1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Job well done Officer Shultz. Run free forever...:paw:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
so sad to hear. i read one thing that stuck out to me...something like "schultz was swung into a car, while the officer watched"

watched? maybe it was a bad choice of words, but if hte k-9 is latched onto a suspect the officer shouldnt' be watching a da mn thing. why was he not apprehending the suspect? maybe he was on his way and it happened to quickly?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well it is worded kind of off but I'm sure he was running towards the suspect and dog and then bam, the dog got hit. I mean the dogs do run faster than the people so it wouldn't surprise me if the officer was a little behind the dog.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
so sad to hear. i read one thing that stuck out to me...something like "schultz was swung into a car, while the officer watched"

watched? maybe it was a bad choice of words, but if hte k-9 is latched onto a suspect the officer shouldnt' be watching a da mn thing. why was he not apprehending the suspect? maybe he was on his way and it happened to quickly?
Spoken by someone who's never been on a track with a K-9. Depending on the officer, department policy, the dog, location, and a host of other conditions, the dog may or may not have been on lead and if he was it may have been a very long tracking lead. Or he was on lead for the track and released to apprehend the suspect.

The dog is almost always ahead of the officer, the officer wasn't right along side him. The dogs job is to apprehend the subject and generally speaking the dog bites until the person complies with the officers verbal commands to get on the ground belly first with his arms out to his sides. At least that's how it's done here.

·
Registered
604 Posts
maybe he was on his way and it happened to quickly?
I think that is much more likely than the officer failed to help his dog. Poor choice of words. He and his family obviously loved this dog dearly.

Very sad all around though :(.

Rest in peace Officer Schultz:gsdhead:

·
868 Posts
Every handler of a PSD knows the possibilities. We train them, work them, partner with them, make them members of the family and have closer relationships than most people would imagine. When we work, we know, we may have to make that decision that sends the dog into a situation where critical injuries or death is a possibility. When it happens, we grieve, we put on our big boy panties and deal with it. More often than not, the officer wants another dog and starts all over again.

The dog was doing his job, nothing more, nothing less. Like many of his human counterparts, in addition to other canines before him, he made the supreme sacrifice.

Rest easy Schultz, your shift is over. Your replacement will now walk your beat.

DFrost

·
Registered
906 Posts
That's so horrible. Poor babe!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Every handler of a PSD knows the possibilities. We train them, work them, partner with them, make them members of the family and have closer relationships than most people would imagine. When we work, we know, we may have to make that decision that sends the dog into a situation where critical injuries or death is a possibility. When it happens, we grieve, we put on our big boy panties and deal with it. More often than not, the officer wants another dog and starts all over again.

The dog was doing his job, nothing more, nothing less. Like many of his human counterparts, in addition to other canines before him, he made the supreme sacrifice.

Rest easy Schultz, your shift is over. Your replacement will now walk your beat.

DFrost
Well put. He did what he was trained to do.
One less criminal on the street.

·
Registered
897 Posts
There will be a memorial ceremony in a local park... it is not terribly far from us...and our girl scout troop will be attending with a wreath they made. They were just visited by a local k9 and are very interested in working dogs and were very sad when one of them read about this.

I am still so surprised that the dog was on THAT road....no one should be on the shoulder of that road. The officers, the criminal...they were all in danger of being hit by a car. I can't understand why they allowed any pursuit on that road :(

·
868 Posts
I am still so surprised that the dog was on THAT road....no one should be on the shoulder of that road. The officers, the criminal...they were all in danger of being hit by a car. I can't understand why they allowed any pursuit on that road :(

As law enforcement officers, we don't always get to pick the time and place.

DFrost

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
you're kidding right?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Poor pup :( RIP

you're kidding right?
Why? While I agree that cops don't get to choose the time and the place, there are times when they will call something off if it is to dangerous. Better to let the suspect get away then endanger everyone around them.

I wouldn't say this was the case for *this* situation though.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
No, a pursuit isn't called off because it runs alongside a road. When you work in the city, almost all pursuits run along a road at least at some point of time. This isn't a country field pursuit where they can call it off if it's not through a field.

I know 99% of society doesn't understand the job of a police officer but sometimes it still blows my mind the things people think and say. "The officers, the criminal all in danger of being hit by a car." Really?? They have to CATCH the criminal so society isn't in danger. You can't just call off a pursuit because something "might" happen. If people had any idea how many pursuits occur on a daily basis in every major city, they would realize that 99% of the time everything is fine. You only hear about the ones when something happens, and it's rare.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
No, a pursuit isn't called off because it runs alongside a road. When you work in the city, almost all pursuits run along a road at least at some point of time. This isn't a country field pursuit where they can call it off if it's not through a field.

I know 99% of society doesn't understand the job of a police officer but sometimes it still blows my mind the things people think and say. "The officers, the criminal all in danger of being hit by a car." Really?? They have to CATCH the criminal so society isn't in danger. You can't just call off a pursuit because something "might" happen. If people had any idea how many pursuits occur on a daily basis in every major city, they would realize that 99% of the time everything is fine. You only hear about the ones when something happens, and it's rare.

Really? Hmmm, I guess its never happened to you. Cause I know of a few times its happened, where it is called off completely or they cops back off a considerable amount.

But hey what to I know, Im just someone on the internet like you are.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts