German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having Kira is like having a poodle. She's calm, well mannered, very obedient, and very small. For a GSD, let's just say she's "different".

Lately, I've been seeing more and more German Shepherds in my area. ... And they're all HUGE!
I have YET to see a TRAINED GSD, being properly handled by its owner. Every dog I see, is either pulling, lunging, barking, chasing cars, chasing kids on bikes or scooters, or just acting aggressive.

Today, I was walking with Kira (on leash), and I hear a ferocious sounding bark. I turn to my right, and here comes a 100+ Sable GSD dragging its owner right towards me. The owner could not stop this dog. All I saw was TEETH, and a huge dog.:eek: I froze, and hoped it didn't get ugly.
As the dog approached, Kira went livid. This isn't like her, so I assume she felt the same threat as I did.
Then he stopped about 5 feet before me. I don't ever remember being so nervous.
After I calmed down, I asked the owner if he had any form of obedience training. His reply was that he taught him how to sit. :crazy:

Oy vey.

.....The other day, I witnessed a woman get dragged face down, because her 100+ LB GSD decided to chase a kid on a bike.

It's crazy around here lately.

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
I let my 65 pound Bear Cub pull me almost all the way to the park with the two girls on Sunday. Oh she has been trained, but that wasn't what we were doing on Sunday. She was under total control though, and when I started doing some obedience with her, she did really well. Well ok, until Elena walked right into us, and then we gave it up.

I just gave 103 pound Rush to my contractor last week. The dog's obedience is as good as it was when I sold him at 4 years old. (Three years ago) and they said they hadn't worked with him. But I gave him a great foundation, like you have been doing with your dog. And he did not lose it.

Large dogs can certainly be trained not to drag their owners around. But a lot of people really don't know how to get from A to B with a dog. They take a six or eight week class and either blame themselves or the dog for not being perfect at the end of it. It is like the idea of continuing with training is in some foreign language.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Anthony, Did you notice what type collars the dogs had on?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kira's now 22 months. her loose- leash walking is perfect. Today the temp was about 85 degrees in NY, and the park was crowded. I took the opportunity to walk around the outer portion of the park. I would say that 50 people may have jogged past Kira, and came within 2 feet of her. As each jogger passed, I took the opportunity to enforce her "leave it" command. After a few joggers, Kira would simply lower her head as they passed. I was so proud of her. :)

People need to take German Shepherd dogs very seriously.... and they don't.

I had a conversation with a guy that had his GSD in a small dog run. The dog was alone in there, and pacing the fence in a very heightened state. After seeing him chase his dog to leash him, I initiated obedience talk. He was telling me how he sends his dog to this "well known" trainer, and for 2500.00, the trainer takes his dog for 6 weeks and trains him.
He went on to explain how his dog doesn't listen to him as well as the "2500.00 trainer"

Another "oy vey"

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anthony, Did you notice what type collars the dogs had on?
Yes, I did. He had a typical stainless choke collar.
I commented that he should seek a trainer to teach him how to get his dog to walk with him, before something happens. I suggested a prong collar with some training to properly use it.

But honestly,.... do you think they listen?

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
sounds like you could get a GSD group together to help train/socialize(NOT play) and toss out tips for each other. If you see that many GSD's in your daily walks I bet everyone is looking for an outlet to work with their dogs?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like you could get a GSD group together to help train/socialize(NOT play) and toss out tips for each other. If you see that many GSD's in your daily walks I bet everyone is looking for an outlet to work with their dogs?
Sounds like a great idea, but I honestly wouldn't trust these people and their dogs around my dog. They all seem highly reactive, and Kira's in such a great place right now. I can honestly say she's past any and all issues, and right now is perfect in every way. I wouldn't want any setbacks for her.

If you're suggesting a walk in the park, that sounds like a good idea. As far as training,.... my experience with Kira, and what I've learned from this place could greatly benefit these owners and their dogs. I'll see if I could make a few friends along the way.

BTW... That 100 pound sable that scared me, was absolutely stunning. I've never seen a sable up close and personal. This guy was a head turner.

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
I think some people take German Shepherd too seriously. They are not all raving child killing machines, whether they have been schooled in obedience or not. Unfortunately, there are a lot of dogs out there, that are unstable.

Bear just turned 36 months old. I have another her age that has her CGC. And one seven months older that has her CGC and her Rally novice. I've also got a dog that will be two in November, so a little younger than yours, and a couple that just turned 1, and a couple of seven year olds, and a couple of six year olds, and a five year old, and a couple of four year olds. Everyone older than Bear is pretty much done, titled, some with multiple title. But I have a lot of youngsters that need to get up to speed.

I am signed up for two classes starting in May -- my trainer trains outside at her home in the summers. Otherwise I am traveling way too far to classes, even if I could afford to pay the prices they charge there, the gas too and fro, and the nasty traffic. So I have Hepsi and Gretta signed up to begin training.

I have taken Hepsi to this park that I took Bear to on Sunday, and I have taken Heidi as well. This past Sunday it was the busiest that I have ever been there. Bear was awesome in my opionion. There was a HUGE GSD/Akita like dog and a large brindle boxer both of whom stared/or lunged dragging the owner toward bear and got a rumble in response. But the rest of dogs, from shih-tsus to min pins to the faun boxer she never batted an eye.

My happiness was how the girls were with my nieces. I live alone, so there are really limited opportunities to socilaize the girls to children. I usually get the girls to come out and see puppies when they are still in the litter, but I usually do not expose them to all of my crew. So they get to see one of the girls or just puppies.

So having the dogs just have that opportunity to walk alongside the girls, listen to them scream and run, or run back to us, and pet the dog, roughhouse, etc. That was really all I am looking at. The dogs do not have to be in perfect heel position. But if I tell them to sit, or wait, or whatever, they will do it. If I remind them NO PULL, they are really good at that too. But frankly, at the end of the day, I wasn't to unhappy for Bear to be pulling me up that ginormous hill.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, but I honestly wouldn't trust these people and their dogs around my dog. They all seem highly reactive, and Kira's in such a great place right now. I can honestly say she's past any and all issues, and right now is perfect in every way. I wouldn't want any setbacks for her.

If you're suggesting a walk in the park, that sounds like a good idea. As far as training,.... my experience with Kira, and what I've learned from this place could greatly benefit these owners and their dogs. I'll see if I could make a few friends along the way.

BTW... That 100 pound sable that scared me, was absolutely stunning. I've never seen a sable up close and personal. This guy was a head turner.
Next time, bring your camera!! lol
No, really I bet many of these owners want to work with their dogs but there are no good training groups available? You could get something going I bet, and maybe find someone to head it up or just go by the seat of your pants. So many people with working breed dogs buy them for companions and then see they really need an outlet for their smart brains. Ask Elizabeth about her social GSD group, she may have some good ideas?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think some people take German Shepherd too seriously. They are not all raving child killing machines, whether they have been schooled in obedience or not. Unfortunately, there are a lot of dogs out there, that are unstable.

Bear just turned 36 months old. I have another her age that has her CGC. And one seven months older that has her CGC and her Rally novice. I've also got a dog that will be two in November, so a little younger than yours, and a couple that just turned 1, and a couple of seven year olds, and a couple of six year olds, and a five year old, and a couple of four year olds. Everyone older than Bear is pretty much done, titled, some with multiple title. But I have a lot of youngsters that need to get up to speed.

I am signed up for two classes starting in May -- my trainer trains outside at her home in the summers. Otherwise I am traveling way too far to classes, even if I could afford to pay the prices they charge there, the gas too and fro, and the nasty traffic. So I have Hepsi and Gretta signed up to begin training.

I have taken Hepsi to this park that I took Bear to on Sunday, and I have taken Heidi as well. This past Sunday it was the busiest that I have ever been there. Bear was awesome in my opionion. There was a HUGE GSD/Akita like dog and a large brindle boxer both of whom stared/or lunged dragging the owner toward bear and got a rumble in response. But the rest of dogs, from shih-tsus to min pins to the faun boxer she never batted an eye.

My happiness was how the girls were with my nieces. I live alone, so there are really limited opportunities to socilaize the girls to children. I usually get the girls to come out and see puppies when they are still in the litter, but I usually do not expose them to all of my crew. So they get to see one of the girls or just puppies.

So having the dogs just have that opportunity to walk alongside the girls, listen to them scream and run, or run back to us, and pet the dog, roughhouse, etc. That was really all I am looking at. The dogs do not have to be in perfect heel position. But if I tell them to sit, or wait, or whatever, they will do it. If I remind them NO PULL, they are really good at that too. But frankly, at the end of the day, I wasn't to unhappy for Bear to be pulling me up that ginormous hill.
Wow. you have some pack there.
Impressive.

Lot's of experience.

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
No, just as a perspective as to why I am not all that concerned with perfection out of my youngsters at this point. They're fine. They are easy to manage, and I can take any of them to the vet or wherever, but I usually have the young'ns ready for a CGC and a title run by a year or maybe a few extra months, and I am way behind on my youngsters right now.

Last summer I was working with Dolly, Gretta, and Odessa. I was signed up to take Dolly for a title run but she went into heat, and we couldn't show. I have to be real tight on shows at present.

This summer I am hoping to work with Hannah, Hermione, Hepzibah, Izzy and Gretta. Ick!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next time, bring your camera!! lol
No, really I bet many of these owners want to work with their dogs but there are no good training groups available? You could get something going I bet, and maybe find someone to head it up or just go by the seat of your pants. So many people with working breed dogs buy them for companions and then see they really need an outlet for their smart brains. Ask Elizabeth about her social GSD group, she may have some good ideas?
I found out that there's a local GSD club about 10 miles from me. They meet on Sunday mornings. From what I hear, they have a permit for a closed area of a local park. They let them run free.
Not sure if that's in Kira's best interest. I'd have concerns about her safety. She seems very confident, and doesn't seem spooked or fazed about anything, but I know that it'll take one incident to completely screw her up again.

I'm receptive to leashed walking, but I won't let her play with a group of off leash dogs. She has a 13 month GSD friend that she likes. It's the only dog I allow off leashed playtime. When they play, they play rough, and she loves it. That's all the rope I give her. I've tried introducing another dog to her playtime, and I've seen her back off and remove herself. So knowing that, I keep it to one dog for her, and we're all happy.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Sounds like you have way to many people and dogs about. LOL The last time I saw a GSD that wasn't mine we were in a larger town having dinner and one went walking by the window. That must have been like 3 or 4 months ago. There is only one person who walks their dog in my neighborhood and thankfully I haven't even seen them recently. I'm hoping they moved. :)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you have way to many people and dogs about. LOL The last time I saw a GSD that wasn't mine we were in a larger town having dinner and one went walking by the window. That must have been like 3 or 4 months ago. There is only one person who walks their dog in my neighborhood and thankfully I haven't even seen them recently. I'm hoping they moved. :)
Yes, this is very true. I live in Staten Island, NY, and besides just about everyone having a dog, most of the local parks are closed because of hurricane Sandy. So everybody ends up in one park..
It's really congested.

·
Registered
990 Posts
People do often not seem to think that GSDs need to be trained after "puppy"class.
And they get those awesome looking working line dogs cuz they are "cool" and pretty, yet they have no idea how to deal with them.

Suggesting a prong colar to a guy like you describe is likely just gonna make him go to petsmart buy a cheap nasty prong and yank the poor dog about :( They don't listen to the TRAINING part of the advise :(

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
People do often not seem to think that GSDs need to be trained after "puppy"class.
And they get those awesome looking working line dogs cuz they are "cool" and pretty, yet they have no idea how to deal with them.

Suggesting a prong colar to a guy like you describe is likely just gonna make him go to petsmart buy a cheap nasty prong and yank the poor dog about :( They don't listen to the TRAINING part of the advise :(

You're so very right. That's why I didn't stress it too much.
He didn't listen to much of anything. He was more astonished over the size and strength of his dog.
Trust me, he's not getting training, nor is he getting a prong collar. I'm sure he had that conversation, long before I came along.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I totally get where your coming from... There are about 7 other GSD's in my immediate area all of them including Penny's brother are just completely out of control pulling their owners everywhere, barking incessantly, aggressive, lunging ect. and its not a pretty sight and I can totally understand why so many people just avoid go near them because even from a distance you can tell how untrained and unruly they are. When people see Penny and I walking its amazingly different. I have been complimented so many times on how well behaved she is, loose leash walking, no barking, no chasing or lunging after anything that moves ect and have been told "how nice it is to see someone actually TRAINING" their dog... but its not just GSD's that are like this there are so many people who just get a dog and let it do whatever it wants, some never taking training classes some only taking puppy or basic and leaving it at that and give up... Its sad, training is a life long journey that never stops

And I will also add nothing impresses me more than seeing a dog walk loose leash next to its owner, sit when they stop, and just all around performing perfect obedience, because I know how hard and how much time and energy it takes putting into that dog to get him that way..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anthony, did you have some issues with Kira lunging when she was younger? My now 12 month old female has recently started lunging a lot and barking towards other dogs when we are out walking.. Im looking for any advice on what to do in these situations. I've tried sitting her when I see someone coming and enforcing a leave it but lately it falls on deaf ears.

We attend dog obedience once a week and she's currently in level 2, with 5 being the highest. She excels in doing the obedience side of things but seems to always be focused on the other dogs. Have tried different treats and also taking her toy to try and hold her attention on me but it only lasts a minute then back to focusing on everyone else...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anthony, did you have some issues with Kira lunging when she was younger? My now 12 month old female has recently started lunging a lot and barking towards other dogs when we are out walking.. Im looking for any advice on what to do in these situations. I've tried sitting her when I see someone coming and enforcing a leave it but lately it falls on deaf ears.

We attend dog obedience once a week and she's currently in level 2, with 5 being the highest. She excels in doing the obedience side of things but seems to always be focused on the other dogs. Have tried different treats and also taking her toy to try and hold her attention on me but it only lasts a minute then back to focusing on everyone else...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Try using BAT... Keep her under threshold and before reacting. Instead of treats, the reward will be turning around and teaching her to retreat instead of react. It could help show her there are other less stressful options. The book is lengthy (and very good) but if you stick with it, it really works. Eventually you will be able to keep her below threshold and pass the dog on the walk and that could be your ultimate goal.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
There are only three in my vicinity. Ibor, the working K9 that lives across the street. Very well behaved and obviously trained to work. He came from the same breeder as Lisl did.

Up in the next block there is a beautiful black GSD that lives in an outdoor cage. I've never seen anyone interact with this dog and I've never seen him out of his cage. Poor guy.

The third GSD lives several blocks from here. I don't see this dog much, but when I do he is always with his owner. An inside dog I'm sure. Seems well behaved last time I saw the two together some months ago even before I got Lisl.

The black GSD up the street is very reactive and barks at Lisl and I whenever we pass his property on the sidewalk. The dog is probably 60' from the sidewalk in the backyard. I'd love to see what kind of personality this dog has, but I doubt that his owner can even control him let alone get him on a collar and leash.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts