German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just cuious and would like to know if your German shepherd is a inside your house dog or outside only? I plan on keeping mine inside but with plenty of outside time to play. When in the house do you keep kenneled? Looking forward to everyone's anwser.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mine is an inside dog, and the only time she is kenneled is when I am not home or she needs some chill time (when she gets too hyper/overtired) other than that we go outside for potty, and for walks as well as for lots of playtime in the yard.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have to have my gsds inside..wouldnt want it any other way. They are family. They get tons of room outside to play and run around though. Sometimes they are kenneled outside during the day if we are not home though. My bf and I will take them for pretty frequent quad runs..they loove running after the quad..Great excercise for them! Tires them out for a while after :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Inside!! Except for walks and going potty my dogs will always be inside right next to me. I have a huge phobia of leaving my dogs outside alone for even a second my last dog was poisoned and killed in my yard. But before that happened they were still inside dogs just got to play outside more. Oh and they are only kenneled when me and my boyfriend leave together or at night.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lily is an inside dog, she has a kennel outside for her potty area, she is allowed in the yard if someone is with her, the only time she is kenneled inside is family meal times and when I am not home. She just recently started staying outside of her kennel at night.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our dog was an inside dog. My feeling is that she was part of our family and I wanted her next to us when we were eating, sleeping, or just hanging out. I believe it's best for the dog as well. They are happiest when they are near you. I think this is especially so for some breeds, including GSDs. As you said, you have to ensure that they are given plenty of outside exercise, in any case.

Regarding the crate, once our puppy was potty trained, we simply removed the door and kept the crate around so the dog could go in or out at will. She'd often go in there, especially to sleep. If you leave her unattended in the house make sure there are no dangerous items around. ie. garbage, chemicals, etc., or close off a specific area that is safe. Ours was very good at not getting into things, but I am sure most dogs have a limit.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Spoiled rotten, lives inside but loves to go outside.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Annie is my 2nd GSD. the first was over 20 years ago. she would lay on my back deck in New York while the snow came down. she loved the outside, but lived inside with the family.

My current GSD seems to be the very same way. she loves to be outside and has done so since she arrived here. she loves the cooler temps, the sights and sounds. i can't leave her alone too much though ... a GSD puppy unsupervised is a puppy headed for trouble.

Training and play time are outside and i am with her. training is inside as well, but when more space is needed or training with distractions, outside is the only place to do it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
All of my GSD's have been inside dogs.

Lisl is in her crate when I go to work, but she is by my side at all other times.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My two are indoor dogs....they have a fenced in back yard to play in when i'm home, but rather be w/me in the house. They are crated when i'm not home and when they go to bed. Their crates/beds are with us in our bedroom :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My GSD is an inside / outside dog. I have a large, secure back yard with an electric wire on top of the fence. He likes it outside. When I'm home it's up to him. Mostly he'll stay inside with us.

We spend a lot of time outside (horses/barn work/yard work etc.) he'll hang with us then as well.

At night when it's time to go to bed he'll either get up and go into the bedroom, or he'll go stand by the door. At three, he isn't kenneled at night either way.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Inside, and usually underfoot, haha.

Jack was kenneled inside whenever I left the house until very recently. When he first moved in, he had to be kenneled while I slept as well. He moved in at eleven months and is now just past 2-1/2, so it has been a long process of him gaining trust so I could cut down that kennel time, but well worth it!

Neither of my females have needed to be kenneled, but they were both older and already housebroken when I adopted them.

We spend a goood 2-3 hours outside together in the evenings exercising, playing, training, and socializing with neighbors...and even more on the weekends.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
All my GSDs, my OES, and my mutt have been indoor dogs. My cocker was an outdoor dog by choice.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Inside, no kennel because she didn't need one.
They're so connected to people I can't imagine keeping one as an outside dog.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Free in the house when I'm not home, when I am home it's his choice so usually out if its nice out, when the heat comes he won't want out, he likes the air condition, when he is out he lays on his bed on the porch where he can see me.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Inside and not in his crate unless it's bedtime or we're not home. Plenty of walks and backyard play when home though. He's outside playing whenever it's nice enough to let him out longer than 20 minutes. Lately its been like 4-5 hours playing outside with and without us and also an hour long walk :) and training inside and outside :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts