German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m posting some better pics of my pup to get opinions again. He is about 13 weeks but his head and nose seem so small compared to other GSD pups. Could he possibly be a mix?

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do a DNA test if it really means that much to you. $79 bucks I think for Wisdom. No one here can definitively tell you from these pictures. My first guess is he is not 100% GSD, mostly but now 100%.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I’m not really looking for answers on whether anyone can tell me if he is purebred, just curious of others opinions on what he looks like or if some take more time to fill out than others. I am new to the breed. But we love him no matter what 🙂

·
Registered
457 Posts
Those ears certainly look GSD! Puppy's parts grow at different rates and at different times. One week the legs look too long or too short, the next the back looks out of proportion. That nose that seems too short to you today could look too long next week.

As others have said, if you don't have registration papers, the only way to know for sure is a DNA test.

Cute pup. I'm glad you are happy with him, no matter what he turns out to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not worried! Lol just curious and interested to know what others think he might or might not be mixed with. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
often times members will continue to add additional / updated photos to their existing threads... for comparison, to track progress, change in opinions, etc. feel free to do the same, and welcome! :)

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I don't see anything unusual about this puppy's head. His color is awesome. If the other puppies you are seeing have bigger, boxier heads, I would be questioning the purity of their pups.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
He is adorable either way. Definitely post some more pictures. It's fun to see puppies grow. Without papers, I would be open to the possibility that he could be mixed somewhere in his background. He looks all or mostly GSD at any rate. He is certainly going to be very handsome. In the 1st and 3rd shot, he looks all GSD to me, but the profile shot (#2) gives me pause. I wouldn't question you, however, if I met you on the street and said he was a German Shepherd.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
He looks similar to my sold black at that age, who is purebred. If he is all working line, the shape of his head looks within possibilities for purebreds.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on the DNA test. If it comes back GSD, or GSD and X and Y and Z, then you are wondering how accurate DNA tests are. If the sire and dam had been DNA'd and you had their information, I think it has more merit. I mean, I think then they can rule out the sire if there was any question. If they have to rule out the dam, well that's a whole other set of circumstances, LOL!

But really the German Shepherd is very divers, so much so the various lines almost look like different breeds. Austrailan dogs look different from English, look different from Canadian, look different from American line dogs. There are a variety of working line dogs too, and there is nothing that says you can't put DDR together with West German Showline or Canadian show line, etc. What you get can be everywhere in between. You can get the best of both, the worst of both, and a blocky head on a ski-slope. The dogs are still 100% GSD and registerable. Without papers, you really don't know, but the dog looks GSD to me. That and 25 cents will buy you a cheap cup of coffee at work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts