German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just purchased my first GSD pup. I pick her up on the 20th when she is 8 weeks old. I am a little concerned about bringing her into the home with a female and male Bernese. I'll give a little background..I'm graduating college so this is my first dog I can call my own. Growing up I had a female Dalmatian. She never hurt another dog but never cared for other dogs and seemed to have little patience with other dogs ans strangers. Now that she has passed due to old age, my parents bought a female Bernese 3 years ago. They then decided to breed her and we kept a male puppy. So now we have Bella who is about 3 and duke is a little over a year. Duke is very playful and is afraid of his own shadow. Bella keeps to herself, puts duke in his place when he is rough with her when he is playing. Afterall he is a 105 lb puppy. They are very socialized. They go to the dog park everyday and are around other dogs at home often. My brother has two dogs, a male and a female who often spend nights and duke just wants to play and Bella just doesn't care to pay attention to them. Her puppies are also all local and we sometimes dog sit and she also doesn't really care for them either. I mean she says hi but she will just lay down and mind her own even if they don't. We have also dog sat for my uncle who has a full grown female pitbull and Bella played with her but then minded her own again. They are the sweetest dogs. All they want is attention from my parents. I keep reading about female gsds not getting along with other females. I chose a female because I read they can be a little more independent and I didn't want to have to deal with a male marking his territory especially with 2 other dogs in the house. From this information, do you think I will have a problem with Bella and my female gsd? I probably won't be living with my parents by the time she is 2 so she would only be living with Bella and duke for that time. I have a lot of free time since I only work part time, 4 hour shifts. I plan to spend the rest of my time training and socializing my pup. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I am no expert, but I think it will be fine. Sounds like the Bernies are super well socialized. Bella will likely put your puppy in its place a few times; let her. I would restrain the pup from bothering the big dogs too much. I would just introduce carefully and proceed slowly and they will be best friends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am no expert, but I think it will be fine. Sounds like the Bernies are super well socialized. Bella will likely put your puppy in its place a few times; let her. I would restrain the pup from bothering the big dogs too much. I would just introduce carefully and proceed slowly and they will be best friends.
Thank you for the assurance. It will be interesting to see if Bella even puts the puppy in her place. I wonder if her being a mother of several puppies before would make a difference in her tolerance towards a puppy. She's let my brothers shepherd mix puppy play all over her. She's extremely laid back. Duke is a gentle giant. I'm sure he will love her without a doubt

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well socialized dogs generally give puppies a lot of leeway...as they are just puppies. Once your girl gets about 6 months, that leeway may start to fade and she'll get more corrections from the older dogs. However, that okay and as long as its not aggressive biting, its actually really good for puppies to learn manners from older well behaved dogs. I swear pups learn faster from their own kind ;)

That being said, I've introduced puppies into the homes of other adult dogs before, for the benefit of all the dogs I would make sure everyone has their own "safe place." The puppy should not be allowed near the other dogs crates and beds. Its important that when the older dogs want space from the puppy, they can have it. That will keep the "omg wth is thing thing infringing on my territory" down, if that makes any sense.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. GO slowly, be patient and stay calm.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We brought Nita (our GSD) into a house with larger, older dogs and she was fine :)

She is 1 now and still tries to play with Koda our younger Samoyed. But Kenai is done with the puppies, so he just stays away from her. She likes to pester so he has had to grumble at her a few times.

Koda just gives Nita his Elvis lip while she pesters him and tries to get him to play with her.

So I'm thinking your new pup will be fine with the Berners :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good to know! I think Bella will just mind her own and bark at the puppy if she pesters her to much. We shall see! Thank you for sharing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts