German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, can you help please, I have an 8.5 week old puppy named "Bud" who is fantastic most of the time, after only 12 days he already sleeps through the night in his cage area, lets us know (most of the time) when he needs to go outside for a no.1 or no.2 and can climb the stairs !! (with us behind him).

Unfortunately as both my wife and I work full time we can not be with him as much we would like, however depsite him being in his cage area, (which we increase during the day to twice its nightime size) whilst we are at work he seems ok when my wife returns as lunchtime to feed him and check on him, but in the evening, despite playtime and lots of daily exercise morning and evening in our ample garden he seems disruptive. He bites and nibbles our feet and trousers constantly, bites our fingers and hands with the odd scratch too and we need help with this, he is already booked into training for when he is 12 weeks old, but until then we have a fight on our hands from a very dominant pup, who has a loss now taken to eating his training mats !!!!! please help with this anyone, is it normal ? can it be stopped ???

thanks. :cry:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
learn puppy/dog behaviour. start training and socializing. don't
expect much. train and socialize everyday. i find training in short
sessions throughout the day works best. conduct many sessions
during the course of a day.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It is normal. He is a bundle of energy that needs to escape. Try a flirt pole. Usually the answer for bad behavior is more exercise. The biting is normal. That is how he plays. You need to teach him bite inhibition. When he bites, yelp like a shark removed a body part. He should get the idea.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what bad behaviour? the pup is 8.5 weeks old.

It is normal. He is a bundle of energy that needs to escape. Try a flirt pole.

>>>>> Usually the answer for bad behavior<<<<< is more exercise.

The biting is normal. That is how he plays. You need to teach him bite inhibition. When he bites, yelp like a shark removed a body part. He should get the idea.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
He's not behaving badly. He's being a puppy. He's a typical GSD pup. He's bored. Don't put anything in his crate that he can destroy easily like a bed. You don't want to rush him to the vet because he has a blockage.

We don't call GSD pups landsharks for nothing. Seriously. Go read the threads on bite inhibition. Make sure you always have a toy handy. When he goes to chew on you, give him the toy. When he takes the toy, praise him. You have to be consistent. Don't rough him up with your hands. It will only encourage him to go for your hands. Patience, consistency and time. He's not BAD. He's just your typical normal German Shepherd pup. He needs you to guide him and teach him. Don't strike him. You want him to trust you, not fear you.

Be careful with stairs. Stairs are really hard on a growing pups joints.

My little guy is 10 weeks today and has been extra mouthy. It's a switch from my female when she was a pup, who didn't really mouthy at all. Shasta was an easy pup. Dax is proving to be more challenging. I like it. He doesn't like being told no and doesn't like being redirected when he wants to chew something he shouldn't. He back talks.

This too shall pass. Go read puppy threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback everyone, I just want to ensure the best possible home & training for him and I can't wait to start puppy classes in a few weeks time. I try to maintain his interests best i can, but worry about him. I know he is extremely intelligent, even at just over 8 wks old, this really does encourage me to train him, he amazes me with his eagerness for everything. all advice is welcome, thanks for the support. glad i joined the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts