German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says. My puppy broke her leg on a walk with us. She is 13 weeks old and short. Just stepped in front unexpectedly and was tripped over. I had the leash and could have should have not let that happen. But I did. So here I am with a hurt puppy and a very sad house.

It's a spiral fracture tibia on the rear right leg. I opted not get the surgery. It looks so small and it cost so much. I couldn't even afford it at the time. Or even now without a loan.

But now I'm second guessing myself. I'm only 3 days in. They told me 3 to 4 weeks. That seems like it's going to be a long long time. And if it doesn't work we can look at surgery. That's what I was told when I went back to the ER today. I wanted to just get a loan and do it today.

I have two other dogs. They are both doing great despite their age. Everyone's health is good and this broken leg should heal. I guess it sounds so stupid. I've just never experienced anything like this. I'll try to post up the pictures of the leg soon.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry. Accidents happen,and puppies are unpredictable. Please don't feel guilty, about her leg or your decision about the surgery. Just keep up with the vet visits and proceed as needed. Hope she's better soon.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I’m very sorry you guys are going through this! Don’t blame yourself. Accidents happen, and you can’t prevent every little thing. I also understand the concern about vet bills. I just got my puppy pet insurance, and I recommend you get it for your puppy as well! It won’t cover the leg because it’s pre existing, but it will cover future accidents. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have and had pet insurance. Minus the surgey option it is covered. It was just a basic that paid out 500 max. Right after I put in this claim I upgraded it for more coverage and amounts.

It isn't going to help me with the leg. After the first injury claim I was afraid they'd charge more if I waited to upgrade. Wish I'd done it sooner.

·
Registered
528 Posts
3-4 weeks isn't a long time at all for a leg to heal. An adult dog takes about 8 weeks (much like a person). So, those nice, soft, rapidly growing puppy bones should knit together very quickly. I suppose that's why the decision for surgery or no surgery is somewhat urgent. It only takes a few days for the bones to start knitting together, and I wouldn't doubt in a week they'd be sufficiently stuck back together where resetting the bones might be more invasive.

Just some food for thought. I'm no vet, though. Just going off of what I know about bones.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to my vet today and surprising they did not recommend surgery. They told me I picked the best treatment. The outside bones, along with the cast should hold it place. This is only increased with the fact that she's a puppy and she'll heal much faster. I feel a little better hearing that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Her leg is healed. I believe it was healed last week but I couldn't talk my vet into doing the x ray sooner since they wanted to wait 3 weeks. We settled on doing it during her second rewrapping. But the day before she ran into an issue with the cast. I noticed it that night. The good news, no broken leg. I suppose having a huge wound at the back of the cast isn't too bad. They had to shave the area for it to heal. My guess, since she is so young it will regrow just fine. Either way, it's the top of the back of her leg so it isn't too big of an issue. Compared to the previous problem this one will hopefully be easy.

I'll post a few fun pictures of her tomorrow. I know I was overly hard on myself. And in some ways I felt like I failed her and her breeder. But really, I had her in less than a hour of the accident and kept her from walking on it the moment it happened. If I ever bred a dog that's the type of care I'd want someone to take with their puppy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts