German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this lovely site and there's been lots of helpful information. Unfortunately I have a problem that I can't seem to grasp.. so here's my story.

I have a 11 year old GSD mix who was diagnosed with sarcoma cancer a few months ago. This malignant tumor was removed.. but grew back at an alarming rate. I'm totally devastated about this but there's nothing much I can do but make his time left with us as comfortable as I can.

About a month ago I decided to adopt 2 GSD pups. By next week Sunday they will be 9 weeks ago.. maybe 10. (It's been a quite a month, lol) We adopted a female (Fa lala) and a male (Max).

Fa lala seems to be a bit smarter than her brother/litter mate and she responds well. He responds well enough, I suppose, but he seems to be a bit slower with the learning process.

They're 99.99 percent potty trained. Fa lala is well behaved in the morning and doesn't make a peep. However her brother starts whining and crying at about 5 in the am. I've done the following so far with him:

Put a ticking clock next to him (outside of his crate.. they're in seperate crates.. oops, we put them in separate crates a few days ago)

Put a few chew toys in there with him

Put a shirt of mine in with him.

I've told him "no" and "be quite" and I've banged the crate with my hand. I think I may have said "cut it out" and "shut up" a few times.

He continues his crying in the morning. And I'm pretty sure he's hungry. But I'm at my wits end as to what to do with him. His sister is well behaved. They do get let out to go to the bathroom after about 4 to 5 hours of being in their crates. We let them back in.. Fa lala listens and goes back to bed.. while her brother does the complete opposite a few minutes later.

If anyone can help me out with this situation..... that would be great.

We've tried the "ignore and don't respond to him" thing.. but he just continues to whine.. and it gets louder and louder.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
He may have to potty what time does he take his last potty break? He may also be hungry and you can try to feed him later at night or give him an evening snack to tide him over. It may also be it's 5 in the morning and that is his wakeup time;) Zoe got me up between 5 and 6 until she was 7 months old and still sometimes decides when she gets up so should everyone else. Definitely feed later and let him out to pee right before you go to bed. If he's still up at 5 let him out to pee, and return him to the crate with a toy or bone to gnaw on:)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Good advice Zoeys mom. Maybe give a bit of a snack or Kong to work on while you get some extra sleep.

And wow, two puppies at once. That is soooo much less fun than it sounds. :) We had two puppies at once here last year. I'd never do it again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't give either pup water after 8. They're in bed between 10:30 and 11:30 and they do pee/poo before bed. My mum lets them both out again between 4 and 5 am. And they both do their business.

Fa Lala goes back to sleep or just lays there until breakfast. While her brother whines about an hour later.. depending on his mood I guess. And he just whines relentlessly.

I've given Max a few toys.. and that's not working either. :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like 2 pups are a bit too much for your lifestyle. All I'll say at this point is, " a tired pup is a good pup."

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Well then try food at 5 or relent and start getting up earlier- puppies do eventually sleep in but for the next few months he's going to be an early riser:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just because he's not a couch potato like little sister doesn't mean he's not smart. He's just more motivated. LOL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My lifestyle isn't quite the issue here. So I'm not sure why that comment was made :/.
The issue at hand is the whining and crying at 5 am with just the one pup. They play all day and I run them ragged.

The female is good to go and I don't have this whining and crying issue with her.

I think I'll try giving him something to snack on before brekkie. Thank you for the helpful advice. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just because he's not a couch potato like little sister doesn't mean he's not smart. He's just more motivated. LOL.
Lol.. funny thing is he's got about 2 pounds more on his sister. Last time they were weighed.. he was 15 pounds and she was just about 13 pounds. I'm pretty sure they've gained another pound since their last booster shot.

·
2,967 Posts
Different dogs have different needs and just because they're the same age and the same breed and siblings does not mean they will be the same. Sounds like Max is asking for a lot more stimulation and may have a higher metabolism and energy level...so what works for the female is not working for him.

I agree about all you can do is either feed him earlier if that's what calms him down or just get up. I have a 9 month old that will go ALL DAY LONG and then ask for more. He sleeps in no later than 6:30am unless I've had him up until midnight the night before. He stresses me out. :) So I understand. I've raised 3 of his siblings and they were never like him as puppies. They were always able to power down with just regular activity. It's just sort of something the 2 of you have to work out. PLay with it and see what keeps him asleep longer. Like a new mother with twins you just might be sleep deprived for awhile.

Work on mentally wearing him out and he might sleep better too. More training, more exposure to strange places. It always amazes me how well my dogs would sleep after a trip to someplace they hadn't been before. And be sure that you are giving each pup their individual time. You don't want them to get too bonded to each other.

Good luck.

·
Registered
682 Posts
God bless you with 2 pups, anyway a pup that young, 9 weeks? May have to go out every 2 or so hours so maybe he has to go? If he did just go out and you know he's empty then ignore him, I know it's hard but try it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think he needs to potty. Stryder is always and has always been up between 5-5:30. (even on weekends) He whines if you don't get up..when he is up he wants everyone else to be up...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Agree with getting up and taking him out he probably does need go to. Just because his sister can hold it longer doesn't mean he can. (Just as little girls are pottied trained way earlier then little boys). :)

'About a month ago I decided to adopt 2 GSD pups. By next week Sunday they will be 9 weeks ago.. maybe 10. (It's been a quite a month, lol)'

I couldn't help but notice this statement. That timeline reads that you got the pups at 5 or 6 weeks which is way too early for them to leave the litter.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If it makes you feel better we've never crated Zoe at night only during the day when we are not home. So when she was like your male she would head pounce me at 5 in the morning repeatedly, bite me, yip, whine, paw at me, and rip my blankies off- she was a regular PITA;) She still will try this once in awhile and she is 13 months old, but now she is big enough for me to swat her off and tell her out,lol:D

I would freeze a few kongs with peanut butter in them and leave them in the freezer. When your mom takes him out to pee in the morning ask her to toss him one so he has something to do:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realized after the fact that when we took them.. it was way to early. They were 8 weeks.. or thereabouts. That would've explained all the crying and stuff :( Poor things. I did end up putting in a ticking clock in their "room" (bathroom) and leaving them be and that did the trick. I was getting up every 3 hours with the both of them for a while.

We actually decided to leave Max outside with his crate. We leave it open so he can come and go as he pleases. He has his bed in there as well as his toys and all that jazz. He doesn't cry or whine at all. Even when he knows he's about to get his brekkie, he doesn't cry or whine. Our walls in our yard are pretty high, so he can't get taken by a coyote or a massive vulture ;).

Fa lala is coping really well still. Thanks for all the info guys.

Zoey, that Kong idea of yours sounds choice! I will give that a go as well. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
i may be off base but i was under the impression that dogs needed to have an opertunity to go potty every hour for every month of age basicly a two month old pup should be given the opertunity to potty every two hours minum i never left gypsy over two hours with out letting her out to pee untill she was five months old. at a year i still wont leave her in her crate over five hours at a time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts