German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... We have decided to purchase a GSD puppy and he is the runt of the litter... He looks like he is a couple of weeks younger than the other pups but he is healthy and active... I was just wandering if it is a bad idea to pick the runt.. Do they have health issues or do they grow up to be normal dogs? This is my first GSD and I don't know much about them... Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thank you... :confused:

·
Registered
626 Posts
My first GSD was the runt of the litter, he grew to be 110lbs of solid muscle and fur !!! :p
He was half Great Dane on his dad's side, that may have had something to do with it !!! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness tho runts generally grow to be normal sized for the breed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with GSDBESTK9

sometimes the smallest ones can be the bigger ones in the end.
but that will depend on many things such as the food, supplements and the environment where the dog will live.

normaly a 2 month old should weight about to 9-12 kg.
dogs with less than 25% of this can recover and have the same weight as the other ones. (this is for working lines) beauty lines are smaller than this I don't know how they should weight cause I just work with german shepherd working lines.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Really it depends on if there is any underlying reason that the pup is a runt.
There can be medical reasons, such as megaesophagus, which can in some cases have a lifelong impact on health.

If it's just a smaller puppy with no underlying medical cause for the smaller size, and the pup is as healthy and vibrant as littermates, then it's not really a worry. And yes, such runts often do grow up to be as larger, or larger, than their littermates.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
On the flip side; Stark was the largest puppy in his litter at 8 weeks - now at 18 months, he is the smallest male of the litter. :)

I would ensure that the breeder has beyond a doubt made sure there were no underlying health issues with the smaller puppy and if there weren't I'd say, have fun with your new pup! :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sigurd was the "runt" of the litter, he is now 77 lbs (just a couple lbs smaller than the other male in the litter). He is perfectly healthy, no health/mental problems. I believe he was the runt because the other male in the litter was 2x the size of him and when I would watch them, it seemed as if the other male always pushed him out of the way when feeding...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you everyone...

This is a pic of him and his litter mate at 9 weeks old... There is a big difference between the 2... The other was the largest of the litter... The owner said he has been vet checked and got a clean bill of health... She said he is growing alot faster now that he is the only one left... We aren't able to get him a week later than the others because we have to drive 5 hours to his location... I'm just worried because he looks so tiny...

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
he's a little smaller than the other one, but if he's healthy and eats well there's no problem with him.

sometimes the puppy weight has to do with the number of puppies in the litter and the quality of the mother's milk. it doesn't mean that he's not healthy. in side of the litter he was not the strongest puppy in terms of caracter. normaly the most dominant puppies are the biggest ones as they fight for the best **** for the better milk.

well wish you all the best with your new puppy. he looks adorable:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much... I thought they were almost 9 weeks and I just found out they are 7 weeks today... So i don't feel so bad about him being smaller now... She says he is very active and playful so I guess he is fine... I'll love him either way =)

·
Registered
206 Posts
alayahsmom said:
"She said he is growing alot faster now that he is the only one left..."

see that's what he needs. he was not growing and eating propally cause of the other puppies in the litter.

my dog's sister was one of the biggest on their litter but when she went to her new home the owner already had an adult GSD male and he didn't let her eat propally and now she's not the biggest anymore. as I said before it has to do with the environment where the puppy lives.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
What concerns me is the fact that he is 7 weeks old and the only one left of the litter.

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
What concerns me is the fact that he is 7 weeks old and the only one left of the litter.
^^ This..

I would start asking questions on their breeding program. I would also ask why the puppy was not fed so that he/she could get the needed nutrients.

On a side question to breeders....

If there is a runt of the litter, do you separate it so that it can get enough to eat to grow properly. I ask this because our youngest boxer was NOT. She was grossly underweight and covered in scabs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are not "breeders" both parents are family pets... This is their second litter... I asked why he was he last and she said he was the darkest of the litter and the smallest... She said everyone wanted the light larger pups... He has no eating or skin issues just smaller than the others... He is active and the mother fed him just as well as the others... She had 9 all together... She assures me that he is healthy and has been vet checked... I was concerned about him being the last as well... He was 1 of 3 males in the litter...

·
Registered
206 Posts
one more question, the dog is from a working line or a beauty line?
do you know how much is he weighting right now at 7 weeks?

elisabeth_00117 said:
"What concerns me is the fact that he is 7 weeks old and the only one left of the litter."

sometimes that's not important my dog was one of the biggest in his litter and now they have 1 yrs old and he's the biggest one. and when I went to get him it was only him and other male left and actually they where both the biggest males in the litter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He is from a working line... I'm not concerened much about his looks... Just his health... He will be a family pet... If he is slightly on the smaller side I will be fine with that as long as he is healthy... Mother is 92lbs and daddy is 104lbs... So both parents are on the larger side...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts