German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm sina and new to GSD FORUM,
I have a german shepherd puppy (REX) 3month old.
2 weeks ago suddenly When Rex woke up he was not able to walk and had pain every where on body specially legs.
After visiting vet. We gave him calcium and vitamin B12 injection (because he had loose motion for 10days). During this time his back also was bended :( but after 2days he started to walk with little limping,after in x-ray they diagnosed very very mild hip dysplasia.
But now after 2weeks of medication is able to walk and even run,back is not bended anymore, but still there is a problem about legs when he is walking is correct but when stands legs are outward bended :(

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have you talked to your vet about this?

If you are worried about how his feet point outwards it's called being "cow-hocked" and it is something that is becoming more and more prevalent in the GSD breed. It's genetic, and to my knowledge there is nothing you can do about it. And as far as I know it alone doesn't do great harm to a dog, but might wear him out a bit more when he gets older.

What's wrong with your dog doesn't sound like "mild hip dysplasia" to me but I'm not one to tell a vet he/she is wrong (even though they can be sometimes). If I were you I would seek another vets opinion. Also, what the heck is in the side of that x-ray? A key chain??

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you talked to your vet about this?

If you are worried about how his feet point outwards it's called being "cow-hocked" and it is something that is becoming more and more prevalent in the GSD breed. It's genetic, and to my knowledge there is nothing you can do about it. And as far as I know it alone doesn't do great harm to a dog, but might wear him out a bit more when he gets older.

What's wrong with your dog doesn't sound like "mild hip dysplasia" to me but I'm not one to tell a vet he/she is wrong (even though they can be sometimes). If I were you I would seek another vets opinion. Also, what the heck is in the side of that x-ray? A key chain??
Yes that's a key chain, i do not know why.
Yes they diagnosed mild hip-dysplasia and regarding "cow-hocked" they had no idea and said wait for more time to see what changes will be there next month visit. :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cow hocked :( ????
100% wil be concidered as cow hocked? Or can be from weaknesse of ligaments or muscles?
Because it's about 1 month he is having diarrhea (maybe EPI).
Please refer me some prodcucts for ligaments, muscle and bone.....
I forgot to say when he is walking is totally fine just when he stands it shows cow hocked

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What supplements is best for weak ligaments, tendon,muscle and joint????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bump :bump:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Archital 6l
Catasol 30ml
Hi cobal 1ml
Injection for 8 weeks and
Glycoflex and Beaphar hd tablet
Megaflex powder give to your Gsd.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hi, Mili, welcome to the forum.
The post you just responded to is from 2015. I doubt the original poster is still around. I think what likely happened to her dog was a bout of pano (panosteitis). It's very common in young GSDs, and usually gets better all on its own, though the dog benefits from pain relief when it's in its acute stage.

The hip x-ray looks normal to me, though it looks a bit different than most x-rays taken for OFA at age 2. This dog was only 3 months old, so the suture lines on the bones haven't fused yet, as the bones are still growing. The head of the femur could be larger, but I don't see anything in the x-ray that would cause the dog pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts