German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my puppy for about a week and a half, I ended up getting him at 6 weeks, and have been trying to work with him.

He is always (ALWAYS) LAzy, Runs from me, Will not eat treats ( Cat food with soft in the middle) (Before you go saying you cant do it, Yes you can.) - Rita Fromheart- Schh Trainer

Either way, It runs away, wakes up to eat, sleeps all day, never active.. When i try to leash train ( About a week now) He just lays down, So i give him nudges and pulls and make him walk, I've Showed dominance.

What am I missing?

At this point it is becoming a bit annoying, And my calm assertive attitude is nearly going down the drain.

Would love some feedback with a bit more knowledge then i have.

Is He Sick maybe?

·
Super Moderator
2,805 Posts
Let your puppy be a puppy. It's a baby! It sound like a soft dog on top of that.

I would stop all training and just encourage behaviors in a positive manner. They leash I'd just there to keep the dog safe. Everything you eventually want the dog to do, has to be rewarding for the dog. You dragging it around on a leash is not rewarding.

Fun fun fun, treats treats treats, play with your puppy. You have all the time in the world to train when the puppy is ready to learn... months down the road.

David Winners

·
Registered
443 Posts
So he's almost eight weeks old now?

I was surprised when I first got her how lazy my puppy seemed, but really at that age they do a ton of sleeping, eating, and growing. They have tiny attention spans too. It wouldn't hurt to have a vet check and be sure he's okay though.

Walking on a leash can be pretty boring for a tiny puppy. He doesn't know what you want, and if you're dragging him around, he's not likely to develop a better attitude about it. You're not showing him dominance; you don't need to dominate a puppy. You need to be interesting to him.

Is he at all interested in being outside? Will he chase a toy dragged on the ground or a ball or anything? Will he seek out food if you hide it, like under a paper cup or a piece of paper or something? If he likes his food, just use that for training/playing/creating a bond. Or a bit of plain boiled chicken (nothing greasy, it might be hard on a young stomach).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So he's almost eight weeks old now?

I was surprised when I first got her how lazy my puppy seemed, but really at that age they do a ton of sleeping, eating, and growing. They have tiny attention spans too. It wouldn't hurt to have a vet check and be sure he's okay though.

Walking on a leash can be pretty boring for a tiny puppy. He doesn't know what you want, and if you're dragging him around, he's not likely to develop a better attitude about it. You're not showing him dominance; you don't need to dominate a puppy. You need to be interesting to him.

Is he at all interested in being outside? Will he chase a toy dragged on the ground or a ball or anything? Will he seek out food if you hide it, like under a paper cup or a piece of paper or something? If he likes his food, just use that for training/playing/creating a bond. Or a bit of plain boiled chicken (nothing greasy, it might be hard on a young stomach).

i was told to start training as soon as i got him, im not dragging persay, but i make him walk and get up

he likes to smell around outside and lay down. not interested in food like you would think. i put him in a crate after he eats for 15-20 minutes, take him outside for him to just lay down and not "Go Potty" every now and then he does go.. but more of a nothing...

I suppose it is normal about him sleeping, but it just seems like a lot, my Nikki is one, and when she was 8 weeks she was wild!

Puppy Seems soft? what does that mean? as in a big ol baby? I want it to toughen up haha, I am interested in putting him in some sch training as soon as i can.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I actually brought a pup home once at 5 weeks- totally weened I will add.

Puppies do these things the most- eat, sleep, pee, poop.

Both of mine seemed to be fat, sleepy, eating machines for the first few weeks. I guarantee once the pup hits that 12 -15 week mark you will long for these lazy days.

Of course I would think a vet check couldn't hurt anything to be safe. However, since you asked for advice here it comes...

At six weeks old, you should not expect too much out of anything, let alone a puppy. In the first few weeks all you should focus on is letting him adjust to his new home and potty training. At that age I would not even worry about leash training. A pup that young isn't physically able to go on long walks anyway....short strolls are good, but too much physical activity too soon could actually do some damage, physically that is.

Also, leashes are big scary things to a pup that small. Start out by letting him see it, smell it, and drag it around during a normal routine at home (of course supervised and take it off when done).

You will know when it's time to try and up the length and duration of activity....trust me, he will let you know.

Right now I would just focus on the earlier mentioned and creating a trusting bond. At six weeks old trying to assert your dominance will be through things like house training and feeding times.

I currently have a real bad ass dog, who when I first brought him home- would not even look at a ball, squirrel, tug, etc. All he did was eat and sleep. After a few weeks with me, oh boy did that change. Actually, this has been true of all my dogs when they were pups.

The best thing you can do is be patient and don't worry. After all, he is a baby, but won't stay that way for long. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like you got him young and he may not be ready for that stuff yet. Most pups should stay with mother and litter until about 8 weeks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let your puppy be a puppy. It's a baby! It sound like a soft dog on top of that.

I would stop all training and just encourage behaviors in a positive manner. They leash I'd just there to keep the dog safe. Everything you eventually want the dog to do, has to be rewarding for the dog. You dragging it around on a leash is not rewarding.

Fun fun fun, treats treats treats, play with your puppy. You have all the time in the world to train when the puppy is ready to learn... months down the road.

David Winners
I dont really even need a leash where i live. I was just told to keep it on a lease. So shall I just let it run around? My Nikke And Pig are off leash too.

Whats the best age to start really training?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you got him young and he may not be ready for that stuff yet. Most pups should stay with mother and litter until about 8 weeks.
Yea I know that. I drove A long way and spent a bit too much money to go home empty handed as selfish as that sounds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mia was a big slug when I first got her. And a leash was pointless at that age, it's like trying to walk a furry rock.
YOU ARE NOT KIDDING!!

Marley hates it and wants nothing to do with it.

I will be buying a prong collar here in the next week. That was another tip.

but what age should I start?

·
Registered
482 Posts
YOU ARE NOT KIDDING!!

She was probably around 3 months when I started trying to walk her. I'd drive her down to the park, put her in the field with her leash on and just kinda walk around behind her wherever she went - Just so she got used to walking around with it on.

I really wouldn't use a prong collar on such a young dog.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
find a trainer. forget about a prong on a 7 week old pup.

YOU ARE NOT KIDDING!!

The Prong collar resembles the mothers mouth, So I figure what better to start young then?

·
Registered
942 Posts
A prong collar. Dominant against at 6wk old puppy? Really? You drove to far to leave empty handed? What breeder let you take a 6 week old puppy?

You are teaching it right now that you are a bully. At 6 weeks they are the equivalent of a 6mo-1yr old human....really hope you dont have human children if this is how impatient you are with a pup! Let it be a baby! No training needed right now. Play, bonding, hanging out, relaxing and loving are all you need to do right now!

·
Registered
443 Posts
But what for? Walking? Being poked with a prong won't get him interested in walking with you. Building a bond will. You can hand-feed to help build a bond. That's how I started training both mine. I'd say their name and they'd get a little food, repeat, repeat, until the meal is done. It helps make you interesting and gets them used to looking for you for good things.

I'm not against prongs. I used one to help train my male when we first got him. I just don't know why a puppy would need one

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
find a trainer. forget about a prong on a 7 week old pup.
OK Will Do.

I live at least 1-2 hours away from any trainer, I am 8 miles north of Ripley WV.

I looked last night and Charleston/Huntington WV is the only trainers near, And I Sure as heck cant drive that far twice a week.

I was thinking about doing as much as i can myself, then sending him off to SCHH/Boarding?

That's why I have been trying to train him, I will wait a few weeks, For him , And my patience.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Waaaay to soon for a prong. Let the pup be a pup for a while. Build a bond and trust, be fun. After a few more weeks, work on simple stuff like sit and move on from there, no need to rush.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But what for? Walking? Being poked with a prong won't get him interested in walking with you. Building a bond will. You can hand-feed to help build a bond. That's how I started training both mine. I'd say their name and they'd get a little food, repeat, repeat, until the meal is done. It helps make you interesting and gets them used to looking for you for good things.

I'm not against prongs. I used one to help train my male when we first got him. I just don't know why a puppy would need one
That is a good idea, I don't like when he runs from me. So I will lighten up, and let him and I/Family bond. That seems like the idea for now, When he gets about 3 months I will start in on him then.

Any other ideas on helping me build a bond would be great!

My 1 year female gsd wont leave my side. Even when I am mowing.

I work away from home 2 weeks at a time, then 2 off. So i have a lot of time when off, and not much when on. So my wife is just as avid as I.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A prong collar. Dominant against at 6wk old puppy? Really? You drove to far to leave empty handed? What breeder let you take a 6 week old puppy?

You are teaching it right now that you are a bully. At 6 weeks they are the equivalent of a 6mo-1yr old human....really hope you dont have human children if this is how impatient you are with a pup! Let it be a baby! No training needed right now. Play, bonding, hanging out, relaxing and loving are all you need to do right now!
Yes I do have children, 3 and I do just fine. The only reason I have been working with him is because i have seen/Heard people saying that at 8 weeks they can have a puppy finished with basic obedience. So I figured I'd like that too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts