German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just got a quick question for you guys.

My GSD pup Odin, who is 14 weeks old, gets REALLY whiny when he gets seperated from Buddy, my 11 month old boxer/pit. Odin has grown up with Buddy for the last 8 weeks, and he is SUPER attached to him. Odin does EVERYTHING that Buddy does. They pee together, poo together, eat together, sleep next to each other, there crates are next to each other as well. Its awesome, but when I go to take them for there walks, I take them seperately for training purposes, and Odin HATES it. He can't stand being away from Buddy. When I go to take Buddy first, he will cry and yelp until I come back with Buddy. Then when I take Odin, he doesn't want to walk to much, and he gets super excited the second we turn around to go back home.

So, with that said...... what should I do about this? Its not necessarily a bad thing, but I just don't want that to continue as he gets older.

Any suggestions would be GREAT!

Thanks guys,
Adrian

·
Registered
529 Posts
speaking from experience with a king size whiny pants, I can say it may just be a phase in development that he will grow out of with maturity and training. Mine was well known for monumental melt downs in public when walking with his buddy, my parent's female GSD. He would wail and bark at the top of his lungs if she walked in front of him, people would stop and stare in disbelief. Once a cop issuing a ticket actually stopped what he was doing to see what was happening! It was very embarrassing, but with time, patience, practice and some maturity on his part, we got through it. I worked at directing his attention back to me with watch me using toys and treats, practiced repeatedly and eventually we made progress, though it was tough for a while!lol I wouldn't be overly concerned about it unless it persists over time and training does not help; he is still very young and this is one of the things in life he must learn!

good luck

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speaking from experience with a king size whiny pants, I can say it may just be a phase in development that he will grow out of with maturity and training. Mine was well known for monumental melt downs in public when walking with his buddy, my parent's female GSD. He would wail and bark at the top of his lungs if she walked in front of him, people would stop and stare in disbelief. Once a cop issuing a ticket actually stopped what he was doing to see what was happening! It was very embarrassing, but with time, patience, practice and some maturity on his part, we got through it. I worked at directing his attention back to me with watch me using toys and treats, practiced repeatedly and eventually we made progress, though it was tough for a while!lol I wouldn't be overly concerned about it unless it persists over time and training does not help; he is still very young and this is one of the things in life he must learn!

good luck
Phew! Well, that's definitely good news to hear. Hahaha. Its definitely not as bad as you say, so that's a good thing! LMAO! That is definitely embarrassing, but reaaaaaaaally funny to read about! hahahahaha. Thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll try redirecting with toys/treats. I just don't want him to view the barking as a reward, so I guess I gotta be careful.

Anyway, thanks for the reply! :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would recommend training classes for you and your pup, separate from your older pup. :) Not only are they a lot of fun, they offer some great socialization opportunities and you'll be amazed at how much your pup bonds to you. You could look for a puppy socialization class (mine was at our local vet clinic.. I tend to recommend avoiding places like Petsmart/Petco for puppy classes), and then a Puppy K Obedience class. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts