German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I must confess something growing up I was always scared of the GSD breed because every one I ever knew was a very aggressive/scary dog. I vowed to myself that I would NEVER EVER in my lifetime own a GSD or a cross of any sort I vowed I would own a pack of pitbulls, dobermanns or Rottweiler's before owning one GSD!

So why do I own one now you ask...? Well because I obviously had horrible experiences with this breed for example...

When I was about 10 years old we were staying with my dads boss who was a retired police officer and he had an all black GSD who was a retired K9 we were playing badminton in the backyard his daughter and I and the dog got the birdie so his daughter told the dog to drop it and he bit her in the face and ended up needing 12 stitches to her left eyebrow.

When I was 15 years old we were walking my aunties dog "a golden" on leash and a GSD broke through the fence and attacked my aunties dog on leash he ended up needing stitches to his cheek and was never the same since.

When I was 21 I was walking my Chihuahua on leash however I was not aware of the GSD behind a fence that my Chihuahua was sniffing and as quickly as I could blink the GSD pulled my Chihuahua through the fence and was attacking my dog slamming him down on the ground etc.. my little Chihuahua must have fought back pretty good because he only had a minor cut to the inside of his mouth and some bruising on the ribs I defiantly learned my lesson and never walked my dog near any fence again it was clearly my fault as the dog was just guarding his fence but it was still scary.

However even though I have had these bad experiences I have had great ones more recently that made me rethink about the breed... Maybe it wasn't the dogs but the owners...

I was at the dog park one day and a kid had fallen in through the ice "we live in Alberta" the parents tried to get him but the ice was too thin and they kept sinking through and then out of no where a GSD came running onto the ice pulled the boy up by his collar and pulled him to safety it was so touching and inspiring I could not stop crying the whole day and thinking what an amazing dog.

Another good experience I have is this I have two special needs children my daughter has Asperger's Syndrome and my son has complex heart issues and an extremely rare blood disorder only 700 people in the world have called diamond blackfan anemia (DBA) so he requires blood transfusions every two weeks to keep him alive and has had 3 open heart surgeries with his 4th happening this Wednesday April 24. Our kids have been in and out of the children's hospital almost on a weekly basis their whole lives and one of the most special reasons that helps both them and I cope is the fact that they have a therapy dog at the hospital a GSD who is there to comfort them in times of need he has been especially helpful with my daughter as she really loves animals and him being around has actually taught her to speek "she lost all her speech" and ever since buddy has been in her life she is starting to regain words again. It is truly amazing how animals can have such a positive impact on a persons life.

Another example is of this beautiful GSD who is about 5 years old that walks about 5 times a day with his elderly owner "who has dementia" the dog brings out the best in my neighbor and helps him feel at his best and best of all the dog is so amazingly calm and collective he is the perfect dog I admire him everytime I see him.

I am so happy that I was able to look past the stereotype of this breed they are so majestic just like others who judge the pitbull my mom has one and he is the biggest suck and pushover you will ever meet he wouldn't ever hurt a fly... Just like the Dobermann we used to own one "he passed away" he was a fearless guardian but loving family member who just looked "scary" on the outside as he was a Euro male with cropped ears but if you got close enough he would lick your face lol, I guess what I am trying to say is you cant just judge a book by the cover or a dog by its breed there is so much more to them then the naked eye can see.

So I am more than glad to say that I have overcome my fear of the GSD breed and I am so happy we chose this breed to help with my little girls Asperger's instead of the retriever breeds "not tying to upset anyone" these dogs are highly trainable, loving, compassionate, giving pets, friends and all around family members my only regret is not getting one sooner.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm glad you've changed your opinions on the breed. They really are amazing dogs. I actually got my GSD for myself as a therapy dog, so I can understand to a degree how much they really can do for someone. They are great companions and I'm glad your pup is able to help so much in your family. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow, that is a great story, especially how the therapy dog has helped your children - thanks for sharing, and best wished for your family!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
That's awesome.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
When you have a good one that is well trained, there is no finer dog.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I have a neighbor with a similar story - bad experience with the GSD. She wound up getting her first GSD years ago, to help her get over that fear. She has had a GSD ever since. Her latest is a gorgeous boy named Toby. He is an absolute sweetheart.

Thank you for sharing your story. Praying your son's surgery was successful. Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comment I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one who was scared of the breed and wrongly judged the breed I feel like an idiot for doing so but I am enjoying every minute with my little pup or should I say landshark lol

Unfortunately my sons surgery was a failed attempt which means he will need more open heart surgery in the next few months to replace his pulmonary valve.

I have a neighbor with a similar story - bad experience with the GSD. She wound up getting her first GSD years ago, to help her get over that fear. She has had a GSD ever since. Her latest is a gorgeous boy named Toby. He is an absolute sweetheart.

Thank you for sharing your story. Praying your son's surgery was successful. Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I to was concerned bout breed, been around them but never had one of my own. How wrong I was, my one year old long haired gsd is so adorable, he such a good boy, can't imagine life without him now. PS just joined this forum, its brilliant.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts