German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a healthy 3 1/2 month old male GSD weighing 40lbs.

I sleep upstairs and my puppy has been sleeping with me since I got him.

He is getting bigger everyday and I carry him upstairs . I've heard it's bad for puppies to go upstairs .... So I carry him . But 3 months from now he'll be too big to carry him up and down. I only have him upstairs to sleep and he never goes upstairs except for this.

I was thinking about letting him go up and down the stairs only twice a day. Once at night and once in the morning........... What are your guys opinion about this?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
479 Posts
Please don't worry. It is one hundred percent myth that it is bad for a pup to go up and down stairs. Let him go for it. It will be great mind stimulation for him also while he learns to navigate the stairs.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think for some XXL breeds like Newfoundlands, St. Bernards and Danes it is important to not do stairs for a while, or at least very little stairs while they are growing. I know this because i fostered a Newfie pup and i had to do a lot of research and had great support from someone who had raised, bred, showed and currently rescues Newfoundlands, i did not let the newfie pup i had use our stairs.
However, for GSD's I am not sure. Personally, i think its alright and like what m1953 said its good mental stimulation, but be smart and dont let him run down and up the stairs, he could hurt himself! Go at a slow pace, they are clumsy because because they are growing into their bodies!
:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
My breeder had in her reams of paperwork that we would carry the puppy up and down stairs for at least 12 weeks or until too heavy to carry (with threats of joint damage etc. if we didn't comply). I carried that puppy through the landshark phase ("ooooh! Mommy's face is in reach! I can eat her hair!") to the too big to reach my head anymore (and was very sad to no longer chew on Mommy's head). Result was that he had problems learning how to go up and down stairs. By the time he was expected to do it alone, he was going through crazy growth spurts, where his limbs and coordination were so off, I was afraid he would just tumble down the stairs. Even now he walks his front legs down and bunny hops his back legs down every other stair.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Our OB class involves going down a full flight of stairs and back up when we are done with class. With my guy, it's hard to keep him off the stairs. He loves racing up and coming back down since he figured out they're not really as scary as he initially thought. Even a baby gate doesn't always stop him. Just try to control how often he goes up and down which it sounds like you are. My guy hasn't earned sleeping upstairs yet because he likes to play around in his crate in the middle of the night....loudly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input:) I appreciate it:)

The good thing is my GSD goes up the stairs with no problem. I just stopped letting him because of the myth I heard....... I will let him go up once and down once per day. Thanks guys

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
479 Posts
That myth has been perpetuated by breeders. Don't let it worry you. I have two vets both specializing in large breed dogs. Hip problems are from poor genetics not exercise or movement.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
stress on growing joints for ANYTHING that grows quickly like large breeds do, you want to minimize activity that stresses those joints.

Just like with children, you can stress their joints, say by swinging them around. As fun as it is for the kid, you put a lot of pressure on growing joints which can cause damage.

A puppy walking on concrete for extended periods of time can cause stress. Going up and down stairs can cause stress on anyone's joints. Species doesn't matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts