German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toliver, GSD puppy in need of rescue in New Orleans. To anyone interested, I will help with adoption costs, transport, or anything else I can do.

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Oddly, this shelter has NOT contacted breed rescues, even though we have dedicated puppy fosters who do socialization, foundational training, and hand over super-star puppies for adoption -- and only put them in breed-experienced homes that knows what they're getting with a puppy, have a contractual obligation to do training, and stellar references. This shelter only ever seems to reach out us for help with pulling aggressive dogs that we'd honestly not want to take -- they seem to not have any understanding of what breed rescue is (prioritizing temperament), or why we don't pull aggressive dogs. Other shelters call breed rescue first for puppies because they know they'll have all the advantages we can muster -- and we'll be their safety net for life. We ALSO pull those shelters' seniors, hit-by-car injured dogs, severely ill dogs, etc. because we have that kind of relationship. LASPCA doesn't seem to want to develop that kind of relationship with breed rescues, at least as far as I can tell. We haven't been able to figure out how to work with them in the way that we do with other shelters. Jeff. Parish Animal Shelter is the opposite -- they're amazing to work with, have great relationships (and personal friendships) with rescue people, and are probably my favorite shelter to work with in the entire state. We pull more dogs from them than from anybody. And it's not just me who loves them -- they even have great relationships with out-of-state breed rescues for transport. Same metro area...radically different approaches.

Sadly, the return rate in Louisiana in placing puppies out of a shelter is sky-high -- like over 50%. I was a shelter volunteer for a long time. Most of them come back as adolescents....and heartworm positive...because shelter adopters dramatically underestimate the work involved in raising a GSD pup. Please, please, please screen your adopters carefully -- breed experience, training AND vet references, etc. all really matter with improving your odds for puppies. I really hope that it works out for this guy!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oddly, this shelter has NOT contacted breed rescues, even though we have dedicated puppy fosters who do socialization, foundational training, and hand over super-star puppies for adoption -- and only put them in breed-experienced homes that knows what they're getting with a puppy, have a contractual obligation to do training, and stellar references. This shelter only ever seems to reach out us for help with pulling aggressive dogs that we'd honestly not want to take -- they seem to not have any understanding of what breed rescue is (prioritizing temperament), or why we don't pull aggressive dogs. Other shelters call breed rescue first for puppies because they know they'll have all the advantages we can muster -- and we'll be their safety net for life. We ALSO pull those shelters' seniors, hit-by-car injured dogs, severely ill dogs, etc. because we have that kind of relationship. LASPCA doesn't seem to want to develop that kind of relationship with breed rescues, at least as far as I can tell. We haven't been able to figure out how to work with them in the way that we do with other shelters. Jeff. Parish Animal Shelter is the opposite -- they're amazing to work with, have great relationships (and personal friendships) with rescue people, and are probably my favorite shelter to work with in the entire state. We pull more dogs from them than from anybody. And it's not just me who loves them -- they even have great relationships with out-of-state breed rescues for transport. Same metro area...radically different approaches.

Sadly, the return rate in Louisiana in placing puppies out of a shelter is sky-high -- like over 50%. I was a shelter volunteer for a long time. Most of them come back as adolescents....and heartworm positive...because shelter adopters dramatically underestimate the work involved in raising a GSD pup. Please, please, please screen your adopters carefully -- breed experience, training AND vet references, etc. all really matter with improving your odds for puppies. I really hope that it works out for this guy!
Thanks! And I’m not so confident in jpas. I’ve had a horrible experience there (westbank shelter) and I will not support them bc of the rudeness, unprofessionalism and inappropriate ways in which I was treated/have seen others treated there. I have an adopted dog that I got from there 2 years ago who is great and my experience was much different 2 years ago than recently. But it definitely does amaze me at the amount of people that adopt dogs as puppies just to return them later with health conditions etc. it’s truly sad

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Lol - you're dealing with the wrong side of the river. There has been tremendous staff turnover in the WB shelter of JPAS -- and two years ago the WB shelter was in the midst of full-blown crisis and drama. The experienced Shepherd people are all across the river. For years, I've worked with the experienced pros at the main shelter (1 Humane Way) -- if there's a WB dog they want me to take, it goes to the EB shelter for vet evaluation and temp test because they know exactly what I need to know, and what kind of dogs I like to pull. They're brutally honest about temperament with me -- no sugar coating. Dr. Wisdom, Mimi (staff), and Melanie (head volunteer) are the only people there that I work with because they're all SO good. If we could clone the three of them and put them in every shelter, the number of great dogs getting out alive would skyrocket.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol - you're dealing with the wrong side of the river. There has been tremendous staff turnover in the WB shelter of JPAS -- and two years ago the WB shelter was in the midst of full-blown crisis and drama. The experienced Shepherd people are all across the river. For years, I've worked with the experienced pros at the main shelter (1 Humane Way) -- if there's a WB dog they want me to take, it goes to the EB shelter for vet evaluation and temp test because they know exactly what I need to know, and what kind of dogs I like to pull. They're brutally honest about temperament with me -- no sugar coating. Dr. Wisdom, Mimi (staff), and Melanie (head volunteer) are the only people there that I work with because they're all SO good. If we could clone the three of them and put them in every shelter, the number of great dogs getting out alive would skyrocket.
Good to know that it’s not both sides of the river. I have no updates on this pup. Not sure if it’s still there or not. I don’t have the room for her so I’m just trying to do my part in helping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts