German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my GSD puppy turned 2 months old a few days ago, we've had him for about 3 weeks. We also have four 2-4 year old chihuahuas.

Our puppy naturally wants to play with the other other dogs, but to his dismay, the other dogs aren't mutual. Still he insists, by attempting bite their ears or tail, pawing, prancing around or playfully barking. The other dog eventually gets annoyed and "shoves him away" by threatening to bite, though they go toward the puppy, they don't actually bite.
However recently, the puppy has been getting even more persistant in trying to get the other dog to play him. Eventually, the adult realizing their attempt isn't working, proceeds to actually go through with the bite. The first couple of times this happened, the puppy just backed away, but now he started barking and showing his teeth. I stopped them up before a fight broke out.
But I don't know what I can do to get them to get along better. i'm told I have to let them sort themselves out, but whenever I see a fight's about to start, I break it up. Since the pupp will eventually grow up to be a much larger and stronger dog, the little ones won't stand a chance if this doesn't stop NOW.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It's your job to keep peace in the home and a lot of adult dogs, especially tiny dogs, do not like puppies. If they have expressed that they do not want to be bothered by the puppy, you need to respect that and keep them apart. You can do that by allowing the chi's on the furniture and not the puppy; by putting up a baby gate that the chi's can get under and not the puppy; by letting them outside separately; and so on.

As the puppy gets older and more settled, it will get better, but you need to be the source of fun for the puppy by playing, exercising, and training him.

Keeping on the way you are doing it is going to end in a disaster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts