German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a lot of pictures here and searched a bit, but have not seen a discussion on typical GSD markings.

Emma is now 4 1/2 months and her adult coloration is beginning to show. Sorry I don't have a picture, but she is the typical black and tan with a bit of red at the ear base and forehead. I love the red showing up. Was a bit of a surprise.

My question is the two black dots on each side of the face that she has always had. The small one is equal distance from the eye and ear base about midpoint on the side of her head. The larger one (twice the size of the smaller one, is forward of that dot near her solid black snout coloring.

Are these dots genetic? I have seen a lot in pictures, mostly showing just one black dot, but the second is hard to see. Some GSD pictures here have no dots. Just curious. I have also seen the dots on the other breed that is similar to GSD's from europe. It was on the TV show Alpha dogs.

Juts curious and trying to learn the proper GSD markings.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Oh no, you have to post a picture so I know what your talking about. I'm so visual, even though your description is good!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Both of my GSD's have had those black spots. I tell people those are the bolts that hold his head on (like Frankenstein).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think OP is talking about that little black dot on the face that the one whisker comes out of. lol I have wondered about that too, why its a different color. Or I might be totally off base.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona has those. I wondered what they are and then I saw other GSD with them. So I figured it must be normal. Tell people that is where bubbi (grandma) pinch her cheeks for being so cute.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
It has to be something inherent in european shepherds... my belgian has them as well. I wonder if white shepherds have some discoloration in those spots as well?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gypsy has two on both sides of her face. I think my dad said they were moles, like the beauty marks some people have on their bodies.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The black dots are where their whiskers come out of, just like lily said.

My little girl is black and white and her whisker dots are black on both sides.
Is there just the one, or is the second hidden behind the crate bar?
Beautiful girl too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Eko has them too, I thought it was where his whiskers came out but when I checked its more like a marking, on him anyway.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts