German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • Hello dog lovers. My female gsd gives birth to 5 puppies ,4m and 1f. They are 4 week old today.
    I want to keep 1 male .i need some help to choose it . Anyone can help me i want a typical black and tan , but as they change color im confused .

·
Registered
525 Posts
Doesn't look like any of those puppies will be black and tan. They will most likely be a very dark sable coloring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't look like any of those puppies will be black and tan. They will most likely be a very dark sable coloring.
I like sabble ,i just dont want to be a bicolor or something like them father in first pic

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I like sabble ,i just dont want to be a bicolor or something like them father in first pic
The dog in the first picture is not a bi-color. He is a blanket back black and tan. The mom looks to be a black & tan as well, but I suppose she could be a washed out patterned sable. Any pictures of them when they were first born? Are the pups solid black in places?

My guess? None of the pups are sable as one parent has to be sable for any pups to be sable, and most of the puppies will look similar to the dog in the first picture. You’ll know as they get older.

You shouldn’t pick your next pup based on color. You should go by temperament.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dog in the first picture is not a bi-color. He is a blanket back black and tan. The mom looks to be a black & tan as well, but I suppose she could be a washed out patterned sable. Any pictures of them when they were first born? Are the pups solid black in places?

My guess? None of the pups are sable as one parent has to be sable for any pups to be sable, and most of the puppies will look similar to the dog in the first picture. You’ll know as they get older.

You shouldn’t pick your next pup based on color. You should go by temperament.
8 week old mom . 3 of them look grayish in undercoat . 1 look black . Sorry for my english

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hmmm, yeah. I stand by the guess that they’ll all be black & tan, so no matter which one you pick, it should be the color you want. You can post pictures of them at 8 weeks, and we can give another opinion then!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think Mom is a faded black and tan, like my older GSD, Star. If the OP wants a black and tan that is not going to fade, they should pick the darkest pup in the litter, and the one with the darkest undercoat. I once asked a breeder how to make sure I didn't get a faded black and tan again and was told to look at the pup's nails. If they have good pigment, the nails will look like they've been dipped in dark black ink.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, yeah. I stand by the guess that they’ll all be black & tan, so no matter which one you pick, it should be the color you want. You can post pictures of them at 8 weeks, and we can give another opinion then!
can you see spome greyish in first pup shoulder , next to him is the black one

·
Registered
99 Posts
That yawning sable one, for sure. Cutie! Your English is fine. I can't tell where that tiny little red flag is from but where ever you are, your English has got to be better than my murdering your language.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its flag of Albania. I don't get what you mean with last sentence . Thank you

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hmmm, that pup does actually look sable. Hard to tell. Are both parents purebred and are you absolutely sure the bitch didn’t have access to more than one dog? Litters can have multiple sires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Im not sure if they are 100 % gsd , but apparently they look so , but im sure that she was bred only with 1 male ,that one in first picture . Heres a pic of my big girl when she was 1 year old . What you think about her breed. My girl and her mate are both slightly
arrowed back . Do you think that pregnancy affect in lightening up her color ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts