.

My thoughts as well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A PPD gives you enough time to get your shotgun or .357

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
My only advice is this. Use the reputation of the breed to your advantage when you aren't sure about an area you're in.

When you're out walking your dog in the neighborhood if someone approaches and asks to pet him, or asks if he's friendly, say NO. No one has to know that your dog is friendly except your family and your friends.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts