German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on here for a month or so getting advice about my Shadow, who I love very much.

This is very hard for me, but I have to find him a new home.

Someone that can afford his surgeries.

I am in over my head.

He is approx a yr. Still all puppy. Puppy bites (or herds), but non aggressive in any way. He is a dream.
58 lbs.
Neutered.
I will give more details, if this leads to anyone being interested at all.
I am wondering if all of us that rescue are tapped out.
This is SO hard.
When I cry my DH wants to put us further in debt.
I can no longer do this to my family (the ones without fur), I have been agonizing, reading, reasearching, this is what I have to do.
Our Beagle too.
I cannot keep up with the vet care.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I am sorry to here that you need to rehome your GSD. If I can ask, what medical and surgery bills are there?
I am sure Shadow will find a great home, if it can't be with you.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have contacted Shadow's rescue.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not heard from them in some time.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Reputable rescues REQUIRE you return the dog to them if you cannot keep..........did you sign such an agreement?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
The above post was only to educate...not be mean...sorry if it sounded that way.

I wish you luck.......

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am printing this thread out now to research.
When I first heard about his surgery that he needed, Jean or someone refered me to someone that could maybe help financially.
They make it sound like you need to be disitute. Which we are not YET, I just cannot take from my kids, u understand. I hope, I do not want to be judged.
But this AGSRA.com looks interesting.
I will look into these.
Thanks ONCE AGAIN, Ruth for giving me a little bit of a silver lining. I have been crying all day. (He is on Longivity by the way, his coat and everything else looks great), his elbow has fluid on it now.......etc....

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this considered a genectic defect?
It was a question on imom.org.

There are waiting lists too.

I think we just need to go into debt and try to pay this all off in a year.

From my response from this post and contacting 2 rescues (no response, including the one he is from), I just think everyone is full, and we have hit a all time low, desperate times.
If you take an animal in and he ends up with numerous health issues that is your problem.
Sorry just venting. I need to back off from this site. You are all wonderful animal loving people, I am questioning my comittments to my own furry kids, I am in a very bad place.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you dd. Ruth gave me that link.
I am reading all of them. Like CareCredit, with that interest, we just found a credit card today that has 0%, for a year, I could get a job and work weekends or sell something to help pay it off in a year.
Just all sorts of things we are looking at. It is stressful. I am making my friends crazy. My DH has health issues too.
I am just trying to stay on top on all this.
Before Shadow cannot walk, I do not want to wait until then.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heard from one rescue, told me I needed to go through the other rescue.........

I should just start my own and then have a fund raiser for Shadow's care?? How about that?? Sorry I am getting smart.

Thanks for listening, I know you are here. And right now today, he is safe.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Daisy1986,
Most of us love our dogs!! But sometimes people can not truly put themselves in another's situation. You have to decide what is best for you, your family and Shadow.

Before I had a child, I could not understand how someone factored money into their decision making when it came to dogs/pets. I would have done ANYTHING. Now I still love and care for my furry kids, but I can not spend money or go in debt the way I used to.

Research all options and then do what is best in your situation.
We had a Lemon-Aid sale and yard sale for a semi-foster puppy last year name Lemon. We did raise money and it helped raise awareness in the community. We ended up getting a check from a local business owner to cover the rest of her surgery.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Doing a fund raiser may not be a bad idea. Do you have stuff you could sell at a garage sale? Would your neighbours contribute their junk to your garage sale? What about bake sales?

Sometimes you have to look at alternative solutions.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes you are exactly right.
I am very lucky that my neighborhood is full of animal lovers. (my neighbor had a stray cats leg amputated because it had cancer, that they adopted of course), I am sure they would be willing to denate stuff.
They know my pack, I walk all 3 of them (when Shadow is well enough), at once.
Happy days,

His rescue contacted me. More talk tonight!
I am very happy and have great RELIEF.

I do not want the fluid on his elbow to get infected before I can get him care!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Mary for your support and understanding.
These are hard desicions.

My DH and I have been beating ourselves up. I have never seen him so attached to a dog. (his first GSD).

My human kids no nothing about this of course. I am sure it would be hard for them and they would give up much for Bella and Shadow, but they are 4 and 5 (the 13 yr old would understand). I do not want them to think about such things right now. They love and respect animals. Let them not worry about the $$$ side and Shadow's health issues, and Dad's health issues etc.

I am so glad I have this site.

More research and fund raiser planning. I think I need to go play with my son and dogs too.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was on the very wonderful Beagle rescue that was going to post and help me re home Bella. AND gave me wonderful advice about her allergies, told me how beautiful she is...
I am keeping her, and hopefully Shadow.
I am frustrated. It stems a lot from the past and my Jack Russell, 4 yrs of trying to get her well.
Anyway I love this poem, hope it is OK to post it. I will read it when I get frustrated with my rescues and people say "3 grand? I tell you what I would do with that dog!"

JUST A DOG................

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance traveled,
the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog.
" Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was " just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog,"
and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog,"
then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."
"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.
So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.
"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man."
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."
by Richard Biby, Contributing Editor
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

1 - 19 of 19 Posts