German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a very beautiful 1 year old male GSD. He is exceptionally good looking and he's of best German bloodline.
The most frustrating problem is that I cannot enlist him to shows due to aprox 4-5mm prognathism.
Does anyone know if there is a solution beside surgery? I will definetely not take him through surgery just for show purposes.

Regards,
Cosmin

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I'm glad that you won't subject him to surgery for show purposes -- doing so would make him ineligible under the rules (of a few years ago) anyway.
I have no clue as to what "prognathism" is or why it would eliminate your dog as a contestant. It sounds like you think it is a disqualification, not just a fault.

If it doesn't restrict his movement, why not start trialing in agility or obedience? I thought that was fun when I was doing it. (Two long hairs -- not the best for showing in conformation)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just FYI,

Prognathism is when the lower jaw is too small compared to the upper jaw and there is a spacing btw the closing teeth so the scissor like bite doesn't happen.

Cosmin

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Also glad you didn't go for surgery, unless your dog was having trouble closing his mouth properly or teeth going thru the roof of his mouth....

There's TONS of other stuff you can do with GSD's other than conformation! Stuff to show off his brains and other beautiful points! Herding, tracking, agility, flyball, obedience, rally, schutzund, freestyle.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts