German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know where i heard this, prolly here. but as far as sub-groups of dogs go apparently this is the case???

i thought herders were there own sub-group but the gsd a mastiff and the mal a collie makes some sense when you think about some aspects of their general personalities and others ways not??

can the breed history gurus shed some light on this claim.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm not sure about the mal/collie thing but in 2012 National Geographic did a story about DNA analysis and dog breed which placed the GSD in the mastiff rather than the herding group.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
I"m not sure I understand a single thing in your post.

A Collie is a Scottish dog. It is no relation to the Mal at all. I have read that the German/Dutch/Belgian shepherd came from the same breed and split off

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i always wondered why the gsd/mal/ds cross is not more common as it would seem a natural thing to do as far as crossing breeds go (for whatever reason?) and would be but a small step. maybe cos they are actually very very different breeds genetically the cross does not work??

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I"m not sure I understand a single thing in your post.

A Collie is a Scottish dog. It is no relation to the Mal at all. I have read that the German/Dutch/Belgian shepherd came from the same breed and split off

not sure myself other than that the mal fits better into the collie group and the gsd fits better into the mastiff group, either by genetics or behavioral characteristics - i really don't know hence the asking. i guess 50% has been proved by national geo?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this makes no sense, the gsd market is not saturated???? there are more mals supplied than what is demanded by market hence the lower price, do we live on the same planet??

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
this makes no sense, the gsd market is not saturated???? there are more mals supplied than what is demanded by market hence the lower price, do we live on the same planet??
The Gsd market is way oversaturated. Maybe notbin the US but certainly in Germany, yet the GSD is more expensive than the Mal. But he Mal is not as big in Germany than the GSD. The GSD is still outranking the Mal, however there is a shift going on. So yes. You and I do live on different planets.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Mastiff is one of the oldest know dogs... many breeds probably have Mastiff way back somewhere.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
You figure those swabian guard dogs they crossed with the thuringina dogs were probably mastiff in origin

Wasnt the old Hovawart part of the original breed?, which if you look up is classed as a molosser. I know today's Hovawarts were recreated.

Actually the past few years I have seen police around here shifting back to GSDs.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Where are you buying your Mal's lol

Like all breeds, there are many backyard breeders that produce puppies for cheap. Mal's are MUCH rarer than gsd's. If you take a working class Mal and GSD, the price will be around $2000-3500 seems about average (at least for Mal's) where as the gsd will be a bit cheaper.. If you take a backyard Mal and a gsd, the price will reflect how bad they want to get rid of the puppies.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have read that the German/Dutch/Belgian shepherd came from the same breed and split off
And then somebody from each country took over with the selective breeding of each breed.

Also, "collie" is a generic term for a "herder".

·
Registered
3,950 Posts

Like all breeds, there are many backyard breeders that produce puppies for cheap. Mal's are MUCH rarer than gsd's. If you take a working class Mal and GSD, the price will be around $2000-3500 seems about average (at least for Mal's) where as the gsd will be a bit cheaper.. If you take a backyard Mal and a gsd, the price will reflect how bad they want to get rid of the puppies.
$3500 for a mal? Really? The most expensive I have found was $2000. For puppies anyway. I'm not doubting you, I just have not seen any that high. Most I found where around $1000.

·
Registered
883 Posts
$3500 for a mal? Really? The most expensive I have found was $2000. For puppies anyway. I'm not doubting you, I just have not seen any that high. Most I found where around $1000.
Yep, my neighbor has a $5000 Mal imported from overseas and a $3500 Mal from the south. These are his personal protection dogs so top of the line for him.

Most breeders producing $1000 Mal's are just your average breeder, where as your average GSD breeder would be around 400-600 (I think)

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you take a working class Mal and GSD, the price will be around $2000-3500 seems about average (at least for Mal's) where as the gsd will be a bit cheaper.
Yikes! A Malinois puppy from Ot Vitosha will be $2,000. I can't imagine anybody charging more than that, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or 2 did. But I think the average price of a working Malinois is more like $800. Now a trained dog is another story.

Just checked the Leerburg Malinois puppies. They charge $1,200 to $1,500. That $5,000 must have been a trained adult.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Yep, my neighbor has a $5000 Mal imported from overseas and a $3500 Mal from the south. These are his personal protection dogs so top of the line for him.
Huh good to know thanks! I can see some imported mals being that pricey. I was only looking at breeders in the states. Most I looked at had more issues than I wanted to deal with.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yikes! A Malinois puppy from Ot Vitosha will be $2,000. I can't imagine anybody charging more than that, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or 2 did. But I think the average price of a working Malinois is more like $800. Now a trained dog is another story.

Just checked the Leerburg Malinois puppies. They charge $1,200 to $1,500. That $5,000 must have been a trained adult.
Both of his dogs he bought as puppies. Although I think your right, Mali's are cheaper than I first posted. I haven't looked for puppies in a long time and last ones were dobermans which are much more expensive. :crazy:

·
Banned
8,988 Posts

Thank you. Yeah, especially here in the US. Europe is a different story, it is much cheaper to get a Malinois within Europe, especially Germany but within the United States... :help:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts