German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackie jumps straight up in the air (pretty high too!) and reminds us of a kangaroo. She also runs like a rabbit, which to me looks a little strange. She's four months old and when she runs her back legs move in unison. Kind of like she's hopping like a rabbit. She's very fast, but is this normal? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Lol. You should see Molly, she is a GSD/Gazelle/Cheetah/Kangaroo.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That bunny hop is normal in pups, but can be a sign of hip dysplasia later on. Stosh can jump straight up in the air and land in the exact same spot!! Pretty agile for a big puppy. They're amazing

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol!! I bet we could all make a great GSD video of this stuff. Our vet "checked" her hips, but just by feeling and didn't think there was an issue. But of course I'll keep an eye on her for the hip dysplasia signs. Thanks!

·
2,967 Posts
I have a Kangaroo too!!

They shouldn't generally be moving in perfect unison, but sometimes it is very close together so it can be hard to tell, especially if they are slowing down and you are from behind.

Young dog (1year) running and then slowing down.

9 week old puppy pouncing as he runs.

9 week old in all out run. Hard to tell, but the far back foot is a fraction ahead of the front rear foot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Katie, thanks for the pictures!

Sarahsmith, it is funny to watch. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts