German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Bear - 10 week old GSD male plus 5 cats - Benny (5), Nani (5), Kingston (5), Rigby (3) and Hazel (2)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a stay at home mom and my husband works long hours. Obviously I am the one doing all the work with 10 week old Bear. We've had him for 2 weeks now. So we will have a great day, low on the biting scale, few accidents ect. Then when my husband comes home at 1145 at night or when he wakes up in the morning, Bear gets so amped up that he bites the crap out of him (playful but painful) and often pees on the floor. We do our best to de-escalate or redirect him but in these situations he is out of control. Luckily he's still small but I worry about when he's much larger. Id love some insight or advice!
Snapchat-1424288302.jpg

20210112_080932.jpg

20210103_184103.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,093 Posts
If he's crate trained just wait him out until he calms down. No greeting or affection until he's calm and then it should be low key.

Reactions: wolfy dog
Bear - 10 week old GSD male plus 5 cats - Benny (5), Nani (5), Kingston (5), Rigby (3) and Hazel (2)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he's crate trained just wait him out until he calms down. No greeting or affection until he's calm and then it should be low key.
I feel like this borders on punishment and I don't want him to associate his crate with negativity. Right now we use it for naps only which was a game changer. If Im misunderstanding I'd love to hear this idea out!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think one of the most important(and hardest) things for new German Shepherd owners to learn is that if used correctly, a crate is a positive tool for managing your pup rather than a tool for punishment. Others here have more experience than me and can explain it better.

One thing, I would try is to have your husband call just before he gets home. Then you can get pup settled into his crate with a nice toy. Make coming home as boring as possible. At first, pup might go a little nuts.

The first day or even the first couple of days might be noisy. The moment pup settles down, even if it is just to catch his breath, you can let him out and have your husband play quietly with him. German Shepherds are surprisingly smart, it won't take him long to learn that the best way to get access to your husband is to settle down.

I found throwing a hand full of kibble around the room is a great distraction for these types of situations. Pup is so busy search for his kibble that he doesn't have time to nip at anyone. By the time he has found all the kibble, his tummy is full and he is ready for a nap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feel like this borders on punishment and I don't want him to associate his crate with negativity. Right now we use it for naps only which was a game changer. If Im misunderstanding I'd love to hear this idea out!
Oh no! Not negative at all, when done correctly and repeatedly :)
There are a lot of threads on crate training.
Good luck. I’m sure that you’ll do well.

·
Super Moderator
7,093 Posts
Sounds like his crate is already a place of rest and relaxation which is exactly behavior you want. He already knows how to calm himself in the crate so use it to your advantage.Calm = Access to husband(reward). Over excitement = achieves nothing (unrewarding).
This is how dogs think and and is the basis of all training: Repeat what is rewarding, avoid what results in discomfort. It's as simple as that, though we humans tend to over think things:)

Reactions: RabanJr

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It will mellow out as he gets a little older. He is a baby. Mine is 5 months now and the excited peeing and nipping has stopped. We did not crate him, just calm interactions. I think the nipping will stop soon. He has not learned his biting skills yet. Yours is only two weeks new to being separated from his pack.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Karma is almost 2 years old now and she STILL gets excited when i come home from work, or just being gone. The peeing has gone away for the most part, but the spazzing hasn't lol. i just refuse to touch her until she has calmed down.

however i am also the one who rough houses with her, plays fetch, and tug with her.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
How does your husband greet him?

16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How does your husband greet him?
Per my reading hubby has been trying to be calm and loving when he greets him. But I can tell he gets frustrated quickly when Bear acts this way. We have been firm with using "No bite" but sometimes hubs forgets the repetition. After a few "no bites" it turns to "go, get, stop, no..ect". I try to remind him to be calm, firm and consistent but that doesn't always go over well. I just don't want him to take it personal.

16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Karma is almost 2 years old now and she STILL gets excited when i come home from work, or just being gone. The peeing has gone away for the most part, but the spazzing hasn't lol. i just refuse to touch her until she has calmed down.

however i am also the one who rough houses with her, plays fetch, and tug with her.
It's always nice to hear "This too shall pass " so I appreciate that. :
I think one of the most important(and hardest) things for new German Shepherd owners to learn is that if used correctly, a crate is a positive tool for managing your pup rather than a tool for punishment. Others here have more experience than me and can explain it better.

One thing, I would try is to have your husband call just before he gets home. Then you can get pup settled into his crate with a nice toy. Make coming home as boring as possible. At first, pup might go a little nuts.

The first day or even the first couple of days might be noisy. The moment pup settles down, even if it is just to catch his breath, you can let him out and have your husband play quietly with him. German Shepherds are surprisingly smart, it won't take him long to learn that the best way to get access to your husband is to settle down.

I found throwing a hand full of kibble around the room is a great distraction for these types of situations. Pup is so busy search for his kibble that he doesn't have time to nip at anyone. By the time he has found all the kibble, his tummy is full and he is ready for a nap.
Thank you for the advice! I like the idea of making his coming home a boring time. I can't exactly blame him though, we get excited when he gets home too. We just don't bite him. : )

16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like his crate is already a place of rest and relaxation which is exactly behavior you want. He already knows how to calm himself in the crate so use it to your advantage.Calm = Access to husband(reward). Over excitement = achieves nothing (unrewarding).
This is how dogs think and and is the basis of all training: Repeat what is rewarding, avoid what results in discomfort. It's as simple as that, though we humans tend to over think things:)
Oh yes, I am the queen of overthinking. So I appreciate that reminder!

16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It will mellow out as he gets a little older. He is a baby. Mine is 5 months now and the excited peeing and nipping has stopped. We did not crate him, just calm interactions. I think the nipping will stop soon. He has not learned his biting skills yet. Yours is only two weeks new to being separated from his pack.
It's been a long 2 weeks. Because of the intensity and volume of time I've spent with him, it feels much longer! But you are totally right. He's still so young and just went through a huge change.

·
Registered
Delgado GSD 13yr, Jewel GSD 18m, Odin GSD 12 wks
4 Posts
I have a almost 2 year old female who absolutly goes nuts when I come home. We have been working on a place command before receiving the I am home affection and it's been very effective. She sees me walk in and runs to her place, and waits for me to put down groceries etc and then I go give her the attention she needs.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You could also try taking the dog outside leashed to meet him and have him just quietly take the leash and walk in the other direction. Then greet and pet the dog as they're walking even 100 feet and turn around.

My wife often lets both dogs out to meet me at the car (no roads near us). I just start walking away and greet them as we walk. No great fanfare, calm and happy.

16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could also try taking the dog outside leashed to meet him and have him just quietly take the leash and walk in the other direction. Then greet and pet the dog as they're walking even 100 feet and turn around.

My wife often lets both dogs out to meet me at the car (no roads near us). I just start walking away and greet them as we walk. No great fanfare, calm and happy.
I love that idea. Im going to try that!

16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a almost 2 year old female who absolutly goes nuts when I come home. We have been working on a place command before receiving the I am home affection and it's been very effective. She sees me walk in and runs to her place, and waits for me to put down groceries etc and then I go give her the attention she needs.
That's a great idea. He's already picked up on several words. And we start official training next week so I will have more effective tools!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts