German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious. & please excuse my lack of knowledge
Are most German Shepherd puppys born black & tan except for solids?

Like as they get older, do they get more coloring? Reason I ask is Diesels parents both have alot more tan/red in them. Will Diesel possibly look like his parents?

Here are pictures of the dad & mom

& Heres a picture of Diesel

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Black/Tans are born mostly black, and gradually as they mature the black receeds and more tan markings come in. So yes, Diesel will be lighter, with less black and more tan, when he grows up and will probably look a lot like his parents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much. The only other German Shepherds we owned were bi colored. This is our first with these colorings. I cant wait for him to grow up
&& thank you

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I've wondered this myself. Zeva is like solid black on her back and sides. YOu can see it in her pix. They said her mom was a black and tan/red, and her dad was black and tan as well, but her Gfather is white? Not sure who that will effect her as she grows. The texture of her coat is changing, loosing some of that puppy fuzz, but the color's remain the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is our Loki

8 weeks

5 months

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
haha, my black Lulu is slowly turning black and tan! I don't think she'll ever get it on her face but her legs are almost totally tan now and when I look at the fur under the black on her neck it is lighter! She was the only black pup in a black and tan litter so she may just end up with a lot of tan on her! She'll be a year next month. Here is her about 5 months ago:

And now a few days ago:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
well, I see the tan on Titon right now, he is so gorgeous! Lou was totally jet black until about 3 months ago and then BAM! She is more tan every day now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts