German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here, have been lurking for a little while but this is my first post. We just bought our very first GSD Puppy from Adam Kuhn so the puppy is Haus Kuhn. We have only had the puppy for 2 weeks and I am totally in love with him. He is however a handful but he is a puppy so that's expected plus he seems to be a working line dog so double that energy. :wild: My question is how long does it take to train a puppy to be completely house broke? Its been awhile since I had a puppy so its sort of a blur to me now. This little guy seems to be super smart. I already manged to train him sit, come, retrieve the ball, and he is almost trained for down commend. He does all but down commend without a treat now but I still give him treats for doing those things just not every time as I used to. He is now able to hold his pee pretty much entire night when in his create and he knows as soon as I let him out of the create we go outside to potty. However he is still having accidents and not asking to go while he is playing. I am super patient with him and just try to catch him in the act which I do for the most part and we go outside right away. The little guy is only 10 weeks old so very young. I just want to have an idea from those of you who have had to train a GSD puppy and find out how quickly do they catch on to the house breaking part.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy! We love puppy pics around here, just sayin.....

It sounds like you are on the right track. You cannot expect perfect potty training right now. Impressive he can go through the night already. From my recent experience (we got ours at 4 months) he got the basics pretty fast but in the beginning it was very much on us to take him every 2 hours, or else he would go inside. Gradually it went to 3 hours, and the accidents were fewer and farther between. I'd say within 2 months we were pretty accident-free (keep in mind he was an older puppy than yours) aside from some upset tummy issues. I'd say keep up what you're doing, with a dose of patience and an enzyme cleaner handy just in case ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response VWITT! The first 4 days when we got the puppy he could not get through the night without either waking me up twice or pee in his crate. He has been pretty good for the past 3 days so I am thinking he is getting there. I always take him out before I put him in a crate and every time he pees or poops outside I make a big deal over it and give him a treat. He loves his treats so while he does his business he looks at me to make sure I have them ready. :) He is the cutest little guy. I will certainly share pictures with everyone. I have some in my phone but will take some with my professional camera this weekend and make sure to post them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm new here too and your puppy sounds a lot like mine. The first week she would wake us up like clockwork about 1am. Then it moved to 3am. By 10 weeks old she was making it through the night with no problem, but very eager to go out as soon as she woke up. We put her to bed about 10:30 and she's out by 5:30. She's almost 16 weeks now and never has any problem overnight. Now when we open her crate, she's way more interested in stretching and crawling into our laps for belly rubs. We still go out right away, but it's not urgent the way it was.

Morgan was (and still sometimes is) exactly the same way with playing. We'd play fetch in the kitchen and about the fifth throw, peeing. As she got older, we could tell when she wanted to go because she'd take the ball in the dining room (closer to the door) instead of returning it. If we didn't jump up immediately, peeing. So my advice is that when playing, stop every 5-10 minutes, go out, come back in and continue playing. Do that even if he's just gone. When playing, I think it's not that they can't hold it, but that they get so excited. Or maybe their tiny bladder just gets all shook up. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Wendy for your post! My puppy plays with my 15lb chi mix and the two are all over the place; up and down stairs, living room, dining room, you name it. I try to keep them by me when they play so that I can watch him but its not always possible. I am pretty good in catching him and figuring out when he has to go. But you are right I should try to stop their playing and take him out for a few minutes allowing him to pee outside. Does your puppy cry or did she cry in her crate? My boy will cry for like 5 minutes than he goes to sleep. In the beginning it was lots of crying before he went to sleep but he is getting much better now days. To make sure he doesn't think the crate is punishment we feed him in it so he is always happy to go into his crate when he is waiting for his food. He doesn't even mind me closing the door on him when he goes in to get his food. I think he just gets upset that he is alone in a crate while other dogs in the house are free to do what they wish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ohhh, playing with other dogs, not with you. Yes, that would be harder to keep an eye on but I would still stop periodically to take him out and then right back to playing.

Mine never cried much in her crate. She would whine for maybe a minute or two and then settle down. She's actually never whined much at all for anything. I think she figured out that it never gets her anywhere. What she does do in her crate is fidget fidget fidget. She'd actually do that more when she needed to go out than crying. It's just as annoying. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankfully my puppy doesn't move around in the crate too much just whine for a while. ;) He is getting much better though, its no more than 5 minutes of noise and than he just goes to sleep. He does whine when he has to go while in his crate. I just wish to translate that to when he is playing and free in the house. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts