German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard it is best for a GSD to sleep elsewhere, not in the owner's bedroom.

What are your thoughts on this?

If your dog does sleep in your bedroom, how does he do when this is not possible, or if you need to board him somewhere?

I am especially interested in what trainers and breeders have to say about this.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
What are your thoughts on this?

My GSD has slept in my room since he was a 11 week old puppy (he's 3 years old now) there was a short time (about 2 or 3 weeks) where I kicked him out because he shed too much but I let him come back in because I felt more safe having him with me.

If your dog does sleep in your bedroom, how does he do when this is not possible, or if you need to board him somewhere?

He whined for the first couple of nights and slept outside my door but he eventually stopped whining but I knew he really wanted to be with me. :(

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Is the dog crate trained? If it's crate trained, it should be able to sleep in the crate. My dogs always sleep in my room, but if I want some time away from them, they are just as ok sleeping in their crates. They don't have any problems sleeping in crates in the car when staying overnight somewhere or at boarding for example.

A breeder friend of mine has his stud male sleep in his room and in his bed if he wants to. The dog is a VA dog, works well, great temperament and has no issues. He was a kennel dog at one time, is perfectly fine in a dog trailer or crate when traveling overnight to shows and is fine with environment changes. I think it has to do with the dog itself and not the breed.

Where did you hear not to let them sleep in your bedroom?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
All my dogs sleep in my bedroom. I have a pet sitter and when I am away I set up beds in my sunroom and the dogs sleep in there. For the most part my dogs will sleep where ever I put a bed down for them, specially Lakota, have bed will lay.
Funny thing when I took a road trip with Kiya, we slept in my truck. At first she sat there like ok now what, but it didn't take long before she went to sleep.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
My dog has always slept in our bedroom. He has two beds he moves between and when my husband gets up for work, he takes his spot in our bed. He pretty much sleeps in our bed when we're not home. I don't board him, but when he stays at a friend's house he sleeps either in a crate or in their bedroom on a bed, depending on who he is staying with.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
My dogs not only sleep in my room but on my bed. I wouldn't want them anywhere else. I have never had to have them sleep anywhere else. When I've gone camping, they sleep in the tent right next to me.

People with poor control and/or poor relationship with their dogs, shouldn't have them on the bed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ours sleeps in our bedroom, in her crate. We have given her the option of sleeping on our bed, but as soon as lights go out, she jumps down and gets in her crate. Its a wire crate that folds down, so if we take her to inlaws to watch if we leave town, we take the crate with us and she sleeps in there and does great!

·
Super Moderator
32,016 Posts
I have heard it is best for a GSD to sleep elsewhere, not in the owner's bedroom.
Where have you heard this? I've always heard, and done, the opposite. I think it's an important part of bonding for puppies to sleep in the bedroom us, and it helps comfort them during the transistion away from their littermates into their new home. I see no reason to kick my dogs out of the bedroom once they grow up.

My dogs are crate trained, so they do fine if they have to be boarded.

·
Super Moderator
32,016 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jett starts out in bed with me. Then about 10 minutes or so after I've gone to bed he'll jump down and lay just outside my bedroom door in the hall.
My old shepherd use to sleep in the hall between our 3 bedrooms. I always said she was making sure no one could come up stairs and attack us..lol.
any dog I have will always be welcome in my bedroom and bed if he/she so chooses.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Joey starts out in his bed next to ours. After a while, he gets up and sleeps on the floor closer to the door. I think he waits until we're settled in, and does his role of protector.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I wish our dog would sleep in our bedroom. She is ever vigilant and stays in the hallway or on the landing of our stairs which has a great view of the downstairs floor plan. She keeps cat hours, sleeps with them during the day.

We've never boarded our dog, I sure it would not go well.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My two sleep in our bedroom as well. Their crates are set up next to each other against the wall and facing us. they have been sleeping there since we got them 8 wks and 12 wks.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
With the exception of my cocker who detested being a house dog, all the Hooligans have always slept with me. I used to allow them to sleep on the bed until one night, when I had seven of them pushing for sleeping space, I figured out I'd sleep better with them on the floor on their own beds. They're allowed to sleep on the bed when I'm not in it. I've never had a problem with them on vacation or being boarded.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My pup slept in my room in his crate until about 6 months old. Then I started letting him sleep on the floor in my room because the noise he would make shifting in his crate would keep me awake.

He was good just sleeping on the floor for a while but then he started pestering me in the mornings when he wanted to get up instead of when I wanted to get up. So for the sake of getting sleep he's now downstairs in his crate at night.

I don't think it's ideal, but I've got to sleep! He whined for a couple nights but now does well with it.

I can't wait until I can trust him not to destroy things, but I'm pretty sure we've got a while until that happens. He lives to shred fabric and the only reason that hasn't transferred to him eating the couches is I keep eagle eyes on him! :D

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Every dog I've ever had slept in my bedroom and mostly on the bed. I don't see a problem with it other than having an occasional paw stuck in my face:)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Our girl opens the door to our bedroom and comes in to sleep after my live at home son comes home for the night.

She won't sleep in our bedroom or any other bedroom in the house until she knows that everyone is tucked in. She will either hang out in the living room on the couch, by the front door or in the hallway to the bedrooms while she is waiting for everyone to get tucked in.

Once in our room, she sometimes opts for the bed or the floor. Her choice. After a bit she will go sleep in the bedroom across the hall since she gets that room to herself while my youngest is away at university.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts